I sometimes regret not declawing my cat!!

meezertorbie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is an anti-declaw site, but does anyone else wish they had declawed their cat?

I have always had declawed cats, but I decided to not have my newest little guy declawed, because I had begun to realize the dangers of it. He is a year old and was 3 months old when I got him. I think I made the right decision for him, but not so much for me or my other (declawed) cat. He is very sweet and affectionate, but he does sometimes pounce on my other 5 year old cat, and I fear that he could hurt her. She does seem to tolerate a lot from him and will give him a nip on the ear or a swat if he bugs her too much. This usually makes him back off. I still don't want her scratched though. She did squeal in pain one time when his claws got her. They do seem to get along otherwise and cuddle and groom each other.

He does love to use his scratching posts, so destroying the furniture has not been an issue.

My other main concern is trimming his claws. He will let me pet his paws to try and "butter him up," but the second I try to hold his paw and squeeze to push the claws out, he bolts. I try offering treats, but he snatches them and runs. He LOVES and demands attention all the time, except when I try to handle his feet. I am afraid that his nails will grow too long and curl inward, but I just can't seem to get them clipped. If he uses the scratching post often, is he filing them down enough himself? I bought a pair of Martha Stewart scissor-like nail clippers, made especially for cats, which look easy enough to use (more so than the other ones), but I have not had an opportunity to use them, because he will not let me. This little 10 pound creature is stronger than me.

I sometimes think that all of these problems could have been avoided if I had just had him declawed. Am I a horrible person for thinking this? Any advice about the nail trimming? I am at my wit's end.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi MeezerTorbie,

You're not horrible for the thought that has crossed your mind - you just don't have enough information that will help you out, so it is normal to fall back on what you know.  Having said that, thank you for not declawing - you are correct, it really is terribly bad for them.

So, you did the right thing...now for some info so you can reap the rewards of your good decision!  (looks like you already found out that furniture destruction doesn't have to happen!)

1.  Don't worry about your resident cat getting hurt.  Cats who are bonded don't play with their claws out - I've watched mine extensively, and they look rough, but they aren't rough in cat terms.  Any swats/objections are fine - they are speaking cat language to each other and telling the other what is 'not on'!   (See, the squeal only happened once...probably he was kitten clumsy and oopsied with his claws - got told though, and didn't do it again!) This will happen with all cats, but especially with a rumbunctious kitten and an older cat - your job will be to wear the young one out so he doesn't bug the older one too much.  Expend that energy.

2.  Don't worry about nails 'curling in'.  Think about feral cats, or any cat without a human toe attendant.  They are perfectly fine, and are kept in good nick by the cat - they sharpen them, but this doesnt 'wear them down', it refines the point.  It will also help shed layers of the nail - don't be scared if you see a perfect crescent of nail lying around the house as it is natural sheddage.

3.  Trimming nails takes patience and a structured 'training' approach.  I describe how I do mine here, and include a link to a helpful training article: http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/5/category/nail trimming/1.html.  What you have described sounds perfectly normal...it takes time, and small, small steps.  There're always the gel glue-on nail covers as an option if nail trimming really isnt for you, or you can get a vet nurse to nail trim every couple of weeks (usually a very small cost, sometimes free if that is your vet clinic).  And of course, some people never do anything with cat nails, and everyone lives very happily el naturale...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for not declawing your cat.

All my cats still have their claws and about half or them are still too wild for me to trim them. They don't seem to have any problems at all though, although they chase each other around the house like crazy things they never hurt each other and their claws wear down naturally as long as they have a scratching post or something similar to scratch at.

Welcome to The Cat Site. 

hazmat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wrap cat in a beach towel and trim the nails. Eventually they will give up fighting and let you do it without the towel although it may take 2 years.

I have alwwas been terrified of declawing. No claws means no tree climbing which means dead cat should they get out and be chased by a dog or other critter..

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never trimmed my cats nails and I've owned many in my near 60 years. I actually think they would try to scratch more often if they had trimmed claws to sharpen them up again! My cats use their corrugated cardboard 'scratcher' all the time, and trees outside. I don't think their nails would grow 6 inches long no more then a tooth would. Their nails are not like ours. I've seen cats in shelters that do not have access to scratching posts and they don't have overgrown claws. Let your cats claws go and see what happens, I'd bet he would appreciate it, and it would be a lot less stress! 

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have unfortunately had cats declawed in the past. I am glad that I don't declaw anymore now that I understand what is happening to the cat when the surgery is done. I have even had the awful experience of having the cat go from being a sweet cat to a complete personality change after declawing! You made the right choice.

When I brought home my new kittens last July, I made it a point to constantly touch their paws, bellies, ears, mouths whatever! I feel that it is helpful to get the kitten/cat used to you touching all the sensitive spots in case you have to for some reason later down the road. I would suggest that you start trying to touch the paws everyday when you are sitting together. Maybe start by gently petting them, then once he is comfortable with that move onto gently pressing to expose the claws. Don't rush it, just do it at kitties pace until he is used to you touching him there.

Cats paws are very sensitive, and I can relate when it comes to your struggle as I had an old street cat in the past that would never let me touch her paws for a nail trim. I actually had to take her into the vet for regular trims till she passed away. Since your kitten is still young you might have better luck trying to get him used to it though.

Don't worry about the play between the two cats, the older one will teach the kitten what is OK and what is not. My kittens sometimes seem to play rough and even squeal and usually when that happens I will give a loud clap and say "hey" and they stop for the moment. If it looks really rough I will sometimes break it up, but usually everything is okay and they are just playing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew someone from another forum who had a younger non-declawed cat who picked on her older declawed cats. She wanted to have him declawed to protect her older cats but her vet said it wouldn't make any difference. . .and that's true. She remembered that her last kitten (whom she had declawed very young) also picked on the older cats. All of my cats have all their claws and the young cats still pick on the older cats :/. I guess it's just the way of cats. The good news is, the older cats never get scratched---cats don't really use their front claws against each other except in tomcat fights. But trust me on this; declawing him would not have prevented any of that bullying. He's just a young fool ;).

If his claws aren't causing a problem you don't NEED to trim them. But if you want to, look up some Youtube videos about how to do it. I put the cat between my legs (almost kneeling on him) and I can trim almost any cat's nails that way. Except biters :tongue2:.

Last edited:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you can get him to sit on a towel try to wrap him or "swaddle him" in the towel.  That will keep him from running and provide some security for him as well.

Well have 4 feral rescues, one who we removed the front claws.  It breaks my heart to see him try to walk on the gravel drive as he limps when he puts his weight down.

I was to the vet yesterday with one of our cats and started talking about having 4 at home and 8 spayed rescues at our barn.  The older woman turned to me and said "would you please take our cat to the barn to live?"  It seems they have to move to Texas for medical reasons and can't take her.  It broke my heart since she had removed her claws.  I have to tell her about the coyotes, bobcats, wild dogs, etc and the disadvantage the poor thing would have being out in the wild.

You never know when your situation will change.

Keep those claws if you can.

GTO

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, I don't advocate the towel swaddling method - especially doing it for two years until they 'give up'!  All cat training works best as a non-scary partnership.  If they are scared or fighting you (worse!), you have progressed too quickly - or way too quickly.  The slow steady method where every session is non-confrontational and pleasant is what makes for good training - and you will have a super easy job at trimming nails in time.  The cat-trimming 101 article I reference in my blog is great at explaining a good training process for nail trimming (here, I'll pull it out for everyone as a separate link):

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/nail-trimming-101

http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/5/category/nail trimming/1.html

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd say your right if you swaddle your cat for " two years" before he gves up!! But it does work if gentle done.

racky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As we were talking about adopting a cat a few weeks ago, I had thought about the option of declawing.  At that time, I didn't know how it was done or how barbaric it really was.  My good friend is a vet technician, and she just happened to be visiting during our adoption decision.  She told me in detail how it's done, and it just really opened my eyes and made me sad.  I had originally thought of declawing as an option if our new kitty was clawing things up.  Now I wouldn't dream of it.  I had no idea what it really involved.

I also have troubles trimming our kitty's nails, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal right now.  They are long, but not really causing any major damage.  I usually wait for her to fall asleep on my lap and try to get a few before she wakes up.

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After 35 years of indoor cats, I honestly cannot see any difference in the damage they do with trimmed or not trimmed claws. The damage is part of the cost of your partnership with the cat. Fill the house with upholstered and carpeted cat trees and whatnot and accept that the carpeted stairs will have to be replaced every 6 years or so.

And, thank all of you who speak out against declawing. Even speaking softly on the subject is better than silence. Some day this will end everywhere. I hope.

Last edited:

cutepixie93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for not declawing, my friend jus got her's declawed, I tld her what I felt about it. I also tld her how its multitation, can cause physical damage. Well anyway she wld'nt listen to me all her other cats were declawed and fine. They don't feel pain is wat she tld me also. Feel bad for Coby, his paws did'nt heal right and she had to take him back for antibotic. To this day he still not walking fully. So I make sure I tell people I know that declawing is bad.