I need ideas on how to honor my deceased Mom at a Bingo game

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I know this sounds weird!

In a nutshell: Mom will have been gone 5 years June 5th, this Sunday.  She LOVED Bingo, and played every Tuesday night for decades, but not at the Bingo game where I want to do this.

Twice a month, I cook in the cafe of a non-profit, at the Bingo game. I will do so this Saturday.  I will be very busy in the kitchen, but I would like to do some tiny gesture that would honor her memory. I don't want to make a big, tacky show of it, though. I could bake and sell her favorite dessert (I always bake and sell desserts), but she didn't eat sweets. She really didn't have a favorite meal that would work for the game (sheep's brains on toast, anyone? Seriously. She was English.) We have at least 50 players, so I can't afford to buy much for them to treat them.

Can you think of some easy, cheap, but lovely ideas?  We have a mix of women and men, BTW.

Thank you.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you speak with a British accent?   Helping out at a non-profit Bingo game every week sounds like you are honoring her memory year round.  I'm sure you think of her at every Bingo event.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Can you speak with a British accent?   Helping out at a non-profit Bingo game every week sounds like you are honoring her memory year round.  I'm sure you think of her at every Bingo event.
No, I don't do accents well.  Also, I wouldn't have much of a chance to speak--as I said, I will be back in the kitchen most of the time. I was thinking more along the line of handing out something Bingo themes to the players.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You say she was English - what about having an English theme for all the food that day? Traditional English afternoon tea, for example, doesn't have to be expensive to make, and is generally very well liked. Think dainty sandwiches, scones, crumpets, English muffins, little cakes and cookies, fruit cake etc etc. Don't forget a selection of good quality teas, either. It might not have been her favourite meal, but it would still be honouring her in terms of her heritage....and, speaking as an English girl myself, it's very rare to find someone who doesn't enjoy a proper afternoon tea and see it as a treat ;)