I need some advice regarding my Turkish Angoras...

joyoverflowing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my biggest reasons for joining this site is that I need some advice from people who are experienced cat lovers, vets and/or breeders. 

First of all, even though both of my cats (Blue and Bella) are only a few generations separated from the Ankara zoo's breeding program, I did not plan to breed them myself.  I'm not a breeder and don't plan to become one.  I purchased both of my cats while I was teaching in the Middle East. After seeing how social they were, and how hard leaving for work was, I knew I had to have two  (Blue still cries a little at the door when I leave, actually, it's more of a yell, "TAKE ME WITH YOU!"). That was a year and a half ago, and half a world away, and I have loved almost every minute of my life with them since (litter box cleaning is not my favorite! Thank GOD to be back in the US where their are better options!). These guys are absolutely part of my family. I feel so lucky that they are mine. But, this is the first time I have owned cats, so I only have about 18 months of experience with only Blue and Bella. 

When Blue was 6 months old, I started doing research on the best place to get him neutered. But after hearing multiple warnings from heart-broken ex-pats whose cats died while being neutered or spayed from too much anesthesia, I wasn't willing to risk it. (The "vets" trained there only have short term internships, and primarily work on larger animals like camels and horses) I had Blue neutered a few weeks ago after landing back on American soil, but 2 weeks later, I welcomed 5 sweet, fluffy white kittens to my family. ... and they are ADORABLE! The thing is, I love these little guys (3 girls and 2 boys) and I want to make sure live long happy lives as part of loving families. 

I know the traditional white Turkish Angoras are pretty rare here in the Northwest (I'm in Oregon), and from my understanding, a lot of Turkish Angora breeders here in the US often have waiting lists, so I'm hoping that will help towards finding people who really want them. They are still young and none of their eyes have changed colors, but at this point all of them appear to be able to hear. (I know this is often a problem with blue eyed white cats) And I have been feeding Bella Royal Canin kitten food (dry and wet), kitten milk and rotisserie chicken (it's her favorite), so both she and the kittens are healthy. I've also been bringing in toys and friends of all ages (2 to 102!) to help socialize the kittens to try to help make sure they will be well adjusted pets. 

But I'm not quite sure where to start on finding them good families, which is why I'm starting now while the kittens are only 4 weeks old.  I want to put together an application form to weed out less suitable homes. I'm just not sure what all I should include, or the best places to post them. I can't tell you how grateful I would be for any help or suggestions. And I know these little guys will be grateful too!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to check with rescues in the area, too. They should have a good application form and might let you use theirs. If there are any vets in the area who do early spay/neuter, it would be best to fix the kittens before placement. If not. . .well, do your best to make an ironclad contract, but once they're out of your control it's really hard to enforce :/.

Plus, I don't know if Angoras are a breed in which unregistered "native" cats can get registration and be used in breeding programs in the U.S., but you could check with breeders in the area to see if they are, and they may want a kitten for breeding or show. Unless your cats are siblings; they probably won't want to breed forward from that.

When you do place the kittens, please be up front about the cats being unregistered, and don't advertise them as purebreds. There are a ton of unethical breeders who do that kind of thing and you don't want to add to that problem.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they have papers in the middle east? Some countries do provide them, and early generations can be registered. You may have to register them over there and then transfer to a US registry. Then the kittens can be registered and go with proper paperwork.

I'm really not familiar with such breeds, so you'd have to check with CFA, TICA or the middle eastern associations as to what the rules are. I do know that native Vans and JBT's can be imported and registered so Angoras could be the same.

Do all vet work on the kittens, vaccinate twice, microchip and neuter before placement at 12 weeks.  I don't use an application form, just a conversation that forms naturally as we correspond and you'll get a feel for those who are serious. I get very few time wasters, I think being a rare breed helps with that as only those serious tend to contact me. Also neutering before placement ensures they don't end up in the hands of BYB's.

Start advertising them soon, so they've got homes lined up by 12 weeks. And take deposits. You can also google for kitten contracts in the US, many breeders have them on their website, I also do a health guarantee with mine.

Last edited:

teeneythebetta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sooo cute! I think itd also be in your best interest for the adoptees to sign a contract stating that they will not declaw.

teeneythebetta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry if I missed it, is the mom spayed?

Royal canin is not a very good food; it is overpriced for the quality. You can get healthy foods like Wellness, Blue buffalo, innova for the same price, if not cheaper, and theyre better quality too.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I also do a health guarantee with mine.
How is in your countries. Are there much insurances? Here Im thinking about Breeders insurance,  following  the kitten to the new home. Quite common in Sweden. IF there should arise any big problems, you dont need to endure  these many uncomfortable situations. Even nasty situations.  It becomes" just" an insurrance errand, nothing really between breeder  and buyer.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is in your countries. Are there much insurances? Here Im thinking about Breeders insurance,  following  the kitten to the new home. Quite common in Sweden. IF there should arise any big problems, you dont need to endure  these many uncomfortable situations. Even nasty situations.  It becomes" just" an insurrance errand, nothing really between breeder  and buyer.
Kittens leave with 6 weeks free insurance, but a health guarantee means they have been vet checked and leave us healthy.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Insurance with kittens in the UK has been cut to 4 weeks by Petplan who are the main (maybe only) providers.  But don't confuse a breeders 'health guarantee' and insurance.  The two are different.

I don't insure my cats as my vets is not only good, they are cheap compared to most other vets I know about.  I think so far (over 20 years) I've had one cat that I would have been ahead with had I insured him.  However I am lucky enough to have sufficient funds to deal with a vet emergency.  Otherwise, i would save £15 per cat each month into a separate account.