I Think My Cat Has Acne! Update

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Original post: I Think My Cat Has Acne!

So I had some people including my vet recommend cleaning his chin, and it's gotten worse since I've cleaned it, which has been once a day for the past two days. There is now three rather large scabs around his chin.

I just changed his food and water bowl to stainless steel, we also got a new litter box because the last one was really old.

Could these new things be aggravating his skin? Is it that I keep trying to wash or inspect his face? Can cats get seasonal allergies?

He's never had a reaction before, and I use the same soap as I always have and he's been on the same food for a couple years. So I doubt it's either of those things.

I'm just really concerned right now because it seems to be getting worse by the day. My vet is now closed for the weekend, so I don't know what to do. Should I touch his chin anymore and try to get whatever is on there off or just leave it alone?

Help!

Ps: in the photo, that big one looks black but it's actually dark red, it looks like hardened blood.

Attachments

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would leave it alone & see the vet on Monday. Not sure why your vet thought cleaning it would do any good. I would think he needs to take a skin sample & test it. Your cat is an indoors cat?

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chin acne! A viscous cycle. You clean it and it irritates the pores creating even more sebum. I've got Sphynx and it's a very common problem for me. Ask your vet about getting a script for Mupirocin ointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would leave it alone & see the vet on Monday. Not sure why your vet thought cleaning it would do any good. I would think he needs to take a skin sample & test it. Your cat is an indoors cat?
I don't know, I've been getting a lot of mixed messages. She didn't see a point in doing it at first, but after I called the second time to ask she suggested cleaning his chin. It was very mild at first and then an outbreak came out of nowhere. My vet saw him before that. Yeah, he's an inside cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chin acne! A viscous cycle. You clean it and it irritates the pores creating even more sebum. I've got Sphynx and it's a very common problem for me. Ask your vet about getting a script for Mupirocin ointment.
Yeah I've noticed. Thanks, I'll ask.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Chin acne is a dermatological condition caused when bacteria gets into the hair follicles in the skin and the area becomes infected. This happens when food particles or saliva get on the chin and start the process.

The vet can give you antibiotic cream for this and it will heal nicely.

Changing to the stainless steel bowl was a good move. A low side makes it easier for the cat to eat without sticking its chin on top of the food.