I think I adopted a formerly feral cat... HELP!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just read this whole thread. You've made great progress!

You seem to be doing everything right.  There is no rushing a cat to trust/love you.  It's basically on their terms and we have to go at their pace. 

That she rubbed against your legs is a huge, huge step in the right direction for her. She's starting to trust you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jseltzer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Roxie continues to perplex me... she was doing really well, seemed to be becoming part of the household. For the last two days, she's been living under the sink in the kitchen. She and Brutus both know how to use their paws to open the cabinet and go inside. I don't keep poisons down there, so it's safe, but Brutus only stays there for an hour or so and comes back out. Roxie would only come out to eat or potty and stayed in there, so I've duct taped the door shut so she can't hide all the time. She's also growling and swiping at me again...  any thoughts or suggestions will be welcome as always. I'm planning on getting a baby latch for the cabinet.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a reason you don't want her under there?   As long as she's coming out to use the potty and eat, Ii seems kind of harmless that she's using it as a hiding place.  Or did I miss something?

I say this because we have a cat (brought in as a feral at six months), who is either under our bed or under a chair unless he is eating, peeing or pooping.  He will allow a scritch on the chin once in while, but mostly he's off by himself and I'd say he was pretty content.  He's almost seven years old now.  I would rather he was friendlier but he is who he is.

Last edited:

jseltzer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can understand your line of thinking, however, I really want to encourage her to integrate into life with us. I have provided several hiding spots she can hang out in and want to encourage her to check them out. As a last resort, if she continues to find places to be secluded, I would be willing to let that be her place. I know she may stay on the sidelines, but she makes good progress when she's sharing the rest of the apartment with us. 

jseltzer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would appreciate ideas and experiences that will help me understand Roxie's recent behavior. She sleeps on my jacket or sweater, I purposely put them on dining room chairs where she spends a lot of time. So my clothes smell like me, right? She wouldn't sleep there if she didn't like the smell. Why is she still growling and swatting at me if I get too close? I don't try to pet her, I just let her be, but she'll growl at me when I pick up her empty food dish, or go to get a piece of mail off the table. I'm not trying to touch her, the only thing I've told her "no" to is being on the table. (same goes for Brutus) 

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm jumping in late to this but wanted to chime in-I socialized three older feral kittens this summer after beginning TNR in our neighborhood. It did end up being EXTREMELY rewarding (we're having lunch tomorrow with the adopter of 2 of them-& they're happy, loving cats that actually even great strangers with a hearty hello after a brief check-out period----more then most of my "non-feral begun" resident guys!) I tell that because.....after months of working with them (1 "turned within a week, other two (Pip & Izze) took months of working with them, slowly & gently, for hours a day (I can bc I'm a graphic designer & work from home). Lots of "2 steps forward, 3 steps back"....& tears on my part. But in the end....2 wonderful, quirky kittens & an experience I wouldn't trade for anything! So I'm here for you (as are many others!) & ill try to monitor & chime in if I can help. And here's a pic of Pip, Buffer & Izze finally super comfortable-after months of love & hard work!
A lot of my "tricks " have already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate my experience w/a few. My big love-Gerbers Chicken Baby Food (we call it "kitty crack".). It became the tie that bound them to us! I offered it initially in a bowl (not a huge amount-otherwise you'll get a lot of urping. Then once we'd established it is indeed the yummiest stuff on he planet , started sitting with it extended out on a very long iced teaspoon. We kept a tv (you could use a radio) on 24/7 in their room so that they got more used to human voices & sounds. At first we had it quiet in their room- thinking it would be calmer for them, but we quickly learned having them get desensitized to human sound helped a lot. I always "announced myself" softly before I entered the room so they were never surprised. And I spoke in very low, soft quiet tones. I "got low" (sat on floor, & eventually on bed) as quickly as possible. I was with them as much as possible (brought my computer in & worked, watched my evening bad-for-me reality shows with them, etc. Generally an average of 4-7 hours off & on alone with them a day! And I never came in without baby food! Had the long spoon by my side, ' if even slightest interest was expressed, I extended the spoon slowly. After days....many! They were eating warily off the spoon! Eventually I was able to move spoon closer to my lap, & eventually they were scarfing it off the spoon, sitting on my lap! We also offered canned mackerel-almost as beloved as the baby food! Neither is a substitute for "real food" but definitely a big part of our process!!!

I left blankets I'd slept on in the room, & we have 2 "cat heating pads" (they operate at a special low temp & most cats can't resist, so I cover them with my yea ily scented "me blanket or towel".... Just one more way I'm always in the room whether they wanted it or not!

I also always made a production (quietly of course) of bringing food into their room. Of course water ' hard food were always down, but I'd bring in a small bowl of a mix of the hard cat food, a good soft, a touch of mackerel, topped with a thin layer of kitty crack. I'd sit & quietly make a big fuss over it -stirring it, talking about how great it was. Eventually they knew that when I came in I may have seemed scary- but I came with that yummy (stinky) bowl that eventually couldn't be resisted! I made a small (very) bowl so that I could make fresh every time. And eventually they were eating that out of a spoon-on my lap!!!! Yes-it took a long time, but so so so rewarding!!!

I also blocked off every hiding spot (under bed/dressers/ etc) so that their only "safe den" was the carrier with the door off & the beloved heating pad inside. That way they couldn't ensconce themselves deeper & further away -' I didn't have to search for them every time, keeping me calmer, which DOES help!!!

Okay - perhaps more info than you wanted. But I was like you-felt alone, terrified, unsure...then I found this site, started running the routine, & it worked!!!! And lastly-do try to avoid the shelter. I've worked at various shelters-& 99.9% of shelters euthanize (in about 24 hours) anything that appears feral. They simply don't have the time for 1 on 1 work needed to socialize.

Again-sorry for the lengthy answer but hope something in it helps. And KEEP US POSTED!!!!.

I hope you

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I so agree with Kittychick.  Gerber's Stage 1 Baby food chicken or turkey is your best friend!!  I used it on all of my ferals/strays and to this day it is their very favorite.  I still use it as treats and also when I need to get yucky medicine into them.  I would often bring the baby food jar into the space with me so that the cats could hear the sound of me opening the jar.  It was just another positive association for them.  I started with a small bowl so they could taste how yummy it was.  I next moved to offering it on a spoon and then finally to licking it off my fingers.  Plain cooked chicken also works really well.  My cats go crazy for it.  I have been using it to work with Jake and Marvin on their cat to cat introductions. 

I also find that working with the cats 3-4x a day for very short time periods.  I try to stop the interaction before it turns negative (ie a hiss, growl or swat).  Start with just a minute or two and work up to 5 minutes.  If she growls, hisses, or swats, just calmly leave and then try again later. 

Are you still using the Feral Cat Rehab essence?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please try not to take her hissing and growling personally! If she likes to sleep on your jacket/clothes, take that as a sign that you are her safety. Put your jacket in the other hideouts you have set up for her and see if that makes her more inclined to use them. Remember, what we think is perfectly safe and secure and private, may not be according to Roxie. Let her decide where she wants to "hide" and I am happy to hear that she comes out to eat and use the litter box. The growling and hissing mean that she is not ready to be so close or be touched, yet. Even though you know you are not going to reach for her and are only getting her bowls, Roxie is not so sure. You want her to integrate with the rest of the house and I so get that, but I think Roxie feels your desire/energy for this to happen and that may be causing her some trust issues/worry. Progress on closeness could potentially take many, many weeks or months before progress is made. ;) She may never be affectionate or she could become your lap cat overnight.

I would not worry about allowing her in the cabinet at all. The most important thing about hideouts is that you can easily reach the cat. In fact, the kitchen is a busy place and I would let her be in that cabinet for now. Since you closed it off, she may be stressed trying to find another spot for comfort and confused as to why you took her new favorite place away Let her have fun trying to find other places to hide to call her own. Your hideouts may not be suitable to her because YOU made them. :lol3: Try not to push her to soon. I really think that you are making HUGE strides with her and it is really great that Brutus and Roxie are doing so well together. THAT, in itself, is MAJOR!!!!!!!! :clap::clap:

p.s. Adding in that I would not use the word 'no" to her - yet. If she is on the table ( I let my cats on my table :anon: :lol:) then just calmly walk up to her and gently tell her to get down. Her past home seemed a bit harsh towards her and the word "no" may have been used a lot. :nod:

Last edited:

jseltzer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, your post is most helpful! It's just so weird that some days she seems to be ok, then she'll just be "Miss Grumpy" I'm not sure I like it, but I may open the cabinet and let her go back in for now... part of my concern is that If she didn't want me to , I would NOT be able to reach her, it's a very deep cabinet. Last nite she spent some time on my cedar chest in my bedroom looking out the windows, so I put a blanket and some towels she'd laid on there so she has somewhere soft and warm to sit. She was crabby with Brutus yesterday too... they had a "stand-off" with each of them sitting on one of my pub chairs in the dining room, about a foot apart. I stayed out of it, they Brutus turned his back on her, and gave her the "cold shoulder"! Neither of them was willing too move, I think Brutus finally got bored and moved into the living room.

Thanks for the reminder to not take it personally!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, your post is most helpful! It's just so weird that some days she seems to be ok, then she'll just be "Miss Grumpy" I'm not sure I like it, but I may open the cabinet and let her go back in for now... part of my concern is that If she didn't want me to , I would NOT be able to reach her, it's a very deep cabinet. Last nite she spent some time on my cedar chest in my bedroom looking out the windows, so I put a blanket and some towels she'd laid on there so she has somewhere soft and warm to sit. She was crabby with Brutus yesterday too... they had a "stand-off" with each of them sitting on one of my pub chairs in the dining room, about a foot apart. I stayed out of it, they Brutus turned his back on her, and gave her the "cold shoulder"! Neither of them was willing too move, I think Brutus finally got bored and moved into the living room.
Thanks for the reminder to not take it personally!
Your quite welcome and glad that I can be of some help. Each day can bring about something new and when you think you have the kitty figured out, they do a 180. :lol3:

As to the cabinet - if you think she has forgotten about it, and it is possible in just a day or so, then see about leaving it closed off to her since you would not be able to reach her. The fact that she is comfortable on the cedar chest looking out the window (good idea about putting a blanket down) is really good progress. Best to try to keep her from hiding out all day long somewhere out of sight. Seems to me that she is staying more visible anyway at this point.

When you had the mobile vet, did they do a full blood panel on Roxie or just test for FIV/FeLK? Her grumpy spells could be "just her" or that she may not be feeling well for some reason OR just her adjusting. Also, remember where she came from!!! She will need time to completely know that she is safe, secure and staying forever with you and your family AND that she will not be mistreated or mishandled anymore. You are all still getting to know each other and I think Brutus is a saint putting up with her crabbiness. What a love he must be. :nod:

Last edited:

jseltzer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if they did a full blood panel... good question. She will be seeing the vet again after the 1st of the year... I will ask. Her itching seems better, and she'll get another dose of flea killer/preventative this week... She just seems to have up days and down days, my guess is she's still adjusting. I have gently let her know I don't want her on the dining room table, and I think she's getting the idea.

She watched me play with Brutus last nite, with the lazer and with the long felt "string" on a stick toy. I'm just trying to leave her alone, but show her what goes on in our home. She eats and uses the box,, takes treats from me. I'll take it all as progress for now. I think she has periods where she needs to "think over" what she's experiencing.

jseltzer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to share this... on Sunday, I had furniture delivered. I was nervous because I didn't know how Roxie would handle it. She did great! I purposely left her favorite cabinet open so she'd have somewhere to escape to... unfortunately, she took off for the bedroom, where the furniture was being delivered! She hid under the cedar chest, and stayed put until after the delivery guys left... it didn't take her more than 1/2 an hour and she was out again, in her usual spot in the dining room. I gave her treats and told her what a good job she did. I was so happy that she recovered so quickly I'm learning the one step forward two steps back dance. It's all at her pace. She's slowly learning that the vacuum and my blender in the kitchen won't hurt her, she hasn't growled at me in a couple of days. Also I got her 2nd dose of flea treatment, oral this time, and she took it like a champ. I've noticed she's not scratching all the time. Maybe she's feeling better?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love reading your updates on Roxie.  You have come so far with her and done such a great job letting her set the pace.  At times I am sure it is very frustrating, but the rewards are worth it too!!  You never know what will happen when strange people come to the house.  We are having a furnace guy come today.  We are also going to have him look at one of the bedrooms upstairs.  This happens to be the room Marvin spends alot of time in.  In fact he is shut in the room at night.  The room is unusually cold.  I have no idea how Marvin will react. 

Thanks for the updates and keep them coming!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It just shows how time and patience pay off.  We have a former feral who is almost seven.  She's been inside since she was six months old.    We could barely pet her and I've had to use a humane trap for her vet visits.

However, she has recently discovered she likes being brushed.  Now, whenever either of us goes into her room, she fusses at us until we brush her.  And she fusses at us when we stop, too!

Good job with Roxie.  Pretty soon, she'll be fussing at you to be brushed!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So happy to hear Roxie has come so far! Keep the updates coming - it's so nice to hear such progress!

Cross your fingers - we've started trying to entice a feral in our backyard (that we TNR'd last month) to let us get a little closer. "Flick" (so named for a little flick of a white heart-shape on the chest of her otherwise all-grey fur) finally started poking her head out of her "cat house" in our backyard this weekend when we call her! And we've been calling her every morning and evening for over a month - so you can see what a slow process this can be :)

jseltzer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've learned so much on this site! You are very dedicated to be trying to get Flick to accept you. Keep us posted and good luck!

I learned something new about Roxie today, I think she's missing a tooth!! I don't get close to her often, but this morning,

I was face-to-face with her while I was picking up the food and treats she's dropped on the floor under "her" chair, and she meowed and growled, and when her mouth was open it looked to me like she is missing her long "canine" tooth on the left side of her jaw. I didn't see blood or any recent injury... I wonder when/how that happened? I wonder if the vet noticed, she did look at her teeth, that's how she determined Roxie's age. This little cat is full of mystery. And she doesn't like me today. Oh well.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if they did a full blood panel... good question. She will be seeing the vet again after the 1st of the year... I will ask.
Yes - I would think that could tell you much about how she is feeling. :nod: Plus - those fleas are now getting under control :cross: and that has to make her feel better. Good to hear she took the pill! :clap:

I have to share this... on Sunday, I had furniture delivered. I was nervous because I didn't know how Roxie would handle it. She did great! I purposely left her favorite cabinet open so she'd have somewhere to escape to... unfortunately, she took off for the bedroom, where the furniture was being delivered! She hid under the cedar chest, and stayed put until after the delivery guys left... it didn't take her more than 1/2 an hour and she was out again, in her usual spot in the dining room. I gave her treats and told her what a good job she did. I was so happy that she recovered so quickly I'm learning the one step forward two steps back dance. It's all at her pace. She's slowly learning that the vacuum and my blender in the kitchen won't hurt her, she hasn't growled at me in a couple of days.
ALL EXCELLENT TO HEAR!!!!! :lol3: :clap: I had to laugh hearing about her hiding under the cedar chest during the furniture delivery. Isn't that the way? The room you want the kitties out of and away from the upheaval is the one room they take off to hide in. :rolleyes: Sounds to me that she is doing really, really great and making excellent progress!!! Good job on your part, btw. :bigthumb:

I learned something new about Roxie today, I think she's missing a tooth!! I don't get close to her often, but this morning,
I was face-to-face with her while I was picking up the food and treats she's dropped on the floor under "her" chair, and she meowed and growled, and when her mouth was open it looked to me like she is missing her long "canine" tooth on the left side of her jaw. I didn't see blood or any recent injury... I wonder when/how that happened? I wonder if the vet noticed, she did look at her teeth, that's how she determined Roxie's age. This little cat is full of mystery. And she doesn't like me today. Oh well.
Not to worry about her missing tooth. Many kitties, for whatever reason and one we may never know, are missing a canine tooth or other. Be sure to ask the vet when you take Roxie after the 1st to check out the tooth. If it is chipped - it should be fine. Broken close to the root, then it needs to be checked. If it is completely missing, well, no worries then!! ;)

And, :lol3:, cats will be cats.. One step forward, three steps backward, ten steps forward and you think you have it made????? HA...... 15 steps backwards. :flail: I try not to figure them out anymore, makes life much easier and SO FUN!!! :happy3:

Last edited:

jseltzer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Among the things I'm grateful for this year are the fantastic people here on The Cat Site! Thank you to everyone who has advised, encouraged and guided me in my journey with Roxie.

She's not exploring lately, although she is on the floor in the dining room in the mornings, because she knows when breakfast is! 

Tonite I ordered Scaredy Cat and more Stress Stopper from Jackson Galaxy's store. Would LOVE to hear from anyone who has used these products. I'm still using the Feral Rehab, although I don't know what effect it's having... maybe because I was hoping for "magic" when I started... Still have Feliway diffusers going, too!

Using a hairball preventative every morning has kept her from daily puking, and she's not scratching all the time anymore, so I hope she may be more receptive now. Thoughts?? and Thank You again! <3