I Really Can't Handle My Constantly Meowing Cat...

erinkimbap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I need some help with my constantly meowing cat Dill.
I've had my cat Dill (1yr old) since his mama cat Pickle (2year old) gave birth to him!
He's neutered, he's very healthy, curious, and sometimes sweet(haha).
But it seems like his kitten like behavior never went away.
He's meowing at night, most of the time looking at the ceiling?
He has bursts of crying sessions, and he won't stop unless I make some sound to stop him or Pickle goes to check on him.

I play with him for at least 30 minutes before going to bed and he's panting at the end.
He's very active and he'll chase the toy no matter what.
So I assume he will be asleep during the night, but he always goes a little crazy during the night. He meows and jumps on me from a shelf, sometimes it's pretty dangerous because I live in a studio apartment and he unintentionally attacks me while I'm asleep.

I feed him plenty of wet food, and I give him extra so that he doesn't go hungry.
But it seems like he constantly wants attention, he wants to wake me up.
(He walks all over me and digs the pillow.)

He gets worse when my boyfriend is over, and I don't know why.
The video I posted isn't the worst example, but he meows like that all night.
Is this a normal behavior? He was doing similar things when he was a kitten but I thought he would grow out of it. I'm guessing it's just his nature, being vocal about everything, but I really need him to be calmer during the night.

Pickle on the other hand, is great. She's such a quiet cat and she doesn't seem to like Dill wanting to play with her. She always runs away from him.

Do you guys have any suggestions? What can I do? It's getting to a point where I can't sleep at my own place. Very frustrated :(

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What a gorgeous fellow. You're in an apartment, there's someone living above you? It seems to me he's hearing activity or smelling something, another cat who knows, elsewhere in the building. Also, would your boyfriend be willing to maybe change his aftershave? Start using unscented bath soap, laundry soap, that kind of thing and see if it makes any difference?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a lot you can do to make a vocal cat be less vocal. But you might be able to divert his attention with nighttime activities like interactive food puzzles, toys that you only leave out at night, or even a heated bed that might encourage him to cuddle up and shut up.