I NEED HELP!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are capping all their claws, they might come off faster through play and they may even try to bite them off. But if you cap only the dew claws, she will probably leave it alone. Then again. Cats will be cats. I would certainly talk with the vet and perhaps give this a try before more permanent solutions.
Omg I want to give an update and I would like to thank you for giving me that option because.. the vet was actually against me opting for declawing the dew claw...he said it was unethical ...and he gave this advice same as you..so I'm going to buy that claw cover now on Amazon thank you so much again..made me realize that it's kinda sad to declaw a cat..unless it's really for medical reason

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can get those in different colors. Maybe she just has terrible near sight like I’m developing as I get older. Perhaps with a different color on that claw, she may actually see it coming and think, “I don’t want that pink or purple thing in my eye.”
So the vet said ..reasons why my cat accidentally clip the inner lining of their eyes..is because they are clean cats..and they are trying to clean their eye booger the dew claw is the culprit...so he said to buy eye wipes and make sure their eyes is clean plus that claw cap will definitely do the job

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M mingmugs Awesome!!!!!!! I really truly am so glad that you found a more ethical solution. Please keep us updated on how the solution you and the vet came up with works. I'm thinking it will all work out. YAY Ming Ming is going to be a HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY CAT!!!!! not dealing with that he will be so much more comfortable!

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M mingmugs Awesome!!!!!!! I really truly am so glad that you found a more ethical solution. Please keep us updated on how the solution you and the vet came up with works. I'm thinking it will all work out. YAY Ming Ming is going to be a HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY CAT!!!!! not dealing with that he will be so much more comfortable!
Yay thank you again!! And follow and like our instagram page if you have one @ ming.mugs 😅:flail:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So the vet said ..reasons why my cat accidentally clip the inner lining of their eyes..is because they are clean cats..and they are trying to clean their eye booger the dew claw is the culprit...so he said to buy eye wipes and make sure their eyes is clean plus that claw cap will definitely do the job
You sound like you have a great vet!
The claw caps are a great idea, and they come in a lot of cute colors. I am not currently on IG, but you could make a video about how your vet said declawing is unethical, and show how you apply the claw caps so other users might not rush to have their cats declawed.
If all else fails, here is a thread with some information on using a file to keep a cats nails short: Vet trimmed cat's nails with a grinder--how long till they come back in?
Despite being a pet groomer, I had never heard of using a dremel tool on a cat. My 15 year old female cat has rear nails that grow very quickly, so I decided to try it and she let me use this dremel tool on her rear nails (on low) after clipping. (I have not tried the front nails yet). I was really pleasantly surprised on how short and smooth the nails were and it lasted much longer than clipping. If all else fails, you could try using this on your cats declaws, if you think they would accept it.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy I have a question being that you are a pet groomer... my girl is always scratching her scratcher boards and posts so her front nails are short and sharp. She never scratches us or furniture so it is not a problem.. but her back nails do get a little long which I do trim them. Now my question is with her front nails can I leave them alone since she basically takes care of them on her own?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
iPappy iPappy I have a question being that you are a pet groomer... my girl is always scratching her scratcher boards and posts so her front nails are short and sharp. She never scratches us or furniture so it is not a problem.. but her back nails do get a little long which I do trim them. Now my question is with her front nails can I leave them alone since she basically takes care of them on her own?
If they are not causing problems, I would leave them alone unless you notice a sharp hook that gets caught on things like rugs or blankets. :)
Definitely handle her front paws when you trim the rear nails so she is used to it, just in case she would need it in the future!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy Thank you so much for the reply. And i do handle her front paws.. She sits in my lap and let's me trim her back claws.. I constantly play with all of her paws as I love her little toe beans. I literally rub in between her toes and she spreads all her toes and purrs so loud like she loves it hahaha lol when I first adopted her from the shelter I had to trim her front nails and she never minded it. And sometimes if I forget to trim her back claws and i feel them while she is sleeping (she sleeps with me) i can even do them while she sleeps too. I just didnt know if because of the sharp factor if I needed to do anything but there hasn't been any problem at all with her front nails. I just wanted another opinion. Again thank you so much

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
iPappy iPappy Thank you so much for the reply. And i do handle her front paws.. She sits in my lap and let's me trim her back claws.. I constantly play with all of her paws as I love her little toe beans. I literally rub in between her toes and she spreads all her toes and purrs so loud like she loves it hahaha lol when I first adopted her from the shelter I had to trim her front nails and she never minded it. And sometimes if I forget to trim her back claws and i feel them while she is sleeping (she sleeps with me) i can even do them while she sleeps too. I just didnt know if because of the sharp factor if I needed to do anything but there hasn't been any problem at all with her front nails. I just wanted another opinion. Again thank you so much
You are so welcome, and she sounds like such a sweety who trusts you so much!! ❤