I Think My Cat Has Acne!

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat has been developing these black specs on his chin. I took him to the vet at one point because he had a small open wound and some specs imbedded in his skin. She popped out the specs and told me the wound would heal on its own, she also suggested I switch to ceramic bowls. I asked her if I should be cleaning the area and she said no. Since then I've gotten rid of the plastic water fountain and have been leaving his skin alone. I kept an eye on it for a little while and it seemed to get a little better, but it fluctuated. I just looked at his chin tonight and he has a huge scab and no hair in that area, it was quite alarming because it seems like popped out of nowhere. He has been acting normal, nothing has changed; he doesn't seem itchy. I honestly don't even know what to do. I'm thinking of taking him back to the vet, but she wasn't very helpful last time. I'm just wondering if I'm overreacting or if this is something to be concerned about.

Attachments

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is normal to clean feline acne, i don't understand why your vet aid not to, it can get worse and become infected. Stridex pads can be used, diluted chlorhex solution can be used, vets also sells various cleaning agents for acne, or like stridex pads, you can get suitable cleaners at a drug store. I would still consult with your vet but their response so far is a little concerning.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes, in lesser cases of it, it will resolve itself on it's own. But cleaning it can't hurt, and if that still doesn't work, sometimes antibiotics are needed. Maybe this article whttps://thecatsite.com/ams/feline-acne.29983/ill help:

susanandjose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat also had acne as a kitten, looked exactly the same. After we adopted and transitioned him to a raw diet, it went away. It's a common outward symptom of an allergy due to grain-based food, so maybe check if that's the case?

islanddrliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat has been developing these black specs on his chin. I took him to the vet at one point because he had a small open wound and some specs imbedded in his skin. She popped out the specs and told me the wound would heal on its own, she also suggested I switch to ceramic bowls. I asked her if I should be cleaning the area and she said no. Since then I've gotten rid of the plastic water fountain and have been leaving his skin alone. I kept an eye on it for a little while and it seemed to get a little better, but it fluctuated. I just looked at his chin tonight and he has a huge scab and no hair in that area, it was quite alarming because it seems like popped out of nowhere. He has been acting normal, nothing has changed; he doesn't seem itchy. I honestly don't even know what to do. I'm thinking of taking him back to the vet, but she wasn't very helpful last time. I'm just wondering if I'm overreacting or if this is something to be concerned about.
M

islanddrliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat also had acne as a kitten, looked exactly the same. After we adopted and transitioned him to a raw diet, it went away. It's a common outward symptom of an allergy due to grain-based food, so maybe check if that's the case?
My white cats had same thing regardless of plastic or ceramic bowls. I thought it was acne or even possibly fleas. So, I deciphered things and was using a dish detergent with fragrance and switched back to Dawn. Make sure rinse all soap of dishes. Also with the sores, I gently washed area with soap and water, rinse all soap off , pat dry and put on some Vitamin A & D oint and healed up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is normal to clean feline acne, i don't understand why your vet aid not to, it can get worse and become infected. Stridex pads can be used, diluted chlorhex solution can be used, vets also sells various cleaning agents for acne, or like stridex pads, you can get suitable cleaners at a drug store. I would still consult with your vet but their response so far is a little concerning.
That's what I thought. I called her today and she said I could use soap and water to clean his chin. She said not to use anything that could leave a residue.

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I called my vet today and she said it could be a food allergy. My other cat has severe food intolerances so I use specially perscribed food; its the only one he can tolerate. Having them on different foods could be challenging. Especially since my other one cannot eat anything that might increase the crystal formation in his urine, the last time we experimented he nearly died from a urinary blockage. So I'm a little hesitant to introduce new food.

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My white cats had same thing regardless of plastic or ceramic bowls. I thought it was acne or even possibly fleas. So, I deciphered things and was using a dish detergent with fragrance and switched back to Dawn. Make sure rinse all soap of dishes. Also with the sores, I gently washed area with soap and water, rinse all soap off , pat dry and put on some Vitamin A & D oint and healed up.
Thanks, I'll try that.