I need to install a cat-proof fence

debs0n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! After a few weeks of sitting with my grief and processing (I'm going to therapy and it helps) I am about to adopt a young female cat. However, after the heartbreak of my dear Freddie getting run over I refuse to let them go anywhere near the street, which means I have to fence my backyard. My backyard is completely walled all over, however, my family wants them to still have access to the roof on the bedroom outside my kitchen (it is a single-story building attached to my house), so I am looking to fence that part. It of course would be easier to not allow them to go up there, but well, house rules and all that. Either way, it would mean taking that roof as the floor and building upwards. That established, how high does a cat-proof fence need to be in order to be successful in keeping the kitties in? My brother was suggesting something about 3 ft tall with an additional 1.5 ft. leaning in to keep them from climbing over it. I fear it might be too short for a healthy, young cat not to jump over it. What do you guys think? I have absolutely no experience with these kinds of fences so I really need suggestions on how to work this out. Thanks in advance!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! After a few weeks of sitting with my grief and processing (I'm going to therapy and it helps) I am about to adopt a young female cat. However, after the heartbreak of my dear Freddie getting run over I refuse to let them go anywhere near the street, which means I have to fence my backyard. My backyard is completely walled all over, however, my family wants them to still have access to the roof on the bedroom outside my kitchen (it is a single-story building attached to my house), so I am looking to fence that part. It of course would be easier to not allow them to go up there, but well, house rules and all that. Either way, it would mean taking that roof as the floor and building upwards. That established, how high does a cat-proof fence need to be in order to be successful in keeping the kitties in? My brother was suggesting something about 3 ft tall with an additional 1.5 ft. leaning in to keep them from climbing over it. I fear it might be too short for a healthy, young cat not to jump over it. What do you guys think? I have absolutely no experience with these kinds of fences so I really need suggestions on how to work this out. Thanks in advance!
Hi and Welcome to TCS! Had you considered having the new cat come in or is that the 'house rules' you are referring to?
Some people build catios and they can come in all shapes and sizes. You can google and get really good ideas.

Sorry about the lose of your other kitty!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure why a cat needs to be on a roof? Can you just build an enclosed catio next to the house and put in an access point so the cat can go between the house and the catio whenever it wants to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debs0n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure why a cat needs to be on a roof? Can you just build an enclosed catio next to the house and put in an access point so the cat can go between the house and the catio whenever it wants to?
Because my other cat has gotten used to it and enjoys it. I have no need for a catio, my yard is walled. I just want to know what the proper measurements for a cat fence would be so my cat can keep enjoying that space in a safe way :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debs0n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and Welcome to TCS! Had you considered having the new cat come in or is that the 'house rules' you are referring to?
Some people build catios and they can come in all shapes and sizes. You can google and get really good ideas.

Sorry about the lose of your other kitty!
I am a little bit confused about your question, but I'm going to answer it as I think you formulated it. Getting the kitten was my decision, but it is my parents house and they would like the cats to still have access to that little roof space. I only need to know what the appropiate height would be for a cat-proof fence. Thanks!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a little bit confused about your question, but I'm going to answer it as I think you formulated it. Getting the kitten was my decision, but it is my parents house and they would like the cats to still have access to that little roof space. I only need to know what the appropiate height would be for a cat-proof fence. Thanks!
Why can’t the cat live in the house? Why does the cat need to be on the roof? Being outdoors and on a roof isn’t safe for any cat

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 feet your cats will be up and over in one leap easy . graycie can leap 6 feet straight up easily onto the wall mounted ac unit in my apartment i would probably fence off a kennel /catio type thing with chain link fencing top/sides on the roof its not gonna look pretty but. she would be safe along with having peace of mind she is safe

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 feet your cats will be up and over in one leap easy . graycie can leap 6 feet straight up easily onto the wall mounted ac unit in my apartment i would probably fence off a kennel /catio type thing with chain link fencing top/sides on the roof its not gonna look pretty but. she would be safe along with having peace of mind she is safe
This is correct. For something shorter than 6 or 7ft it would need a wire roof. A lean at the top edge, a roller at the top edge, or plastic roofing panels at the top edge are all good options. But those need to be around 8ft tall. And a wire roof/ceiling can be shorter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I just cannot even picture any of this in my mind. Could you post a photo :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some that claim that rollers on top of a 4 foot fence are good enough, unless there's something on the other side for the cat to jump onto, because cats don't like to jump clear over a fence not knowing what's on the other side. They prefer to jump onto the fence and take a look at the other side before they jump down. So maybe 4 feet with an overhang would be enough.

6 feet of a flexible mesh (like bird netting) on somewhat flexible posts might also work, because cats don't like the feeling of jumping on something that unstable. It probably wouldn't stop a truly determined cat, but most cats wouldn't want to try after the first time. And since it's on a rooftop (if I'm reading that correctly?), you wouldn't have to worry about dogs breaking in so it doesn't have to be super sturdy.

Bird netting on fiberglass poles would most likely be sufficient and nearly invisible, if that's a concern for your parents.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because my other cat has gotten used to it and enjoys it.
but it is my parents house and they would like the cats to still have access to that little roof space.

I still don't understand why the cats need to be on the roof at all :dunno: Why do the cats need access to the roof other than one of the cat is used to being up there? Is there something on the roof? Do the cats spend time inside the home at all?

If it's just being on an elevated space, then build a tall cat tree in the yard. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, just sturdy.

Norachan Norachan might have some suggestions on fencing for you.