I really hate renting!

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's horrible! But, look at the humorous side....you said there were neighbors slangin' (dealers)...they must've not been make much money because of their living standards.
Kudos to you for getting those trashy ppl out of your complex.
I have rented since I was 18 (bleh yeah I sooo need to buy a house I know) and been lucky enough never to have sleazy neighbors.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love Lunasmoms reply!
Actually, the housing market is good for buyers who can bid on foreclosures here in the States. Don't know what the market is like in Winnipeg but you might be able to get a good deal.
Good luck!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How annoying Linda! I rent too, but I am in a house and I think it is alot better for that kind of thing. I can't wait to buy a place!

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have to be careful of the neighbors even if you buy a house, they can be just as bad. When my sister bought her first house the neighbors were horrible. The man broke into my sisters house, she came home when he was still inside, he actually slapped my baby nephew who was only 2 at the time because they didnt know he was there and Bubba walked in on him. Plus we had to keep stealing their dogs and rehoming them because they would get a dog, have it for a while and get bored with it and then poison it so they wouldnt have to deal with it and then get a new one. The city finaly got proof of what they were doing and now they are not allowed to own pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Love Lunasmoms reply!
Actually, the housing market is good for buyers who can bid on foreclosures here in the States. Don't know what the market is like in Winnipeg but you might be able to get a good deal.
Good luck!
The housing market here in Winnipeg is awful!

People put their houses up for sale and people buying them get into bidding wars. Houses sell for sometimes double the price they were listed for.

I'm off work on disability and don't qualify for a mortgage. A "cheap" house here right now is about $150,000.00 and that is a basic 2 bedroom house that requires work. Now, while it may be listed at 150K, that doesn't mean it will sell for that. Chances are it will sell for about $170,000.00.

Also, even if I could afford to buy a house, I can't do the physical upkeep of it such as yard work, snow shoveling, repairs.

My brother bought a house for $65,000.00 in 2003. He did some renovations on it, and last year his house was appraised at $240,000.00. It's a one bedroom with a small bedroom that he converted into a huge closet, and an unfinished basement.

Buying a condo is like living in an apartment. Many people buy a condo and rent it out and you have no control over your neighbours, just like renting. Plus on top of your mortgage you have to pay condo fees and in a nice condominium those fees can be $500.00 per month.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, yet more reasons i'm glad we own our home. When I lived back at home with my mom we had lived in the same crappy duplex for over 14 yrs. It was in a horrible neighborhood, all the neighbors were here illegally and constantly shot off their guns, had parties, played their music as loud as they could, left beer bottles everywhere (tells you something about the reality co.
), we had gang problems, violence, drugs in that area, you name it. I was sooo darn glad to get out of there. It was a really rough area. My mom is still there and i'm begging her to move out to a safer area

I refuse to ever rent now that i'm on my own. It's just throwing money away with nothing to show for it in return. I like having our own home that we can decorate as we like, and have more freedom with. It's much safer as well and we don't have to deal with as many issues as i used to when i lived at home and we rented. I view paying for our house as an investment in our future. I feel really blessed we have our own home. I will never rent if i can help it, it'd be a waste of money for us to do so. Another perk is that the monthly payment we make to own our home is much less expensive than what people pay for rent in this area in most cases. (since we put a large downpayment down on the house it lowered our monthly note).

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I would start piling my trash on top of theirs...even print a sign saying "Trash" on their door

If they ask, just play stupid as say "well you leave your trash here, so I assumed it was a new complex policy."
I LOVE it!!!!

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I caught my land lady telling all the people she shows the apartment next to us that we have a black cat. When my husband went to pay the rent she told him that my Limerick was scaring away people. Our apartment does not face the parking lot, unless someone is on scaffolding, no one can see in out apartment. The only way people would know we even have a cat is by her telling them. He told her to stop telling people about him. I don't think knowing what kind of pet your neighbors have is a something people must know. I didn't tell her the lack of counter space in the bathrooms and kitchen was the real reason. I should have.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now my car got broke into!
My landlady new 2 cars were broken into a few days ago, and did not notify anyone. I heard about it after I found my car. The best part is they didn't break the window. The only thing of value they took is my Garmin and a few quarters. They left my cds, the pennies in my cup holder. I'm pissed because I need it to find this school I'm subbing for tomorrow. We filed a police report and they know who did it, but of course they can't do anything unless they catch him in the act. They can't even question this guy about it. I am starting a search for a new apartment. I no longer feel safe here.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A black cat. Heck you don't live in Salem, MA. What is wrong with people? I kept my RIP cat Brownie (black) who was an outdoor cat inside every Halloween and 4th of July.

If my new computer desk does not arrive tomorrow I am going to go nuts. My hubby was nice enough to duck tape the keyboard stand but he did that for his 6'1 height. I am 5'3 and I can't move the keyboard stand and it takes me twice as long to type.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Last year (2006) I had problems with partying drug dealers living across the hall from me. After months and months of complaining to the agence they were evicted.

The apartment was vacant for a month before new people moved in. Aside from them leaving their trach bags in the hallway (which the caretaker spoke to them about and rectified), they were very quiet.

The agency has been jacking up the rent way beyond the rental guidelines for inflation which is usually between 1 and 3 percent. Our annual rent increases for the last 4 or 5 years has been between 10 and 12 percent. At the end of September 2003 my rent was $478/mth. Now it's $719/mth to give you an idea of the price increases.

As a consequence of the high increases people are coming and going from the apartments around me every year!

This past October a family with kids moved in
For the most part the kids are quiet in the hallway. Occasionally they run and yell as they are coming or going from the apartment, but while annoying it isn't prolonged.

However, on Friday I was so disgusted that I actually wrote a letter to the agency about them.

I was taking out my garbage. The hallway smelled terrible. Like someone had diarrhea. I thought maybe it was my cat litter! I went and smelled it and it was fine ... having just changed it the day before. I then noticed a white bag in the hallway against the wall about 2 feet from the apartment door across the hall.

I thought maybe someone dropped it on the way to their apartment so I picked it up to see what it was so I could return it. I nearly passed out from the smell when I picked it up!
It was a bag of poopy disposable diapers

Now I can appreciate them not wanting to stink up their apartment, but the hallway isn't a back alley and is not a place to dump your trash.

I took the bag out with me as I was taking my trash out anyway. But I faxed a letter to the agency telling them about it and I let the caretaker know about it today. Apparently she said that she had caught them one other time leaving their trash in the hallway and talked to them about it. And she said that she caught them leaving it in the stairwell once after that. But it seems that it didn't do any good. Maybe a formal letter of warning from the agency will make them stop.
We had a neighbor that would do that during the winter time. Thankfully it was only twice. I don't miss living in an apartment at all.
to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they had another bag of trash sitting outside their door again today. It was there when I went out this morning at 9am and someone finally moved it around 10pm this evening: probably another neighbour who was taking their own trash out and was equally disgusted about seeing a bag of trash sitting in the hallway.

I haven't written another letter to the agency because I just sent one. If in a week they are still sticking their trash in the hall I am going to write another letter.

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

How about the caretaker use the master key and shove that bag back into their apartment with a note so they will learn! Kind of like how you shove a dog's face near his poo when he goes inside to ward him of pooping in the house, same principal.
Actually that's considered an antiquated and ineffective way of housetraining a dog, but it might work for the people though.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would knock on their door, and when they opened it, I would literally rip open the garbage bag and pour in into their open doorway, saying something like, "Here, I do believe this is yours, as it is sitting just outside your door in direct violation of the building policy. If you can't be bothered to bring it outside to the trash area where it BELONGS, then perhaps you should simply keep it inside your apartment where it will bother no one but YOU."

Then I'd continue to rip them a new one verbally, tell them that I'm writing letters to management and sending them ALONG WITH PICTURES OF THE TRASH IN THE HALLWAY IN FRONT OF THEIR DOOR, and suggest that they "clean up" their act fast if they want to continue to live in that building.

Because I can NOT tolerate ignorant people like that. I take no prisoners.