I need to vent

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What a nightmare! I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this Pam. If you were anywhere near New York I'd give you my sister's number because she is a dog sitter and she has a real gift with problem dogs. You're not anywhere near New York, are you?

My Mum cared for her elderly Aunts until the job became too much for her and they were moved into assisted living. Do you know what though, they loved it there! I think the idea of giving up your home and your independence might be really scary, but you soon get used to having neighbours close to your own age who share your own interests, someone to make sure the shopping and cleaning is done for you, medical help on call 24 hours ......

I hope you find a solution to all of this soon.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's good that Rick is limiting your involvement whilst he's away. The last thing you need is to burn yourself out, and you have plenty to deal with as it is.

Don't feel bad about kennelling Jackie - a well run kennels really isn't bad at all. A friend of mine kennels hers several times a year and they love it there! There's no reason why Jackie won't feel the same.

I really feel for you all - this is a dreadful situation to be in. I hope you're able to resolve things in a way that's good for ALL of you :vibes:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of several situations where an elderly family member loved assisted living once they  were actually living there.  It was a real struggle to get them there.  Of course it also took a while for them to admit that they loved it and it was a good decision,

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of places that take a senior animal in to live out its life, you must give a sizable check for its care. I moved in with my dad when my mom died. He is 93 and has a pacemaker. He lets my old dog out 3 times while I am at work then puts him back in crate and cares for the two cats. I have no family to worry about, so I just left my condo which sits vacant with all my furniture in it because I do not know how this will play out. Except for a 60 day rehab in nursing home when he broke ankle shoveling snow ugh, he has done pretty well. He lives in a ranch with one tiny step which he fell off of when he had the cast, then had to go to rehab facility. I never dreamed my 50s would be like this! I am now 63 and hope to be able to work to 66. Sometimes being an only child is not that great!

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Right now the dog is with the neighbor. They're going to talk to the neighbor today and offer to pay the neighbor to keep her until Rick's mom gets out of the nursing home. I don't think that's going to go over well because the neighbor doesn't want Jackie full-time and is just doing this to help out. But we shall see. If it doesn't work out, then they're going to kennel her until Rick's mom can come back home. 
This is a good idea, maybe if the neighbor is paid she might reconsider and keep Jackie for a longer period of time.  I hope this pans out. Your crating Jackie while you're at work is a good idea except the neighbors might let you know that Jackie is crying and howling all day.

All kennels are different and I don't know much about them but you can check it out, Jackie has to go somewhere, poor doggie.  I know you're doing everything you can Pam, I hope something works out for her.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
MIL was transferred to a different hospital last week because of problems with her pacemaker. She was only there for two days and has been discharged from that hospital and is now in the nursing home for physical therapy. She seems to be doing well, but now is having some problems with walking since she was in bed for a while. They will be working on PT for her legs as well as her arm. Overall, she's OK. Pacemaker is working fine. She's really counting on being back home around the beginning of September. And I know she'll make it; she's a strong (and determined) woman.

Jackie is in a kennel close to our house. I don't go to visit because I don't want to get her excited and have her think she's coming home. But I call down every other day or so to see how she's doing. She had stopped eating for a couple of days, but is eating now and she seems to be doing well. After we come back from Canada, if she still can't go home, she will be coming to our house. We will deal with her "Beagle Bay". 
  And I guess the neighbors will, too. It will work out.

No, we're not close to New York. But thank you, Norachan. 

And thank you for being here for us. All of you.

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have many comments to add, but I'm a good listener.  Have you and Rick discussed privately the change in your mother-in-law's personality with her doctor?  When I worked in family practice, we had a number of family members coming in for that type of situation, often not big things but subtle changes in an elderly parent that concerned them.  Even HIPPA with laws, our doctors often made concessions and were willing to sit down with the family in concern for the patient.  Sometimes the patient was present for the visit, sometimes not.  

It sounds as if you have all gone through a great deal and it's a major adjustment for everyone.  
 I think Jackie will be Jackie (like Snickers is Snickers
....he is a little dachshund fellow) and eventually you'll get used to her.