I Scolded My Cat And She Redirected To New Cat

Chloeismyname

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there!
So, I got a New kitty Amber and the introduction was smooth, I kept them separated until they got to a point where they can eat together, lay around together, walk around the house with no problem. The thing is, Chloe the first cat at least every 30 min chase Amber and stand tall and stare her for at least Couple minutes then walk away (she doesn’t proceed to a fight or pawing, just stand tall and intimidades Amber), so the entire day my task is to say “chloe, no!” And gently put her away from Amber, but today I was sooo fed up that I had to do this again and again that I scuffed her by the neck nad yelled “STOP-IT-CHLOE”, ohhh boy, she was so mad that instead of being mad at me she FLEW in Amber’s direction. I’m restarting the introduction steps now.
Is it normal that instead of understanding that it’s bad, she gets worse?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
First, stop intervening in their interactions. Unless there is a full out screaming fur flying cat fight there is no need for you to step in. If they are eating together or sleeping near one another they are becoming friends. Chloe chasing Amber is probably just play.

They need to work out their relationship and your interfering is slowing that down. And it is also upsetting your first cat who really isn’t doing anything wrong and should not be punished.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chloeismyname

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for the reply.
Well, I was letting them be at first, but Chloe started grooming her belly bald and developed UTI and Amber was growling and hissing everytime Chloe tried to intimidade her.
So I thought it was time to interfere.
Should I keep letting them do their thing?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stop interfering with this. They need to do this to establish who is boss of the house. Cats communicate by growling and hissing, this is how the other cat will learn from the one doing the growling and hissing.

Yes. Let them do their thing unless there is bloodshed, which there would have been by now. Cats are drama queens. But they need to work it out.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi there!
Chloe the first cat at least every 30 min chase Amber and stand tall and stare her for at least Couple minutes then walk away (she doesn’t proceed to a fight or pawing, just stand tall and intimidades Amber)
This almost sounds like Chloe could be initiating play, and Amber is telling her no, and you are scolding them for this. Chloe's stress (to the point of overgrooming and UTI) could be based on your stress even, so keep that in mind too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chloeismyname

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is being very helpful guys!
Thank you so much, I’ll just let them be then.
He’s a picture of these two cuties and their love hate relationship :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first one is play, the second is likely one trying the play and they other saying "hell no leave me alone!" Eventually they will learn once they work everything out.