I put my job in jeopardy

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if there's one thing I've learned in the past year working anywhere from 50 to 70 hours a week: work is an important part of our lives, but you can't let it consume your life entirely, and life is too short to have a job that you hate. I'm lucky that I really enjoy both my jobs MOST of the time, am working in the field I want to be working in, am making good money, etc. but that hasn't always been the case. I've always been one who hates to "give up" or admit that I can't make it work: but sometimes, its time to move on. One thing that helps me make those sorts of decisions and that calms me a great deal--I'm very anxious by nature as well-- is to get everything down on paper in a pro and con list. Then, you can remove your emotions from the situation and it generally is very evident what you need to do about it based on which list is longer!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to say about work, but definately do to your doctor about the ocd/anxiety stuff - and if you need anyone to chat to about it, don't hesistate to PM me. I do know how that one feels.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It sounds to me like this woman isn't doing her job. Is she the company owner or is she just a manager there? If she's the company owner, then not much you can do about her not being in the office or phoning to let anyone know she's sick and won't be in there.

A manager needs to be there, that's what their job is... to manage.

If she is a 'manager', she is one in name only because it doesn't sound like she does much of anything. Sounds to me like she wants the bucks but not the responsibility. You can't run an office by being there 2 days a week and then going off and doing your own thing the rest of the time and telling your staff to contact you by cell phone if something comes up.

Speak to the big boss about what has beein going on and how moral has been on the decline because of this person. Chances are they don't know and would be grateful to get rid of a dead horse that doesn't do anything and put someone into the position that actually cares and can boost company moral.
I couldn't agree more with this post. Somewhere, higher up, there has got to be someone you can address your concerns with...anonymously. Someone over your boss's head, so to speak. I would band together the people who share your frustrations, and put in for a conference call to this person, or individuals, and address each of your concerns. Tell them that you need a boss who is readily present and available to you at all times, and one who is not just available on his/her terms, via cell phone. Tell them that the issue was addressed with her by her employees, and that you're all frustrated that there was no real sense of resolution with that approach. I would also not fail to mention that some of you seem to have some interpersonal issues with the boss...in that her work ethics are making you uncomfortable, as most of you are held to different work standards that she herself fails to live up to.

If this doesn't work, then I would start to look elsewhere for a different job...no job is worth your mental stability and emotional health. Also, as everyone else has mentioned, seek a counselor who can help you work through your anxiety...you're worth it, and the job might not be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It sounds to me like this woman isn't doing her job. Is she the company owner or is she just a manager there? If she's the company owner, then not much you can do about her not being in the office or phoning to let anyone know she's sick and won't be in there.

A manager needs to be there, that's what their job is... to manage.

If she is a 'manager', she is one in name only because it doesn't sound like she does much of anything. Sounds to me like she wants the bucks but not the responsibility. You can't run an office by being there 2 days a week and then going off and doing your own thing the rest of the time and telling your staff to contact you by cell phone if something comes up.

Speak to the big boss about what has beein going on and how moral has been on the decline because of this person. Chances are they don't know and would be grateful to get rid of a dead horse that doesn't do anything and put someone into the position that actually cares and can boost company moral.
Fortunately, she is not the owner. Above her we have a VP of our department with her assistant (who she doesn't like, so doesn't talk to anyway) and then the director of our org, who answers to the head of our parent company.

Originally Posted by GailC

Boy are there lots of issues wih your job.
I too agree that your "manager" should not have her current position. I don't read anything that she actually contributes to your organization. I once worked with a supervisor that I did not get along with. Those were some pretty tense days for me (he resigned!).
Have you thought of making a list of the pros and cons of your current job??
I would also agree with the others asking about counseling/talking with a doctor too.
Good luck- we are here for you!!
I do appreciate some of the things she's done. She's very good about attending management meetings in our main office, which is an hour north of here, to make sure they remember that our office exists. She also will back us 100% when issues do come up between clients and staff. I also appreicate that I have the freedom to be creative in the classroom and what not. All of this I have said to her at some point or another.

Originally Posted by wookie130

I couldn't agree more with this post. Somewhere, higher up, there has got to be someone you can address your concerns with...anonymously. Someone over your boss's head, so to speak. I would band together the people who share your frustrations, and put in for a conference call to this person, or individuals, and address each of your concerns. Tell them that you need a boss who is readily present and available to you at all times, and one who is not just available on his/her terms, via cell phone. Tell them that the issue was addressed with her by her employees, and that you're all frustrated that there was no real sense of resolution with that approach. I would also not fail to mention that some of you seem to have some interpersonal issues with the boss...in that her work ethics are making you uncomfortable, as most of you are held to different work standards that she herself fails to live up to.

If this doesn't work, then I would start to look elsewhere for a different job...no job is worth your mental stability and emotional health. Also, as everyone else has mentioned, seek a counselor who can help you work through your anxiety...you're worth it, and the job might not be.
I think that may be something to seriously consider. We do have an HR department which serves that purpose, though it is just 1 person for our part of the company. I don't think any of us really want her to have to go, but if things don't improve, someone will be leaving....her staff!

I have done a lot of thinking about it this weekend. I'm not quite sure about how to approach her with my anxiety/ocd issues. I don't know if I should see my dr or figure out how to get a counselor first. Though I've mentioned things to her, I don't think she knows the extent of what all I do to get out of the house in the morning without the anxiety following me to work. But then part of me is very afraid of what will come from telling her all of that. I used to be very comfortable with her. Now, I'm not. Maybe that should be brought to HR?

Thank you all again for your replies. You've given me a lot of good guidance to go from and I do appreicate it. Please keep me in your thoughts/prayers over the next few weeks.