I need you for my tree

arlo haarsma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Cher was diagnosed with low self confidence this morning and I need to get or buy a tree.  I want to build one for her since she is so precious to me and I know I will not find one as awesome as I can build for her...especially with your help. 

This is what I am hoping for:

If you know of an attachment, amenity, idea or anything else that would incorporate into a cat tree will please let me know.  I will start designing one tonight and let you all know how it goes with pics and vids.

This is what I have so far:

Bucket cut in half for a curved section

Hammock/cot on top for premium comfort

driftwood in the construction for her to rub on

sisal wrap

possibly a watering system so she can complete lounge in ultimate comfort

any other ideas?  Share with me please!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
great idea Arlo - can't wait to see it! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Well, you need perches, I guess..... and carpet, to cover the bucket.....
In my house.... if you want to go all the way LOL..... wall shelves in addition to the tree (next to it, so the kitties can jump from the tree to the shelves), are a HUGE hit!
You can do it yourself - just regular carpet covered wall mounted book shelves....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlo haarsma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i was thinking about the floating wall shelves however I am not a "Bob the Builder" guy...I guess I can be...I have an education in that...ah these projects are always a bit overwhelming in the beginning.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was thinking about the floating wall shelves however I am not a "Bob the Builder" guy...I guess I can be...I have an education in that...ah these projects are always a bit overwhelming in the beginning.
I am not either.... I am just a regular girl..... who went to home depot..... got some shelves, brackets, tools, carpet, an a glue gun.... If I did it, I am sure you can do it too.... Look:

Just make sure to get one of those tools that finds the stubs behind the dry wall, so you install the brackets on the correct place.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, platforms! Our little Flowerbelle loves the hanging basket up near the top, but they ALL love having multiple levels to jump around & lounge on (even better is two cat trees next to each other. ;) ). EVEN better if it's up against a window, and there's a bird feeder stuck to the window!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlo haarsma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you so much for the links and ideas.  How awesome!  Gonna dig right in now - kind of mix them all together.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Low self confidence, huh? :p I think your vet's an amateur psychologist!

Seriously though, it's quite possible for cats to feel nervous or fearful too often, and a nervous cat definitely does benefit from having some perches where she can see all around while still feeling protected.

Christy is rather fearful that way, and she is very attached to her perches. All of them are places where Tiny can't go (Tiny's younger, more boisterous, wants to play rough-and-tumble, which she hates). She sits on top of the kitchen cabinets, near the ceiling; or in small boxes; or under things. If your kitty likes hiding spots, a cat tree should have lots of those hideaways, where she can hide but has a good view of her surroundings. Also, perhaps she'd like window seats. Christy likes those. Try pushing an extra table or dresser up near a window and putting her kitty bed on top of it. If she likes that you can even buy her a dedicated kitty window seat--they exist, I kid you not; check a big pet store.

Combining hiding spots and vantage points is great for scaredy-kitties.

momto2kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already posted these pix on another area of this forum but in case you didn't see them and so you get the idea anyone can do this, heck, I'm practically a lil ole lady and my son and I put these shelves up, after covering them with carpet: 

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few things outta me, Arlo:
  • Use screws (non-rusting type), not nails or glue--easier to take apart and replace, and no toxicity from glue
  • Use non-loop, low-pile carpet for carpeted areas--don't want claws to get caught
  • Don't use treated wood for posts--even could find some nice sturdy tree branches (just a thought and would look awesome)
  • Cover the posts with sisal and some with carpet
  • Put sides on the perches--some kitties have a tendency to fall asleep and fall off a perch
  • Make sure the base is wide for stability--and use 1" plywood (one of my tree bases is 30" wide)
  • Don't skimp on the depth of the plywood for the platforms/perches
  • You could make a tunnel by using a form that construction contractors use for creating round concrete pillars--I think places like Lowes or places that sell construction supplies have these, and they come in varying sizes
It's late, but if I think of anything else...I'll be back! Can't wait to watch your progress!!

momto2kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The "ikea bjarnum" brackets cannot be purchased online.  I saw the Ikea hackers site when I was searching for ideas for kitty shelves.  I guess you need to buy them directly from a store.  They do look very cool though.  Wish I had an Ikea near me.  Arlo, if you decide to go that route, hope there's 1 in GR.  

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the Bjarnum brackets for some shelves here - they are very sturdy but I would definitely suggest you have someone help you when you install them, they can be a real pain to put up. I do like them better than most shelf brackets because you don't actually attach the shelf to the bracket, it just slides in. I just find they look really nice. They do get pricey though if you're buying a bunch of them, the brackets are $15 for two and then you buy the actual shelf as well, depending on the length you want, they can be about $35+ a shelf. 

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the idea of shelves too, and would love to create some for my bubbies to complement their kitty tree. Only thing that I would do is apply non-slip stair treads cut to size on them to make them safer for all kitties, including those that have been declawed, if they are a smooth surface.

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some Bjarnum shelves in action:

There are velcro tabs on the main shelf to affix some carpeting. 

A wider view: