I started feding 1 cat, and now im feeding 4! I need someones help!

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Yes but I have not seen that intact female for 3 days now, I dont know what happened to her she has not shown up even for food.

Leesali I really appreciate your help, but I doubt all 3 will be fixed at once, so more than one visit/trip would probably have to be made. Good idea about getting them to you a day or two after they are fixed and not letting them back outside, just as long as both of us are not busy and Humane Societys are open. I have a crate I can keep them in with a litterbox,food,toys, and bedding, but it's only for after surgery.
Keith, when you get to the point of putting out the traps...I would like to give you my cell #. There are few things to be aware of when these cats/kittens are recovering. Also, if your vet. is not aware...the tip of the left ear should be slightly cut...universal sign that cat was spayed/neutered.

Please post when you are ready to set traps and I will PM you with cell number.

Whatever the outcome...pat yourself on the back Keith
for someone so young...your concerns & efforts are amazing!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just one question, if they are going to the humane society do they still need their ear clipped? Also my plan was to capture one by one (unless 2 go in the same trap) get them fixed, then hopefully the day I pick them up from after surgery bring them right to your humane society from the vet clinic. If I have to wait it could mean keeping them in a crate for a few days, delaying me from trapping the 2nd or 3rd cats, which I dont want to delay, you can understand right.

I know the signs to watch out for this site explains it all, i'm also getting information sent to me in the mail.

http://www.myvetonline.com/website/d...37&userId=3541
http://www.myvetonline.com/website/d...36&userId=3541

What did you mean when you said.. "whatever the outcome..."

Also, i'm only receiving 3 certificates, so if for some reason if all 3 cats are in your care, and the orange female does show up, I cant get her fixed. At that time would it be best to trap her and bring her to you the next day even though she would not be spayed?

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey guess what I found a place that's sending me 3 certificates to get Starlight and her 2 kittens fixed, isnt that great! After all that's done now I have to find them homes because I told the people giving me the certificates that I would find them homes.
Sweet!

Honestly, don't worry about finding them homes at this point. Get them fixed (and I would eartip them if I were you, as well), and then if you can find homes, great. If not, you will still have done the most important thing by getting them fixed. Anything beyond that is a bonus at this point.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE=keith p]Just one question, if they are going to the humane society do they still need their ear clipped?

While they are at the vet. anyway...I would have it done for 2 reasons: 1 - if they are adoptable & get outside by mistake, they will be recognized as neutered/spayed and 2 - if they are not adoptable and have to be released outside, they again, will be recognized as neutered/spayed.

Also my plan was to capture one by one (unless 2 go in the same trap) get them fixed, then hopefully the day I pick them up from after surgery bring them right to your humane society from the vet clinic.

After neuter/spay, there really should be some recovery time from surgery before going anywhere.

What did you mean when you said.. "whatever the outcome..."

I simply meant that whatever the outcome for these cats/kittens...whether they are adoptable or have to be released outside...your efforts are commendable.

Also, i'm only receiving 3 certificates, so if for some reason if all 3 cats are in your care, and the orange female does show up, I cant get her fixed. At that time would it be best to trap her and bring her to you the next day even though she would not be spayed?[/quote]

Again, unfortunately, the Humane Society cannot adopt out feral, wild or whatever you want to term them...cats and/or kittens. I don't know anything about these cats/kittens except for what you are posting. That one orange female may be a stray...may be from another colony...? She should definitely be trapped but I have no idea how social she is. Also, keep in mind, that although your little outside crew may be friendly & social with you, that does not mean that they would be friendly & social with anyone else.

I care for a colony of five or so. I can step outside and make a call for them & they will literally run to me...I can pet them...pick them up, etc. BUT when my 13-yr. old son does the same thing...this colony runs for the hills. They only know me.

Do you know how these cats react to others?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other members of my family go out to feed them and they react the same as if I was feeding them, they sit there and wait.

So now your saying your humane society wont take them in?

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Other members of my family go out to feed them and they react the same as if I was feeding them, they sit there and wait.

So now your saying your humane society wont take them in?
I did not say LB Humane Society will not take them in...BUT...I am concerned about their adopt-ability. You simply cannot take a feral cat or even a friendly cat that has lived most of its life outdoors and expect it to be a great "inside resident" cat. My opinion again...that would very unfair to the cat. Some may do fine and some may not. I've seen cats brought in for adoption that put themselves into a real good depression where they became ill, simply because they someone thought they were doing the right thing by taking them off the street.

Have you received the spay/neuter certificates?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No not yet, but it seems you have presented me with a problem. If I brought them in to you and they are not adoptable in your opinion, then i will have to release them back. They will always come back to me for more food, trouble is feeding them forever was not my plan. I'm not a feral/stray cat caretaker, I just want to get them fixed and find a home for them, or someone who has experience and can handle a stray cat and care for it without any trouble. Does your shelter have people who bring cats home to socialize them? I cant make them permanent residents. In the future I may be moving, or even possibly dorming at a college, for this reason I cannot keep feeding forever. I have tried to be patient with this situation, and I luckily found a place to get them fixed for free, but my patience are running low trying to get them a permanent home, or shelter who knows how to care for strays and is willing to foster them if they were not quite ready for a household. You already know how much i tried finding them homes already so im not going to explain that. My question is where are the people willing to care for these cats there whole lives? I cant stop feeding them because i'm too attatched, but if I find no place who will take these sweet cats in, I will be forced to trap them all and bring them to a nearby shelter, who will most likely put them all too sleep, even though I took months of my time, all of my allowance, and time to try and socialize them, all to make sure they will be ready for a loving person to take them in. I understand not all cats can adjust to a house, but then I would hope a feral cat caretaker would be able to care for that cat outside, and make sure it would not have to be put down. Would your shelter take the time to try and find them homes? I understand if they were aggressive, very sick, or severely depressed they are unadoptable, but then would you have a backup plan (not very sick cats I understand) for that particular cat, like a foster parent who would try and socialize that cat, or make it an Outdoor-only cat? I'm just trying to think of all possible solutions because putting to sleep is the last thought on my mind, since I have tried so much and dont want to give up and put them all to sleep.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keith....you should focus on getting these cats FIXED and worry about the homing of these cats after the procedure has been done. I will leave it to Leesali to answer your questions regarding the shelter she volunteers with.

Katie

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
keith p said:
No not yet, but it seems you have presented me with a problem. If I brought them in to you and they are not adoptable in your opinion, then i will have to release them back. They will always come back to me for more food, trouble is feeding them forever was not my plan. I'm not a feral/stray cat caretaker, I just want to get them fixed and find a home for them, or someone who has experience and can handle a stray cat and care for it without any trouble.
keith p said:
I agee with TNR1...the focus should be on getting the cats fixed. I understand your feelings on wanting to find them a home rather than see them live a "feral" life. PLEASE, understand (and it took me some time to "get it")...just because WE want to find these cats homes where they are cuddled, safe & warm doesn't mean that is the best thing for every outside/feral cat.

Does your shelter have people who bring cats home to socialize them?

Unfortunately, foster homes are only for kittens abandoned kittens...and only young kittens. After a certain age, the philosophy is...neuter/spay and release.

I have tried to be patient with this situation, and I luckily found a place to get them fixed for free, but my patience are running low trying to get them a permanent home, or shelter who knows how to care for strays and is willing to foster them if they were not quite ready for a household.

You have tried very hard to find a spay/neuter program...so please use the certificates when you get them. If you don't, the 3...possibly 4 cats that you are feeding will quickly multiply.

I understand not all cats can adjust to a house, but then I would hope a feral cat caretaker would be able to care for that cat outside, and make sure it would not have to be put down.

There is no reason why these cats need be put down!! If they can't be adopted and you don't want to continue feeding them, I will find out if there is an existing "feral feeding station" where they can be relocated.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An existing feeding station sounds good if option 1 (shelter adoption) doesnt work out, just as long as the location is within a close distance. (dont need to discuss distance now) Do feral feeding station caretakers get cats vaccinations, and do they go to the vet each year for checkups, ex. dental.., and are they protected against the weather outside?

Better yet, mabye you can explain to me more about feral feeding stations and how the people care for the cats. It would ease my mind a little knowing more about it. That's something I know you know more about than me.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Basically, a feral feeding station is an area where ferals or entire feral colony will learn to come to on a daily basis for food. Some volunteers dedicate their entire time to feeding colonies 2-3 times per day...everyday. The food is sheltered and fresh food & water is left for the cats.

Besides feeding the colony everyday, these volunteers focus on TNR. They will try & trap as many as possible, spay/neuter and then release back to a specific area where they feel it is "safe" for the cats.

If they find a wounded or sick cat from the colony, yes, they will try to re-trap to get it medical attention. The funds all come from donations and fund-raising from the Humane Society.

brittbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
stop feeding and they will go away.... it works but it killed me i couldn't do it. I started out with feeding one cat and then 3, then 6, then i had as many as 12 or 13 but they slowly left and now i only have 3!!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keith, you've had some wonderful offers - get them fixed and then worry about what's going to happen later. I agree the best thing that you can do for them is to have them fixed.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the certificates in today. I dont know exactly when I will start the process of catching them, I have to discuss it with whoever will be driving me to the vets office.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guess what, I went to feed the cats today and I was on my knees with my arm stretched out, and the black kitten came over and sniffed my finger, isnt that great! The mom was right behind, only a few inches away, that's the closest she has ever been, and she did not run away.

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bravo Keith! You are doing an excellent job. I live near Babylon on the Nassau side and have watched your thread with interest as I know how hard it is to get help here on Long Island. Everytime I have tried to get help, be it low-cost spay or neuter, someone to take a new kitten, etc., my efforts have been in vain. My last attempt was for two little kittens. I would have caught them if I only had somewhere to bring them, (I have the colony and some inside cats to care for and I am getting back to speed after a heart operation) and I believe they would be wonderful pets by now instead of living outdoors in a colony. Anyway...I just wanted to say "Great job!" It seems to me that Long Island has a long way to go in helping feral cats.
Keep up the good work!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JIL05

Bravo Keith! You are doing an excellent job. I live near Babylon on the Nassau side and have watched your thread with interest as I know how hard it is to get help here on Long Island. Everytime I have tried to get help, be it low-cost spay or neuter, someone to take a new kitten, etc., my efforts have been in vain. My last attempt was for two little kittens. I would have caught them if I only had somewhere to bring them, (I have the colony and some inside cats to care for and I am getting back to speed after a heart operation) and I believe they would be wonderful pets by now instead of living outdoors in a colony. Anyway...I just wanted to say "Great job!" It seems to me that Long Island has a long way to go in helping feral cats.
Keep up the good work!
The problem is that most rescues pull from shelters where the cats have a limited time. In most places where people practice TNR, when they pull kittens to be placed, they are placing them on their own. I would still suggest that even if you cannot place a cat or kitten, that you still have it fixed so that it doesn't have an opportunity to become pregnant or impregnant another cat. Unlike domesticated cats...not all ferals want to live indoors...so it is best to TNR the colony and then work on placing them.

Katie

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

The problem is that most rescues pull from shelters where the cats have a limited time. In most places where people practice TNR, when they pull kittens to be placed, they are placing them on their own. I would still suggest that even if you cannot place a cat or kitten, that you still have it fixed so that it doesn't have an opportunity to become pregnant or impregnant another cat. Unlike domesticated cats...not all ferals want to live indoors...so it is best to TNR the colony and then work on placing them.

Katie
Yes, this is true. We do pull from shelters where cats and/or kittens are sitting on what we term "death row". In addition, there are still quite a few that do come in found on the street alone or living within a colony. Even if those brought in cannot be placed, we work hand-in-hand with a vet. for low-cost spay/neuter and off they go back to their colony. Also agreed that not all ferals should be placed indoors and it is best for the feline to be placed back in the colony.

While on the subject...we had a young adult female that just came in with her chest area so torn up that she required surgery and a week at the vets. Poor thing was beat-up by a feral colony. She is now recovering from her surgery...still many scratches on her face/nose area and is very fearful of other cats.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I still have to agree with JIL05 in that the whole Babylon area really needs to catch up on it's care for feral cats, I mean the railroad alone should have been one of the first areas for TNR to start at, yet nobody here seems to care enough to report the area, except me I notified people so mabye in the Spring we will see some action taken. Also when I searched for feral cat caretakers/groups, you know how many I found in West Babylon; zero! That is very sad, and embarassing...