I think I'm crazy!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So yesterday I actually contacted a few breeders about getting a SPHYNX!
I have ALWAYS wanted one, I absolutely love them....love everything about them but then last night laying in bed I almost felt sick to my stomach juct thinking about spending $1500 or up on a cat...

Now I would pay it for one of my cats if they were sick, etc but I don't know if I could pay that much just for a specific breed.

Part me of me is like WHO CARES??? It's just money, might as well spend it on something I enjoy then part of me is like are you freakin crazy?!?!?! That would totally pay for a new couch which I so desperately need, haha.

I think I'm slightly insane

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol hey if you can afford it, go for it! Doesn't sound like you would regret it if you did. You would be too busy loving your new kitten.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Brandy,

I had that exact same problem about a year ago. I have always had rescued domestic cats as my personal pets. I have always done foster/re-homing of domestic cats.

Plus I worked with exotic and hybrid exotic cats in rescue shelters/sanctuary's as well. So that is where I got my love for hybrid cats.

Anyway to make a long story short I "decided I needed a Savannah cat". As some of you know they are expensive. It took a lot of looking around at different breeders and talking with them for me to find my "perfect" F3 Savannah.

His name is Loki and he is the best cat I have ever owned. Well to me he is
.He is like a wild animal with a good temperament and litter box habits. But he is not like a normal cat

So the point is this: first getting a cat from a good breeder means you are getting a "healthy cat". Getting a cat from a good breeder tends to "ensure good temperament". All of those things are a plus if you ask me.

Also if you have cats why would you want a good couch
?

Lastly to own a Savannah one must be slightly insane not a Sphynx, right
?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I understand where you're coming from. In my case, it's a Maine Coon; I've always wanted a Maine Coon. But it never works out that way and we usually get adopted by short-haired little girls.
That's OK, too.

I guess my problem is that I can't justify the expense of a purebred when there are so many shelter babies desperately needing homes. But that's just me.

If you get a Sphinx baby, you're going to love him or her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's thing thing...

We need a new chimney and we still need to buy wood for the winter...

However I would like a new bedroom set, a new living room set and I really want new kitchen floor.

I can't afford everything...

Do I want a new cat or new floor??

I AM getting a new cat, I have plans to get a blue point siamese OR if the right cat pops up in the shelter (we've been checking weekly for a calico) then we will go that route. Either way I have plans to add another kitten.....but I don't know if I can justify paying $1500 (plus shipping) when I claim I can't afford a new couch

Ohhhhh but I want a Sphynx so bad...I just love them and their personalities seem amazing from what I've read.

Craig however hates Sphynx and almost fell off the chair when I told him the price of them

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Savannah.....oh how I love them

Trust me, I looked at all the Savannah's, but I'm greedy and would totally want an F1
Then I moved along to the Bengals but the Bengals just don't do it for me anymore...

We had a skinny pig, he was AMAZING, he is what made me fall in love with nekkid animals

I have a Siamese now, he is my first purebred cat, I got him from an amazing breeder, seriously can't say enough good things about her and I am currently on her list to get another. I know he is a cat, I have 2 others but he is DIFFERENT. His personality is like no other cat I've ever met, he seriously things he is a dog or maybe even part human. People who hate cats fall in love with him. I understand why people like certain breeds of cats, honestly I love all cats but Oliver is special.

I always loved the look of Sphynx but never really looked into their personalities much but now that I have I am amazed! They sound PERFECT. My 2 cats don't really like my Siamese, he is just too much for them. He is very in your face and plays rough...he can take on my Boxer without any problems, haha. I want something that will fit in well with him (that's why I orignally wanted another Siamese or Oriental) but the Sphynx seems like it would be a good fit.

The new couch I know can definately wait, I babysit a little 2 ur old boy who is VERY rough on my furniture, everytime I walk into a furniture store I think of him pushing the cushions off and using it as a trampoline (as he does now) and I almost cry

Oh decisions decisions.

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heh I know exactly what you mean. Our list of things we need are as long as the list of things we want. I figure I could always find items for sale or I'll know someone who is selling theirs for cheap if not for free. If breeders start having sales I'll be raising an eyebrow and taking a step back.

Not to say I add animals to the family on a whim. We have our priorities and car maintenance has to come before adding a cat to the family but I assure you the cat will come before our couch. (we're needing a new couch too lol)

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm like you, I have a very large want list

We've never had a brand new couch, always buy them second hand because I have 3 boys and I babysit 3 kids, plus I have 3 dogs and 3 cats...so my couches get peed on, puked on, farted on (ahahaha) and thigns spilled on them.

My parents always said you will have nice things when the kids grow up and move out, how true is that!?!
I'm going to keep in contact with the breeders and see what happens I think, none of them have the colors I want right now, I'm going to talk to a few more, find the 'one' I want to deal with and then wait I guess...

I want a pure black one, I know it could take me a few yrs to find the one but if it's meant to be it will happen I guess

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am for that. Either way, I am excited for YOU
. A kitten is always a welcome addition. I love Sphynx, and I love the fact that you don't have any shedding hair. But I guess they do require some type of bathing??
for their skin to stay good. Not sure, I just think I read something about that somewhere. But the breeder would inform you of all of the necessities to care for you new baby. Good luck with your decision!!!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kailie, I always get so excited everytime you have a cat that's due, I am anxiously waiting for a calico

They do need baths, some Sphynx are oily than others so it depends on the cat, some need weekly baths, some need monthly baths but if you wipe them down daily or regularly with baby wipes it keeps them decent.

My skinny pig used to get an oily build up on his back as well if he didn't have his regular bath

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could never spend that much money to get one single pet! I would rather take in a stray and if I needed to spend that money, I would donate it to a rescue centre to save the lives of so many animals in need. You can save a lot of cats and dogs with $1,500.00.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though you aren't asking for my opinion, here it is anyway.
If you have a good retirement plan in place, debt is paid off, and your savings and/or investments are doing well, then I say go for it!

cat condos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

So yesterday I actually contacted a few breeders about getting a SPHYNX!
I have ALWAYS wanted one, I absolutely love them....love everything about them but then last night laying in bed I almost felt sick to my stomach juct thinking about spending $1500 or up on a cat...

Now I would pay it for one of my cats if they were sick, etc but I don't know if I could pay that much just for a specific breed.

Part me of me is like WHO CARES??? It's just money, might as well spend it on something I enjoy then part of me is like are you freakin crazy?!?!?! That would totally pay for a new couch which I so desperately need, haha.

I think I'm slightly insane
I don't think your crazy. If you have the money to spend I saw do it if its the breed you want! You might think your crazy right before you do it but I can assure you right when you get your new kitten in your hands you will not have one regret! Good luck!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

A Savannah.....oh how I love them

Trust me, I looked at all the Savannah's, but I'm greedy and would totally want an F1
Then I moved along to the Bengals but the Bengals just don't do it for me anymore...
Here is an account and photo's of my experience with my F3 Savannah. It is from another site (the link) but the post are all about my Loki. You will notice he is a nonstandard color. But I love him to death and he acts like a Savannah or a Serval either or
. Anyway here is the link http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/view...hp?f=27&t=7232 . That link might make you not want a Savannah
. Let me know what you think.

Also do you mean an all black Sphinx?

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I could never spend that much money to get one single pet! I would rather take in a stray and if I needed to spend that money, I would donate it to a rescue centre to save the lives of so many animals in need. You can save a lot of cats and dogs with $1,500.00.
Man I really envy you if you're financially secure enough to be able to donate $1.5k in one go.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not try to find a spynx in a breed specific rescue and save a cat and get your spynx at the same time

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tavia'smom: \tWhy not try to find a spynx in a breed specific rescue and save a cat and get your spynx at the same time
I think that is the best idea
. I am guessing you can get a "young, healthy, and normal" Sphinx that way. I have no idea however since I have never looked into that specific breed.

But I know with some of the "common" breeds like Persians it is easy to get a kitten or young adult kitten that way. Plus many of the cats are both healthy and "happy" just as if you bought one.

But to the OP could you tell us what you decide please? I really want to know
. Like I said I want to know what someone else in my "situation" would due.