I need "please not malignant cancer" vibes for Spike!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we'll open a bottle of wine we didn't have at Thanksgiving and raise a glass to better than expected news!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless those sweet dogs... the depth of their devotion to each other is just heartbreaking. I'm so glad they have you, and I hope they'll have each other for many years to come.

Y'know... there was a terrible case here some years back: a workman got annoyed with a client's dog yipping at him and threw a wrench at the poor critter. It hit his spine and paralyzed him at mid-back. But his family rigged up a little cart that had a comfortable pad for the dog's behind to rest on, hooked up to the same kind of harness seeing-eye dogs wear... so the dog could walk with his front legs, and his back half would follow on wheels! It seemed to work pretty well.

Sending a big ol' bearhug to Spike and Sam!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy when i read the first update my heart sank for you all
But then i read that it was looking good and one almighty grin came on my face

I'll raise a glass today to Spikes health, and pray that those cancer cells go quickly

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im with the rest of them hoping that all will go well with Spike!
Im glad at least they think its something that could be fixable!!
Keep us posted!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so glad things are looking up...

I don't have a glass of wine but I do have a PBR to lift to you and yours,
sweet dreams tonight ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spike had a good day yesterday. His foot obviously feels better without the large tumor, even though it's all stitched up and wrapped in a large bandage. I have to put a baggie over it and tape it to his leg when I let him out so it doesn't get wet. He just lays there and smiles at me when I put it on him. He's already learning the term "baggie".

He and Sam were romping around the yard yesterday like nothing has happened. Spike was even doing the "drop the front end to engage play" move with Sam, then got up and tried to drag him around by holding onto his ears (with his mouth).

I woke up this morning to find Spike snuggled up next to me on the sofa. How I'm able to remain asleep when a 90 pound dog crawls up next to me is a mystery to me. I giggle at folks who complain when their cats wake them up at night. A 90 pound dog can't do it, why should a 12 pound cat do it?

We're just playing the waiting game now. His bandage comes off tomorrow and the stitches out next weekend.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like it spirits are up thats for sure. He has his bestfriend next to him to help him through this tough time, too.

Many prayers continuing for Spike

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I giggle at folks who complain when their cats wake them up at night. A 90 pound dog can't do it, why should a 12 pound cat do it?
I'm willing to bet your dog doesn't purr in your face and knead your chest when he crawls in bed with you.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am hoping and praying Spike is going to be just fine! I'm so sorry for your scare! You all are in my thoughts!!!

Monique

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I'm so glad he's feeling so much better!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Momofmany

...I giggle at folks who complain when their cats wake them up at night. A 90 pound dog can't do it, why should a 12 pound cat do it?
I don't wake up when they just snuggle up to me. Or lie on my back, butt, head, knees, or in my face. I wake up when they meow in my face, or when deaf little Flowerbelle shoves her paw in my face - or they race across the bed - I swear to God - intentionally trying to step on every limb in the bed - in a game of chase at 4:00 in the morning!

Laurie

P.S. Still sending up those vibes that he won't lose the leg and that despite the probability that it isn't cancer - and if it is, that it is EASILY and QUICKLY and COMPLETELY treatable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With Christmas this week, they didn't think that they would get the results until Friday.

We took the bandages off his foot yesterday and of course he's licking the stitiches. I have to remind him continuously that he shouldn't be doing that, and now when I catch him, he just gives me the guilty look. I just threaten him with either the "bucket" or more stitches and he just sighs and stops. It looked really bad yesterday but I think that's because it was covered in gauze wrap for 3 days. The incision looked a little better this morning. Perhaps he is cleaning out after all! I just don't want him to pull the stitches out right now. They are supposed to come out next Monday.

And no, he doesn't always crawl on my chest but sometimes he tries to. I have to admit that a 90 pound dog landing on my chest when I'm asleep will actually wake me up.