I think I met my first bridezilla!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a problem with things being organised and wanting uniformity and symmetry in the bridal party. Even being a bit fussy and wanting things just so is ok - it's your wedding after all, different to just a normal party.

But when women get princessy, throw little tantrums (or big ones), give instructions - instructions! - to people who are supposed to be their best friends, and act basically like spoiled control freaks as if their wedding is the be-all and end-all of the universe, I just find it repellant and pathetic.

I was in no way a bridezilla and I made sure I wasn't. I didn't want people saying about me afterwards, `Oh, she was a b**tch but that's ok, she's a bride'. It's not ok, it's not ok to behave in a way that makes people feel bad and as though they can't possibly upset you in any way. There was no way I was having my bridesmaids or family tiptoe around me just because I was getting married for goodness sake! All the hoopla is just outrageous and what's worse, is that women think they can get away with behaving however they want to when they are getting married. Like they're unveiling their new cure for HIV and a guaranteed solution to global warming.

IMO, if you have friends, family and goodness knows who else running around for you to make what is really your day and not theirs special, then you have a responsibility to be as charming, warm and lovely to them as possible. Respect is what it boils down to, just plain old respect.

And two showers??? My goodness. I had a hen's night and a bridal shower (it's called a kitchen tea here) and I changed mine to a baking tea. I asked people not to bring gifts, but instead to write out their most favourite recipes for me, so I would have a part of all of my friends and family and could think of them when I was cooking for my new husband and myself. It was lovely! We asked for no gifts for our wedding, either. A token is one thing, being just plain greedy is something else.

I had a very traditional, `white' wedding, but I was nice the whole way through it and I didn't ask people to spend a fortune on me, either. Now that I am getting married for the second time, we had an engagement party but that was to celebrate. We asked people not to give us gifts and, if they insisted, to please make a donation to a nominated charity in lieu of a gift. We have everything we need, there's no need to add to it!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weddings bring out a completely different side of people! I don't think I was too bad when planning my wedding, but you would have to ask my bridesmaids about that.

I did buy their jewerly, but that is expected in my area. They had matching dresses but the only thing I said about shoes was I wanted them black. I figured everyone had a pair of black heels...now, I don't know how I would have reacted if one of them showed up in black reebocks! They could do their hair however they wanted, but I have been in weddings where the hairstyle is specified and that never bothered me. As long as they didn't require it to be cut or colored it was fine.

Now, the whole itinerary and the lesson on what is expected of bridemaids...that is over the top!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makes me glad that Scott and I are eloping.....now that everyone knows the date though, I think a reception is in the works for when we come home

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
*laugh* Wow, she's something else. I have the same dress for my girls, but I bought them for them... and I did ask that they wear black shoes, but I don't really care what kind, just whatever they are comfortable in. And I only asked for black because white wouldn't really look good with these dresses.

Other than that, whatever they want for jewelry, hair, makeup, ect. What is funny is both my Mom and FMIL are both worried about what they are going to wear. So we're all going shopping together on Saturday to figure it out.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Weddings are waayyy over-rated in terms of importance! Is anyone gonna want to be in or come to a wedding for a bridezilla? I sure wouldn't!