I need to write a tribute to Pikachu

oopsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I only recently joined the site so none of you knew Pikachu. I wish you had. He was an amazing cat, a survivor, a traveler, a diplomat and a sheer joy. He was one of the sweetest, most open cats I've ever met. I miss him every day.

Pika was my 34-year-old daughter's cat. He was born in Connecticut to her dad's female cat and a Maine Coon traveling salesman.  When he was 6 months old, my daughter and her fiance moved to St. Paul Minnesota where the fiance's family lived. Pika rode happily in the car the whole way, excited to be on an adventure. They stayed in motels and he'd explore the whole room, not even remotely nervous or upset, never hiding under the furniture like so many cats will. He was just always happy.

They settled into life in MN but when Pika was 2, my daughter woke in the night to hear him crying strangely. She found him barely alive, panting with his mouth open and with foam coming out. The rushed him to the U. of Minn. vet hospital where he was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, The vets had almost no hope of saving him - he was that far gone. But he was young and they tried and he came back from the brink of death. His vet was impressed but told my daughter he'd be lucky if he lived a year.

He lived for 8.

And it was a good life. It took a long time for him to fully recover but he did. He was on medication for the rest of his life and he was so good about it. He seemed to know it was what kept him alive and he'd tell you morning and night that it was time for his medicine. He'd lead you to the counter where it sat and lick the liquid off the syringe. It was NOT tasty medicine either. He also took pills without batting an eye or needing a pill pouch. 

But despite all that, he was just a happy cat. He loved to bask in the sunshine and sit by the screen door, sniffing the fresh air. He liked to catch grasshoppers and eat them and he loved to play with those little soft balls for cats. He rated himself, never getting so excited that he'd get out of breath, but he didn't just lump around either.

And he was a ray of sunshine. He'd climb into your lap and purr and purr, gazing at you with deep amber eyes. When he was 4, my daughter moved out here to California and he took another long car journey. He had one bad spell in the car getting stressed and panting but she stopped for the night and he stabilized. He lived out here for 6 years, much of it with me and my husband and our cats. He loved his little nieces and nephews as we called them and though he couldn't play hard like they did, he cheerfully batted at their tails and flicked his own for them to chase.

This past October, I took him to the vet for a routine visit. The traffic was bad and we were in the car for almost an hour. Pika got stressed and by the time we got there was going into heart failure. They stabilized him as well as they could and I rushed him to the emergency vet. They put him on oxygen and I was able to bring him  home the next day but he never really recovered. HCM thickens the muscle in the heart, making it harder and harder to pump blood. Pika had lived with it for a long time and his heart just wasn't able to keep going.

The other kitties were so gentle with him. They let him rest and just lay near him, being close. I think that comforted him. But he got weaker and weaker and I finally accepted that he wasn't going to make it. He wasn't actively suffering - he seemed comfortable but wasn't eating and barely drinking. So reluctantly, I made an appointment to bring him in for euthanasia on the afternoon of October 24th. 

That morning, I just snuggled him and pet him and he purred and purred in my arms. I carried him outside on the deck so he could smell the fresh air and hear the birds and he lay in my lap and watched them. Then he pulled himself down and hobbled to the door, asking to go in. I went with him and he lay on the kitchen floor and I sat with him as he rested. And there in the kitchen he pulled in a last breath, let it out slowly and died in my arms.

I am grateful that he died at home. I hated bringing him on a car journey in his condition. I also hated the thought of taking him away from the others, never to return. They other three came out one by one and gingerly sniffed his body. The boys were very reserved for a while but were soon playing again. Oops however, sniffed him then rushed to the bedroom where she stayed all day. She is the most sensitive and is a caregiver. She grieved for several days.

Pikachu's ashes are now on a shelf in our bedroom, along with the ashes and photos of other departed loved ones. There is a tuft of his fur in a baggie up there and a little plaque with a paw print. I'm glad he was able to enjoy life as long as he did and when I miss him too much I step outside and sit in the fresh air, breathing it in and thinking about how much pleasure he took in just being alive.

They never live long enough.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, what a wonderful tribute. Piku was a beautiful cat, and his purrsonality was obviously one of a kind. It's so hard to lose any cat, but it does make it harder when they have the kind of personality and attitude that seems deserving of a much longer and healthier life.

I agree it is actually a gift if they can pass at home. There is always angst with putting down your best friend. I've only had one cat out of 7 who died at home naturally, and the difference to my soul was huge.

Rest in peace, Piku.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute.  Pika was so lucky to have had you taking care of him, and obviously you felt lucky, too, to have him in your life.  

Rest in peace, little Pika. 

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can feel the caring and love in your tribute to such a wonderful family member, I commend you for your positive take on that sweet cat's life. I wish we all could enjoy life as well as he did.I'm also so glad he died at home in the arms of the one he loved so much, I'm sure it comforted him greatly when he began his journey to the Rainbow Bridge. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, take comfort in the wonderful memories you have, he'll always be with you in that special place in your heart. RIP sweet Pikachu, you will never be forgotten, thank you for bringing so much happiness to those who loved you!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an amazing story about a remarkable kitty; he sounded like a gentle warrior. Thanks for sharing him with us. I am sorry you lost the little guy

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was a beautiful tribute, you made me feel like  I got to know Pika as a result. He sure was a handsome cat, so nice to have pictures to cherish

and such wonderful memories to have in your heart forever. God Bless. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oopsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. He was indeed a wonderful boy. "Gentle warrior" - I like that. :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's a beautiful tribute to a beautiful cat. It sounds as if Pikachu knew his time on earth was limited and lived every minute to the fullest. HCM is a terrible disease.

RIP, Pikachu.:rbheart:

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute and what  a beautiful cat. Thank you for sharing.

Rest in peace dear Pikachu...

(((hugs)))

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would have given much to be able to sit in the sun with you and the remarkable Pikachu.  I will do so in my heart.

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a big beautiful boy!!  I'm telling yall, there is something special about orange boys 

You're a great writer - it's easy to see how much you loved Pika and what a great spirit for life he had.  I've loved every single animal who's ever been under my care, but there's been a few who were really exceptional - those special animals who had great personalities and really loved interacting with us - it sounds like Pika was one of those.   And it's especially hard when you lose one like that.   I'm so sorry for your loss - you had several good years with him, but it's really never enough.....I'm glad that he passed peacefully at home with you versus at a vet clinic - that's the best possible way to go, and it offers resolution to your other cats (seeing what happened for themselves).   It sounds like Pika had a great life with you - I'm happy that you all were fortunate enough to find each other

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful boy he was. There will be a very bright star in the sky due to his passing![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji]

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was a truly beauiful tribute to your handsome orinch boy Pikachu- seems that you and he were meant to be together... and i agree with you and the others, there is never enough time with our beloved furbabies :-(

Fly Free Sweet Pikachu and land softly- You were so loved.

castle cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear Pikachu,

You’re a handsome cat. Have you read what your oopsmom wrote about you? It’s a lovely, beautiful tribute about you. It brought me tears reading it. If you haven’t read it please read it when you are free. What a pity, Pikachu, you left your oopsmom quite early. We all know that you miss your oopsmom and other cats you left behind. They do miss you terribly.

I hope you are having a good time at the Rainbow Bridge. Say hello to all other cats at the Rainbow Bridge. Tell them that we are mourning for them. By the way, have you met my boss Jethro? He left me on April 13, 2015. Like you he use to climb into my lap and relax. Like you, he use to enjoy relaxing in the garden. If you see him greet him.  I miss him. I know he is waiting for me to join him.

Castle Cat (Late Jethro’s humble servant)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We lost our first cat to that disease. She made a temporary recovery, but it only lasted two weeks. It is a terrible disease. But your cat knew a wonderful life with people to love him. He is one of the prettiest cats I have ever seen. In time, your memories will be sweet, but for now, yes they are painful. They leave a hole in our hearts that never heals. Sending you hugs and wishes for peace.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am truly sorry for your loss of your precious Pika. I had to look twice at your picture of him, as I thought I was looking at my Mittens. Believe me, Pika and Mittens could be twins.
You loved your sweet kitty and gave him a wonderful life. Yes, his life should have lasted years more. He knew love though and that is so important. He had a safe warm loving home and was happy.
He passed safe at home with you, in your loving arms. He will always be missed. He was a big part of your life and will remain in your heart forever.
RIP Sweet Pika!
You were so loved and will always be missed!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was a really beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Pikachu.