I Stole A Kitten From It's Mom

Ghost6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, i just signed since I'm clueless and have never been in such a situation.
In my neighborhood, there's a stray female that has a litter of about four kittens every couple of months. I've been watching them play in my backyard and just couldn't live with the thought that there is nothing i can do to at least save one of them. Came back from work today and saw one of them sleeping in my yard. I put on my winter motorcycle gloves and took him into the house. He is scared to death. He runs away if i even think of coming close and attacks if he has no choice. While i do understand where the fear comes from, I can't help but wonder if that fear is temporary or did i do the wrong thing here and he will forever resent me? I went to the supermarket and got some fish and put it next to him in hope that it will calm him down a little. I really have no idea what I'm doing and would really appreciate some tips on this. Thanks.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you posted here. This is a great place to get help. Do you have any idea how old the kitten is? If not can you guess how much it might weigh? A pound? Two? Did it eat the fish? More information about the kitten would be helpful. Are the kittens wandering away from mom a lot? Is she still nursing them? If you could post. Photo it might give more information. I am just guessing but I would think it might need a good more for a kitten. It probably will calm down but we need to figure out more about it to get things going in a good direction for you both. Can you give it a box or something to hide in for now? A quiet spot it will feel safe? Maybe an old blanket or towel would give it something to snuggle with. Sorry to ask so many questions but it will help to get more information. Welcome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghost6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad you posted here. This is a great place to get help. Do you have any idea how old the kitten is? If not can you guess how much it might weigh? A pound? Two? Did it eat the fish? More information about the kitten would be helpful. Are the kittens wandering away from mom a lot? Is she still nursing them? If you could post. Photo it might give more information. I am just guessing but I would think it might need a good more for a kitten. It probably will calm down but we need to figure out more about it to get things going in a good direction for you both. Can you give it a box or something to hide in for now? A quiet spot it will feel safe? Maybe an old blanket or towel would give it something to snuggle with. Sorry to ask so many questions but it will help to get more information. Welcome!
I assume his age is a month and a half, maybe a little more. Mom is still there, bringing them solid food like meat and stuff.
I just couldn't handle his cries for mom so i let him go. I'll just go and adopt one from a shelter. Easier that way. Thanks for the help tho.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could catch them with Mom. I don’t know where you live but stopping her from having endless litters of kittens would be good for her and the community. There are programs in a lot of places that help to catch , spay and release the kitty. I do that a lot and many people on this site do too. I would be glad to help you find assistance if you really want to help those kittens. Adopting one from a shelter is good too.
We would love to hear, either way! Good luck.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please trap them! Once they are all trapped and been vetted, they can be adopted. It is very normal for them to be afraid and it will seem like they don't want a forever home but after being inside they will adjust. It may take 1 day, a week, or a month.