I ordered a mattress in a box..

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My back is in terrible shape right now and I decided to get a new mattress. I have wanted a certain brand for quite some time with all the bells and whistles, but it is simply out of my price range now. I started shopping for inexpensive mattresses and was wary of mattresses in a box. However, I called the furniture store where we usually shop, and the salesperson told me that now most mattresses do come in a box. (And by that, she meant the kind that you have to unroll and allow to inflate.) I ordered one and hope it's good or will at least relieve some of my pain. Does anyone else have one? What are your thoughts?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this an air mattress or water bed? Im a bit confused.

Air matresses will make back pain worse if anything, they are meant for temporary use such as camping not as a permanent bed.

Personaly I like a good memory foam matress there are many different types but I like the springless ones.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought an adjustable bed and mattress about six years ago. The mattress seemed comfy in the store but I soon found out it was so soft it gave me a terrible backache. So a few months later I tested dozens of mattresses at a local store and forked out money for another mattress. Unfortunately this mattress was so firm I got unbearable hip pain from it and could only sleep on my back. I bought mattress toppers and those only helped a bit. Two new mattresses and a lot of cash in less than a year and I was miserable.

Out of desperation I bought a $200 bed in a box off of Amazon, a latex hybrid mattress made by Linenspa. That was five years ago and from the first night on it has given me the most comfortable, wonderful sleep. Linenspa doesn’t make this model any more but I would buy another bed in a box without hesitation.

The box the mattress comes in is heavy and it does help to have a second person to help get it inside, the mattress out And onto the bed. Once the bag is one the bed you cut some plastic and the mattress start to inflate.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Personaly I would want to go test a mattress before buying it. It is something you will be sleeping on for 10+ years if you get a good one.

If you buy from a mattress store it also often has a trial period too so if you discover it is giving you pain after a month or two then you can exchange it. At least Sleep Country offers this.

They also will get rid of your old one and set up the new one for you.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My back is in terrible shape right now and I decided to get a new mattress. I have wanted a certain brand for quite some time with all the bells and whistles, but it is simply out of my price range now. I started shopping for inexpensive mattresses and was wary of mattresses in a box. However, I called the furniture store where we usually shop, and the salesperson told me that now most mattresses do come in a box. (And by that, she meant the kind that you have to unroll and allow to inflate.) I ordered one and hope it's good or will at least relieve some of my pain. Does anyone else have one? What are your thoughts?
I have one. I also got one for DD and then I got another one for her room for when she comes to visit. She took the one I originally got for her when she moved. I LOVE IT! So does she. IndyJones IndyJones It is not an air mattress. It is memory foam. The memory foam mattresses that are in stores are exactly the same. They get it from the factory rolled up and shrink wrapped too. Then they set it up for people to check it out. I chose mine based on reviews and the description for size, thickness, etc. I am very, very happy with mine as is DD. The girls like it too.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Its strange because when I got mine it explicitly said not to bend it and keep it flat. They brought it up the stairs completly flat with some seran wrap covering it. Maybe it is different for Sealy posturepedic mattresses idk. Mine had no box and was brought on the truck from the mattress store (not floor model)

Needless to say I have had it for maybe 5 years and it is still almost like new. Worth it to spend a bit extra and get a comfy long lasting mattress. Has a 10 year warenty I believe.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, we bought one from the store, Sealy or something, definitely did not come in a box. I was awfully wary of those and they didn't seem to be that much cheaper.I hope it works out!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
No, we bought one from the store, Sealy or something, definitely did not come in a box. I was awfully wary of those and they didn't seem to be that much cheaper.I hope it works out!
Was my thinking on this. Spend a few more dollars for something that you know you are going to like. My next mattress will probably be a sealy or sertta too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We played musical mattresses last winter after the one in the store felt nothing like what we got and DH kept having issues. We ended up with two twin xl mattresses from Stearns & Foster and my side has a memory foam topper that came in a box. I’ve always wanted more plush and DH more firm. I think it’s because he is straight/slim shaped and I’m curvy plus-sized.

I’m tempted to get DD a bed in a box to replace the one we got when she was little. It doesn’t feel comfortable to me. Only thereturn ability makes me want to stick with a store.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers. It really makes me feel better about my choice. I really would to have seen it in person but it gives me a sense of relief knowing some of you have them and love them ❤.

I really want a Sleep Number, but it's not in the budget right now. Maybe next year. I got a $230.00 on Amazon. It was on sale. I can use the old mattress in the cats room, I suppose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely, MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles ! The amazon seller sent me an email updating the delivery date, and giving specific suggestions that will help the adjustment go smoother. I thought that was nice of them.