I need to find a decent kennel/tote

jackshaftoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

New here. Joined this morning and am searching for a better kennel fro Oliver. He's about 5 years old, and is a big cat (18 lbs). I have a pretty standard kennel that my sister picked up when she got him, all plastic except the door. However, I don't like it and neither does he.

For those of you with bigger than normal cats, has anyone found a kennel that they really like and would recommend? Oliver hates travelling, so I'm a little unsure of getting something he might chew through without much effort... He's slowly getting better the more he travels. Last trip he actually fell asleep after he yowled himself tired!!!
He's such a baby.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got Sherpa bags (you can find them in the dog section of Petsmart in larger sizes)...my boy is about 14 pounds and fits into the medium size one fine, and the large size seems nice a roomy for him. Sherpa is expensive, but I really like them....zipper top and front doors, and they're rated for air travel in the cabin. There's a lambs wool pad on the bottom that's removable and washable.

In fact, right now Dante is napping in the medium size one - we went to the vet yesterday and I leave the carriers out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackshaftoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I've got Sherpa bags (you can find them in the dog section of Petsmart in larger sizes)...my boy is about 14 pounds and fits into the medium size one fine, and the large size seems nice a roomy for him.
Thanks for the reply Darlili. They look great! Can you tell me if you think it would be possible to claw through the mesh siding at all? That's my one concern with cloth carriers.

Oliver doesn't travel very well, and I want to make sure he doesn't get it in his head to escape the bag by chewing/clawing his way out of it. While he's in transit, he yowls a lot, and in the current kennel he claws at the door sometimes. Then, when you arrive at the destination he acts like nothing happened.

Large sized one sounds perfect size for him.

Large: for pets up to 18" Long x 11" Tall, up to 22lbs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackshaftoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P.S. Part of the reason I am nervous about cloth totes is due to a friend of mine - who has a very tall/large cat named Dylan. He chewed out of a cloth tote while in the car one day... that story makes me nervous. I cannot imagine Oliver loose in the car while I am driving. Yikes!