I-radio therapy and hypothyroidism

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our 14 year old, Oyster, was treated with radio therapy last July. He was tested as hyperthyroid. Since end of October, he has been showing signs of HYPOthyroidism and will get his blood levels checked tomorrow. He displayed lower levels of thyroid in his previous checks since the therapy but nothing to put him in the hypothyroid range.
He is lethargic, looks obese, and shows mental dullness which I mistook for depression (as his bonded friend died in October).
The vet told us over the phone that we could just wait and see if it goes away as that is what usually happens to cats after radio therapy. I have no other experience to go by and have searched this site for more info.
Could someone suggest how long one should wait for to get treated for hypothyroidism? Will be need to stay on levothyroxine or some such supplement for life? That will be a disappointment as we spent so much time and energy (not to mention, money) to get him treated immediately with the radio therapy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. While you wait to hear from some of the members on this site who have experienced similar issues, please sign up (for free) to this forum (link below) and ask the very responsive folks about what might be going on with Oyster.

I signed up when Feeby was first diagnosed with H-T, and they were very helpful and informative. I have to believe there will be people in this group who who have dealt with this since their focus is on H-T.
[email protected] | Home

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fiona herself was hyperthyridic but I treated her with Felimazole, so cannot comment on the after affects of the radiotherapy treatments. I wondered though what your vet meant by "wait". A week or months? I would not be comfortable sitting on a hypothyroid condition for a huge amount of time because it can bring up other issues over time.

Dogs are hypothyridic all the time and I have had several. They were on levothyrozine for years and nothing ever went wrong, if that is any consolation....if that is what happens with your cat.