I Need Your Suggestions On My Cat Behavior.

rescuedkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers. I do have a problem. My year and a half female cat was spooked by an upper part of her litter box. We have this dome one that looks like an igloo. I cleaned it and, probably, didn’t put it back properly. She went inside and it made a loud noise. So she got spooked peed and pooped once outside the box. Then I figured why she won’t go in the box. Now I took out an upper part and she is going inside again. Any ideas how to make her not to be afraid and go potty in the closed litter box? Any suggestions would be great. She is a digger so if I can make her go in the closed litter box I will be happy and it will be much less cleaning for me. Thank you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The good news is that she is using the litter box again, albeit without the upper part. And right now, that's better than not using the litter box at all.

Could you perhaps get one of the higher sided litter boxes and see if she would use that. And then if she does, you could try putting the upper part back on the original one, and see if she will start using it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuedkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I guess I will try that.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers. I do have a problem. My year and a half female cat was spooked by an upper part of her litter box. We have this dome one that looks like an igloo. I cleaned it and, probably, didn’t put it back properly. She went inside and it made a loud noise. So she got spooked peed and pooped once outside the box. Then I figured why she won’t go in the box. Now I took out an upper part and she is going inside again. Any ideas how to make her not to be afraid and go potty in the closed litter box? Any suggestions would be great. She is a digger so if I can make her go in the closed litter box I will be happy and it will be much less cleaning for me. Thank you.
We just switched to this box, it’s similar (or maybe the same?) as what you described. What I love about it is that is almost eliminated litter tracking in the house because she must use the bunny stairs to clean her feet, instead of just jumping over he catch mat. Since she was wary of it, at first she used the bottom half only, then the next day I placed the top on the floor neat the box, she eyeballed it, then used the box. Next step was to put the lid right next to the box, lots of pets. Final step, lid back on, and favorite toys on the steps. She couldn’t resist and now lives it! Hope this will work for you too! Last week it was only 23$, amazons prices change constantly.

Booda Dome Cleanstep Cat Box, Titanium

rescuedkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The thing is she already used it with the top part on. When you clean it make sure that is put properly on. I didn’t and the noise it made when top part slipped, was very loud. So now she is afraid to go when the top part on.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The thing is she already used it with the top part on. When you clean it make sure that is put properly on. I didn’t and the noise it made when top part slipped, was very loud. So now she is afraid to go when the top part on.
I paid extra attention tonight after hearing your scare.:( I think it’s possibly like toilet training though, you move steps slowly, but if they get scared and don’t want to use the toilet, you start all over. (Litter box on the floor, raised a few inches a day, then on toilet and so on.) If you try small steps she may accept it! Crossing my fingers for you!!:hearthrob:

rescuedkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. If I would able to train her to use it again. I will keep you posted. I’ve learned my lesson, that cats do get scared easily.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should take the top off. Then, after a while, put the top in a place near the litter box where she can see it. After she's used to it being there, put it right next to the litter box but not on top. Once you've let her use the box like that for a while, try putting it back on top the way it's supposed to be.

I'd guess you could go a week or so between steps... maybe more, maybe less, depending...

My theory is that, hopefully, she might interpret the top the same way she sees a box or a kitty condo and use it like a hideout. Then, as you move the top closer, she'll make the association with her hideout and the litter box.

Horse?... Water?... I think you know the drill... ;)