I think my cat had a seizure

aubs1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night my cat Zoe was playing with the puzzle feeder when she caught my attention for some reason. When I looked at her, her front right leg was curled up tight against her body. I said her name and she kind of sat down and her leg curled up even more so that her paw was essentially behind her head. I'm ashamed to say that i panicked and ran to the top of my stairs and screamed for my husband to come up. I've never been good at that stuff, cats, dogs, or people. I can't stand to look at anyone who is in any kind of distress. I've been assured it's not a sign of weakness, just an unfortunate side effect from my over abundance of empathy, but i felt horrible. My husband came barreling up the stairs and i don't know if i had scared her when i sprinted away, but she had gone from the living room to under the bed in those couple of seconds. Jim pulled her out and cradled her like a baby and her body was all stiff. Her front paws were out straight like she was desparately trying to touch me. Her pupils were dilated, but she was conscious and purring. I felt like i was more distressed than what I saw in her. Jim told me when she started to unclench, and he put her down on the floor. She wobbled a bit but then walked away like nothing happened. She ate, jumped up to the window sill where she likes to look outside. She is an incredibly loving cat, is only really happy when she has a lap to sit on and will look up at us with this absolutely adoring look on her face as if we are the single most important thing in her life. It's been 24 hours. I've never seen that happen before, nor have we seen it since. I will not have the money to take her to the vet until next Friday. Has anyone heard of this happening just once and only once? I'm trying to convince myself there's nothing wrong and this was a freak incident with no underlying cause. I'm probably deluding myself on that one. We believe she is 9 years old, certainly no older than that. Any advice/reassurance would be most appreciated!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had this experience! How scary.

I have no experience in this, but think a vet visit is certainly in order as soon as you can. I'd keep a close eye on her and be prepared take her in if it happens again before next Friday. I'm sure something could be worked out with the vet for payment in an emergency situation, there is also Care Credit you may be able to apply for. Here's info on that  http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

Sending
all goes well for you and keep us posted. Hopefully someone who maybe knows more will chime in.