I pride myself in having patience with my cats... BUT..

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work from home too and find that if I'm going to get anything done the cats have to be away from me. Generally, they sleep in the back of the house. I'm never on my computer for 18 hours so I can leave them there while I work but if I ever have to work for a long time I just give them breaks every so often. They run for a while and I make a new drink, use the bathroom, whatever until they're ready to go back to sleep.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

Make sure the base is steady. In my zeal to find a deal I bought one that could not hold up to kitten play. It toppled over.
if you aren't renting, you can attach one to the wall to make it more secure - that's what i did w/my eBay one [seemed a bit wobbly to me!]
here's the one i got on eBay - it was $71 including shipping. you can see that even at the price at the armarkat site, you can do better than at Petsmart/Petco type places - that site has free shipping on most of their trees, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

if you aren't renting, you can attach one to the wall to make it more secure - that's what i did w/my eBay one [seemed a bit wobbly to me!]
here's the one i got on eBay - it was $71 including shipping. you can see that even at the price at the armarkat site, you can do better than at Petsmart/Petco type places - that site has free shipping on most of their trees, too.
Man, i love that one! the ones I've seen at petco/smart are pretty cheezy. Actually I wish I was at a home i owned and had a garage. I'd just make a really nice one like I want. But alas, I'm in a condo for the time being.

I think I'm going to get that one. it looks perfect. I can drive some hefty screws in the wall and anchor it with straps. Shouldn't be a problem. It'll give me an excuse to use the new DeWalt I just bought (snicker)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I think I'm going to get that one. it looks perfect. I can drive some hefty screws in the wall and anchor it with straps. Shouldn't be a problem. It'll give me an excuse to use the new DeWalt I just bought (snicker)
well, before you decide - check out the MANY trees on the site - you might find something that goes w/your decor better. i chose that one because my walls are dark blue.
mine love it, tho! here

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see you got some great advice here! Please, please don't ever hit the kitties!!!! Corporal punishment doesn't work. As others have indicated here, using distraction techniques, reinforcement (like the canned air, scary noises) are fine. And giving them their own places to hang out while you work so they can do their kitty thing while you do your human thing is terrific.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I refuse to hit them. I just get frustrated. My parents liked to spank our dogs, and us
but when I grew up it just didn't make sense. I don't believe in hitting AT ALL.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Yeah I refuse to hit them. I just get frustrated. My parents liked to spank our dogs, and us
but when I grew up it just didn't make sense. I don't believe in hitting AT ALL.
Good for you!!! My grandfather used to say, good children don't need to be spanked and it doesn't help the bad ones!

One thing I do with my rambunctious shelter kitties is pin them... not hurting them of course, tug their scruffs or blow a puff of air in their faces. I will occasionally give a finger tap on the nose or head - not a hit at all, mind you. Like a momma cat would do ... a little rap with a paw .. to let junior know he/she is out of line. This has to be done immediately b/c they need to associate it with what they just did that you didn't like or behavior that is getting out of hand.

I have one kitten now who sometimes has to have a "time out". Pin; pinch; tap; "NO, Akon"; scoop and into his cage!!! And he complains! Raaaawwwwrrroooooooo!!!! Like a little kid... No mommy, don't put me in a time out!!!

This is him!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From another work at home person whose cats play on my desk constantly, here are some things you can do.

First of all choose a static screensaver, one that doesn't move. Movement attracts kitties. Get a tall board and place it up alongside the top of your computer shelf where your printer is- my cats loved to lay on top of my printer and now the board is so tall, it discourages them from trying.

Any time you leave the room, turn your monitor off (if you keep your computer on all the time)

http://www.bitboost.com/pawsense/ if they play on the keyboard as mine do, this software will protect it.

Be sure the cat condo you purchase is tall enough and strong enough to stand up to rough cat play. Place it so they can see you at all times, but not close enough that they can leap from the condo to your desk- talk about scaring someone!

Get a large round rubber tub, put a few ping pong balls in it, sprinkle some catnip on the bottom and let them have this playground only when you are on the computer (not all the time).

Instead of spanking a cat, there are devices you can set around your home office to deter them www.contech-inc.com has some good ones that will scare them but not hurt them.

Keep a long sheet of tin foil nearby and flap it when they get to close. The noise will make them flee.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nova wants to be the center of attention, so she sits on my important things- laptop, homeworks, whatever. I keep extra papers on my desk as a decoy.

She doesn't like to be brushed, so if she goes on the desk and lays on something important... I groom her.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions... the ones you have gotten sound pretty good. But I do sympathize!