I Need Your Valued Wisdom, Peeps! Please?????

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi......I am most likely getting a fifth kitty tomorrow. I presently feed my four cats Nature's Variety Instinct canned. I spend about $300 a month on food. I cannot afford to buy this brand for 5 cats :-( I've become OCD about reading labels.....I'm pretty certain there are no affordable brands out there that don't contain guar gum, carrageenan, synthetic vitamin K, fish fillers, or anything that I obsess over avoiding. Is there a relatively healthy canned food that you can recommend? I'll have to settle for a bad ingredient, unless someone knows of another brand that's all good. I'm stressing over getting another cat. Thank you!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you may want to check out the american journey foods on chewy? they have some poultry flavors that i think will be good for everything you mentioned except guar gum. Its really hard to find any foods, no matter the price without something in it. I have tried to quit obsessing about it :) and feed the best i can without driving myself totally nuts. not sure i have been successful, i still get a bit nuts, but i try. :bliss:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will check it out right now. How do you feel about Wellness Core pates?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like wellness ok, now that they have removed the carrageenan. still wish it was a bit higher in protein and lower in fat, but cant have everything i suppose. in a rotation i think it would be fine. Unfortunately my cats are not fans. I have tried several of the wellness foods and my guys are always so so about it.

my cats were also not fans, but quite a few say their cats like the chicken soup adult recipe. some of the nutro max cats might be ok. and the whole earth farms foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had it down just fine with the NV Instinct! Now with 5, it’s getting out of hand. I checked out the Journey...seems good but only available at Chewy. I hate charging things. I’ll check the others you mentioned. Thank you so much!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will check it out right now. How do you feel about Wellness Core pates?
Our cats really like those: I only feed them the kitten food (it's their sentimental journey back to their youth!) and duck/turkey. They actually seem to like the new carrageenan-free formula better than the previous recipe, which I'd cut because of the carrageenan. I don't think Core is the best food (some of it has meal in it, ridiculous for the price, and some have potato so you have to watch out for that) but the cats like it.

I think Nutro Natural Choice tends to be a good value: though it's not on the cheap end, it's fairly caloric and our cats always eat it up.