I think I may give my cats away....I tried.

adogperson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First I'm a dog person. Dogs can be trained, playful, fun, and don't release fur 24/7. I also liked cats as a kid and would play with the strays....the strays fur were outside...so never thought cats had a fur problem.

I'm in my late 20s. No kids, never had a bf and went through a moment....next min I adopted 2 cats off the internet. Both were 6 months old.

Girl cat wet my sofa...so now I have only a bed to sit on. Boy cat thought my wigs was a toy,so now I lock them away. I now wear clothes to sleep to cover my breasts because they use to try and breast feed from me in my sleep.

I thought ok cats may be more fitting. No walking outdoors in snow or storm for potty, no getting possible complaints about barking when I'm not home, and cats are like pet fish pretty much independent....well the bad traits of cats are winning.

Two years later. I love my cats. Will I adopt another? NO! Never in life again.
They look cute from a distance.

I comb,brush their short haired selves and fur everywhere still. The air, the wall, and I hate cleaning! And it's been annoying. Everytime I get me something to eat they stare at me, open a can of corn they assume it's for them and go in a long meowing fit. I turn on the sink which makes them stop and run.

I want to hug or kiss them they run. Open a can of tuna the love is shared. There such selfish pets.

I'm afraid of investing in a sofa, I can't have nice things so my apt almost bare, certain things must be locked away, fur everywhere and I'm coming close to buying a razor and shaving all their fur off, sick of cleaning fur, they being black adult cats means the killing room for them.....just feel like giving them away for a sweet,trainable mutt.

Is it legal to shave all fur off of cats? That would help a lot. I'm just tired of this. I really do love my cats,but my God....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adogperson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they have toys, post, treats twice a week.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I could help you.  I have had both dogs and cats.  It's like comparing apples and oranges.  They are 2 completely different species and each has their own unique qualities.  Do you have routine play sessions with your cats?  Obviously it's not like throwing a tennis ball to a dog but there are a wide variety of cat toys on the market.  I've actually had a cat that likes to fetch and laser pointers are also a favorite of many cats.  Regarding the fur issue, have you tried to change the comb or brush you are using?  You may want to post in the 'cat care & grooming' section of the forum for ideas.  My dog was like a walking tumbleweed, he would shed constantly even though I brushed him on a regular basis, sometimes it depends on the breed.  Perhaps other members can weigh in with some additional advice.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adogperson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish I could help you.  I have had both dogs and cats.  It's like comparing apples and oranges.  They are 2 completely different species and each has their own unique qualities.  Do you have routine play sessions with your cats?  Obviously it's not like throwing a tennis ball to a dog but there are a wide variety of cat toys on the market.  I've actually had a cat that likes to fetch and laser pointers are also a favorite of many cats.  Regarding the fur issue, have you tried to change the comb or brush you are using?  You may want to post in the 'cat care & grooming' section of the forum for ideas.  My dog was like a walking tumbleweed, he would shed constantly even though I brushed him on a regular basis, sometimes it depends on the breed.  Perhaps other members can weigh in with some additional advice.  
You're right. They can't be compared. I go back and forth. After a nap they do greet me. And i'm cooking beef liver now and they won't leave the kitchen meowing. I'm researching now if it's legal to shave cats fur off. I don't want animal abuse charges. Also thanks.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right. They can't be compared. I go back and forth. After a nap they do greet me. And i'm cooking beef liver now and they won't leave the kitchen meowing. I'm researching now if it's legal to shave cats fur off. I don't want animal abuse charges. Also thanks.
To me the the question is less about whether it's "legal" but rather is it "Humane" to shave a cat since you would not be doing it for any reason other than you don't like to clean the fur.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me the the question is less about whether it's "legal" but rather is it "Humane" to shave a cat since you would not be doing it for any reason other than you don't like to clean the fur.
Agreed.  It's not fair to them.  Cats use their fur to regulate temperature and the shave will be traumatic.  Also, they will still shed if you buzz their fur, it will just be short.  Not a fix.

cattilac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello dog person. No, it is not against any laws to shave your cats. My friend who has 12 cats and 11 dogs plus 3 birds had to shave one of her cats because of a medical condition. I would not shave real close but get an attachment so you are doing a 1/4 inch shave. I myself have 13 cats that I have rescued and adopted. I have a 4 season room that some of them use plus a protected yard they can use their pet door to go out. I keep 4 inside all the time and yes they shed. I keep sheets and little pet blankets on my furniture and beds. I clean and vacuum lots! I love my cats and they are part of the family. I have to keep my home very clean because my hubby is a very fussy person. If we have company, I take all the sheets etc off the stuff I have them on. Maybe you could hire a housekeeper to come in once a week to help you clean. I bought a Hoover Linx battery power vacuum that I adore! Great and easy to vacuum up hair. Also an air filter keeps the hair in air at minimum. If I only had two cats, I would think I was in heaven! People who visit my home can't believe we have cats. I use wall flower Freshners from Bath & Body etc. I have had a dog years ago and we had him for 14 years before he passed on. I would much rather have cats! No noise, no getting up in middle of night or early morning to let them out. Of course you must clean litter boxes or get a self-cleaning one. Please do not get rid of your cats as they think of you as family. I am almost 65 years old and if I can take care of 13 cats, you can care for your two babies.

crd08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you brush them regularly? I have a long haired cat, Maine Coon mix to be exact, and she sheds no more than my dog. She gets brushed multiple times a week. I did invest in a good brush though! I forget the name of it but it's way better than anything I've ever used before! So a good quality brush may be what you need.
My cats beg for food, my dogs beg more. If I have food I always have a dog staring at me. Waiting. My cats, it depends what I have. My cats meow to go outside, my dog barks. Animals are animals. Pets take a lot of work and they are unique just like humans.
You said your cat peed on your sofa? I know cat urine is a pain to remove but could you not get it out? And as far as nursing goes, many cats "kneed" even as adults. Usually means they were weaned too soon. All of my rescue cat do it, but I don't have to wear special clothes for it? You can either break them of this habit or find another solution. My kittens like those soft blankets. I bought a cheap one from the dollar store and they will all knead that and eventually go to sleep. They are slowly starting to stop trying to nurse but they've still kneed before they sleep. Occasionally my adult cat will kneed at my legs or stomach but it honestly doesn't bother me.
As far as furniture, all my cats have claws and I have them all trained not to scratch at anything but their scratching posts. They make sprays and tapes to train cats what not to scratch. Invest in a few posts, spray them with cat nip and they will learn that's what they can scratch. Cats are trainable, but they aren't dogs.. it just has to be done differently.
I know you love them but if cats aren't for you maybe you should consider re-homing them with someone who is okay and comfortable with what it takes to raise and care for cats. I wouldn't give up yet ,but it seems like you have. Hopefully something works out for you! Best of luck!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm probably going to be the only person here who suggests that you rehome your cats. Normally, I would encourage someone to exhaust all options before re-homing but from what you've posted, I think you are there. I'm sure your posts were written in a state of frustration but there was nothing in your post that indicated that you even liked, much less loved, your cats. And that's ok.
I adopted my cat when she was 2 1/2 years old. From what I understand, her previous owner was simply overwhelmed taking care of other animals. I'd like to think that surrendering her to a shelter so she had the opportunity to find a home where she could have the life she deserved was an act of love on her previous owner's part.

If you decide to re-home your cats, I would encourage you to take them to a shelter where an appropriate home could be found for them, hopefully together as after two years together since six months of age they are likely bonded, rather than selling or giving them away over the internet. This would be for their safety as a shelter would be able to match them to an appropriate home and properly screen any potential adopters.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm probably going to be the only person here who suggests that you rehome your cats. Normally, I would encourage someone to exhaust all options before re-homing but from what you've posted, I think you are there. I'm sure your posts were written in a state of frustration but there was nothing in your post that indicated that you even liked, much less loved, your cats. And that's ok.
I adopted my cat when she was 2 1/2 years old. From what I understand, her previous owner was simply overwhelmed taking care of other animals. I'd like to think that surrendering her to a shelter so she had the opportunity to find a home where she could have the life she deserved was an act of love on her previous owner's part.

If you decide to re-home your cats, I would encourage you to take them to a shelter where an appropriate home could be found for them, hopefully together as after two years together since six months of age they are likely bonded, rather than selling or giving them away over the internet. This would be for their safety as a shelter would be able to match them to an appropriate home and properly screen any potential adopters.
I agree.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending where you live, they will almost certainly be killed at a shelter :(. I don't recommend that, unless you can find a space for them at a true no-kill sanctuary---some "no-kill" shelters will kill animals they consider unadoptable. Sometimes black cats (or adult cats) get automatically labeled as unadoptable. So ask a LOT of questions if you choose to give them up to a shelter, well, ask a lot questions if you give them to anybody!

I mean, under the circumstances I would normally recommend re-homing them, if a safe place can be found for them. I just think that, unfortunately, that's not possible unless you get very lucky. And I think they'd rather be in a home like yours than be dead.

I think some of the issues could be helped with some changes, whether you're willing to make those changes or not I don't know. In my experience, excessive cat shedding is frequently due to diet, so if you switch to a better brand that may help a lot. But I live with large shedding dogs so I don't even notice cat hair, lol. Once you live with a German Shedder (Shepherd) and a Husky, cat hair is nothing!

If you put some time aside to play with them every day, they will probably be better behaved and you might feel more connected to them. A fishing pole toy (Da Bird is the best!) or a laser pointer should get them moving.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you don't like the shedding have you thought of getting a cat that sheds little? I've got a Devon Rex & he hasn't shed one hair. I would advise though to read up about them beforehand as they are very different from mixed breeds.
Worth a thought rather than shaving them as if they are outdoor cats they will really feel the cold at this time of year & I agree with Hellomisskitty please consider the issue of is it humane.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Chow once.   He shed. He never trained himself. He didn't clean up after himself. Wouldn't poop or pee in a box. Wouldn't bathe himself (and STINK!!!!). Couldn't go away for a weekend and leave him by himself.

I could have trained him.
I could have cleaned up after him and bathed him and brushed him.

That's just a bunch of work though.  And I hate work.

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am not going to say a word. :doh3:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are NOT like pet fish...and yes cats can require a lot of care, its really an individual thing. Lots of people assume its little to no work but you never know what kind of cat you're getting. Both my cats demand attention and snuggle time. Neither of my 2 cats can eat the convenient dry food without having issues. I always have to board them or have a cat sitter when im gone. I'ts a lot more work then i expected and sometimes i wonder why i got cats. But i love them and wouldnt give them up. I wish people were more aware about the seriousness of having cats. Theyre not like fish -.-

Last edited:

primal cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why people still think shelters don't kill, but the fact is they do. "No kill" shelters also kill. To get the no kill label and receive funding as such, they just label the ones they kill as untreatable or otherwise ill (apparently being a certain breed, age, or color is an untreatable condition). Unless they are kittens, they are likely to be killed. Even kittens get killed though, so your cats wouldn't be safe. I think it should be the LAW to tell people they kill, and that when someone surrenders an animal, that animal has NO required hold period because it is not lost. For this reason, owner surrenders are the first killed to make room for strays. Rescues in my area never take owner surrenders, because if they did, everyone would drop their pets off there instead of put in the time to either fix their problem or find a good home. Then they could never pull animals from shelters who are about to be killed.

So I say this. The cats would indeed rather live than die, and it would be best if you keep them. If not, contact rescues (not shelters!), but be prepared to get turned down. Ask friends and friends of friends if they want them. If you do Craigslist, have them fill out an adoption application. Examples can be found on rescue websites. Hopefully abusers won't want to go through the trouble, but no guarantees. Others might have more input here, but requiring a small fee is no guarantee of a good home.

Poor diets do cause excessive shedding, so try a high quality canned food or research a raw diet. Purina products (they have many brands), Iams/Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Science Diet, and similar brands are poor quality foods. Dogs shed too, even "no shed" dogs. Some shed more than others. Shaving will only make them shed shorter hairs. An air filter helps with hair in the air. Brush your cats in a bathroom with rugs removed so it's easier to clean up the mess. Give them a treat so they don't make a bad association.

Use an enzyme cleaner on accidents. While not ideal, you could devote a room to them with lots of cat furniture and keep them in there, so no couch incidents. If you do this, be sure to keep cleaning the litterboxes daily, and spend time with them. That said, if you only have one litterbox, that could be why your couch got peed on. Cats go out of the box when they have a urinary infection too, or if they don't like the litter, or are stressed. There are many threads here on litterbox problems that you might look into.

I just want to point out that dogs might be more trainable, but if a dog is nuisance barking when home alone, it is not trained or exercised properly. They do this to solve a problem by releasing pent up energy, much like cats solve problems by peeling out of the box. Even fish need water changes, parameter checks, proper filtration, temperature, enough space, the right tank mates, etc. People put goldfish in a bowl and think a 2 year life is normal, when they're supposed to live 15-20 years, much like a cat. If you can't make this work and end up finding your cats a new home, please research diligently before getting another pet. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is true.

Last edited:

mycatissyko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You don't need animals maybe... I could go on but don't want to offend anyone.. please find a family to take these cats before you try and shave them thanks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing wrong with shaving a cat. My grandma's cat gets shaved every spring (he gets matted). It's just very difficult to do yourself and not very useful for shedding, because they'll just shed shorter hairs all over, lol. But professional groomers shave cats all the time, not a big deal.