I started a diet yesterday

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sunlion, I have had the same experience re: protein vs. carbs.

Yes, maybe proteins have more fat than carbs, but overall it is total calories that makes you gain or lose weight. It is better to eat an egg or a piece of cheese (with some fat) and be satisfied than to have a couple of fat-free cookies, get hungry in 30 minutes, have a couple more, and a couple more, then a cereal bar, and on and on, etc. because blood sugar levels are all over the place.(This is how I used to snack, and it made me fat!!)

I lost 30 pounds about 3 years ago through lots of exercise (an hour 5 days a week) and a change in diet away from processed foods towards "whole" foods, then another 10 in the last year by upping the exercise intensity, eating more protein and less refined carbs, and adding strength training to my gym routine. It takes a while for your body to stop craving fat and carbs, but now I am at the point where I crave fruit, vegetables and fish, if you can believe it! I still eat potatoes, rice, chocolate, cookies and all that high carb food, but I only want small amount. And I cringe at fast food now, and even most restaurant food (so much salt!). Once you have your body used to "clean" food, you don't even want that other stuff anymore.

Good luck everyone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I made it through the weekend. My cheat day was Saturday, so I got to have two meals rather than just the one. My husband took us to the Texana Grill and I ordered a 8 oz. sirloin and a baked potato. I only ate about half the steak and half the potato. Plus I had regular Dr Pepper, which I have to have if I go out. For dinner I had boiled shrimp and a salad with low fat dressing. So my cheat day wasn't too bad.

Yesterday we went to Mexican food for lunch after church, and it sure is hard to find something that's not bad for you at a Mx restaurant! But I made it through, so it's a whole week ahead to do again. Hopefully this week will be easier than the first!

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can do pretty well at a Mexican food restaurant if you can avoid the chips, those are the killer. There they are sitting right in front of you and everyone else is enjoying them, ugh!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know, those chips are soooo good. I caught myself eating a few when they set them down on the table. Then I remembered my diet and quit. But those few sure were good!

I had skinny tacos with grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, a little cheese on a whole wheat tortilla. Pretty good, actually.