I think I created a monster

bourbonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I constantly feel bad for my kitty, he is our only animal (strongly considering getting him another kitty friend but it's a difficult decision). So when Bourbon (who is also deaf) gets into play mode I'd chase him around and he chases me and I just play around. When he was a kitten that was so fun, but a year later and he bites much harder and scratches are getting deeper and leaving scars.

A few months ago I decided, okay, no more, and now I only play with him with toys (his favorites are like sticks attached to a string/rope with a toy at the end). However, he stills looks at me like I'm a toy and decided I'm more fun... He does NOT do this to his daddy, my boyfriend, just me. But he also doesn't cuddle my boyfriend, only me, even though we all live together.

I've tried not reacting, if he's going at me I figure okay it's because I always jump and walk away or something. So I tried just not moving, but that hurts!!!! And saying no or ouch wouldn't work of course because he's deaf... I also tried pointing at him and with big stern eyes mouthing NO but he doesn't get what I'm trying to say! I figured he's bored so everyday when I get home from work I spend at least an hour playing with him and his toys, while were at work I leave toys scattered around... Just don't know what to do anymore.

Any advice?? & does anyone think getting another kitty would help??

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, in this situation, I do think another cat would help, since he'd have someone else to play with.  However, the issue is that you let him play rough with you and now it is a habit.  You are going to have a hard time breaking the habit whether or not you get him a  new playmate- I think a playmate might just make the frequency with which he attacks you decrease.

Since he is deaf, I would try employing a time out when he bites you to allow him to calm down.  Another thing you can do is to employ a hand gesture instead of a word.  I do the two together- 'no' and a firm point when one of mine is misbehaving- and now it is enough for me to just do the point and they stop and look a bit sheepish. I see you say he is not getting that yet, but it should be a universal thing anytime he is doing ANYTHING you don't like.

I think another thing you can try when he bites is freezing and pushing back firmly with your hand (if he is biting your hand). Also, redirection.  When he bites, IMMEDIATELY start playing with a toy with him instead.

Good luck fixing this issue.   I imagine it is frustrating.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Hand gestures can be taught.  We have a 13 year old cat who's mostly deaf.  He's learned that a hand at his face in a 'no' gesture means, well, "NO".  I've only had him a few months and he's learned it pretty well.

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There was another thread in how to address cats who bite scratch and rabbit kick. An experienced poster gave some awesome tips. Said to lean in, don't hurt but apply a bit if pressure and don't pull away. My cat rabbit kicked my feet every morning and I've had him over a year. Darn if it didn't work.

As for communicating, I have no ideas there but the idea of hand signals sounds good. As for getting her a playmate, might it help
To get her a bit calmer before doing that? Just a thought.

animal lover 16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another thing to do is get a spray bottle and try to train him from that. Mother cats or older ones usually hold a kitten's head down (gently) and hiss at them. They then go away and ignore the kitten...which you only have to do for a few minutes. Not sure if it works with older cats as well.

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we play with our Virgil he gets so excited he also bites and grabs your arm with all 4 paws. We use the pressure method of inserting our hand or arm deeper into his mouth that's when he usually stops biting and starts licking. Though your cat is deaf they can feel vibrations so pat the table or bed to make him aware of what he is doing is unacceptable. We have 6 cats and the play fighting is still usually still between the human and cat. Always keep your cats nails cut short, trim at least every 3 weeks especially those thumb nails. I have also found out that during rough housing with my cats, when they bite I will bite them back, not hard but enough to get them to stop and I usually bite them on the scruff just to prove who the Mom cat is. Good luck.

emused

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty Marilyn was taken away a bit early from mom, she liked to play on the bed ie: hand moving under the blankets.

Also deaf, she started to get aggressive and "dig deeper". Six years in , I need to do that blanket thing again to get her back in play

mode.She is deprived of a valuable sense and is adjusting accordingly.Try it!.

Emused

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A time out would certainly be a appropriate here as saying 'NO/OUCH/OWIE' is not likely to work with your little cutie. When hes biting push into him a little with that limb and when his grip slackens pull away then pick him up and put him in a calm quiet room on his own for a few minutes. Repeat until he realise this type of behavior will no longer be tolerated.

blind manda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone pretty much covered everything. But also if you are really worried about the scratches you can have the caps put on his claws if he is an indoor cat.