I NEED HELP!!!!

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old cat and we have a problem with her left and right dew claw because everytime she cleans her self...sometimes she accidentally poke her inner eye lining with her dew claws....now my problem is this has happen to my cat at least 7 or more times now and I feel bad for the cat so my solution is to get both of her dew claw "declawed" so that she doesn't go through this ever again...mind you we always trim both of our cats claws every friday sometimes sooner!!!!...now again I want to be clear for all the cat owners there who might post oh you don't have soul! Or how dare you even think of declaring your cat...um no im doing this because I love my cat and I don't want her to go thru this again....the problem is my wife does not want to because she's always scared about this and scared about that...so I need you guys opinion...because tomorrow I've had enough I told my wife that I'm going to the vet to get his advice.
20230712_204426.jpg
20230712_204406.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup tomorrow we are heading to the vet as it is 9 pm here in canada already and my vet shop is close

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M mingmugs were you able to take your baby to the vet and get some advise about what measures you can take to prevent this from happening again? Please do update. Sending hugs to you and your fur baby!!

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M mingmugs were you able to take your baby to the vet and get some advise about what measures you can take to prevent this from happening again? Please do update. Sending hugs to you and your fur baby!!
Actually no I couldn't do walk in so Saturday it is! :) and my cats eye is getting better now..it usually takes 4 days for her to fully heal.. I was just kinda upset that night that's why I had to vent out here haha 😄

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M mingmugs That is completely understandable..
So I saw another thread (and of course now I can't find it...) and this persons' cat was damaging its eye from her nails as well. She was contemplating declawing her cats dewclaws. Not all of them just the 2 dewclaws. I still don't really like/agree with the declawing... but if it is medically necessary to protect the cats eye, then that's a different story..
Just figured I'd let u know what I read earlier I don't know what she finally decided to do as I can not find that thread now...

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M mingmugs That is completely understandable..
So I saw another thread (and of course now I can't find it...) and this persons' cat was damaging its eye from her nails as well. She was contemplating declawing her cats dewclaws. Not all of them just the 2 dewclaws. I still don't really like/agree with the declawing... but if it is medically necessary to protect the cats eye, then that's a different story..
Just figured I'd let u know what I read earlier I don't know what she finally decided to do as I can not find that thread now...
Yes we all love our cats and I will do anything for my little ming ming 💙 ❤

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes we all love our cats and I will do anything for my little ming ming 💙 ❤
This statement couldn't be further from the truth. Honestly they aren't just pets.. they are our furry little children and they deserve the best in life that we can offer.
But yea I figured I'd let you know about that thread incase you and the vet do decide that this would be the best course of action and it is just his dewclaws catching his eyes? Then it would definitely be a possibility to do just the dewclaws instead of both entire paws.
I hope the vet and you can come up with a solution asap as I really worry about him causing serious injury to his eye and having serious long lasting effects. Please do keep us posted on your ming ming. I'll be thinking of him and sending you and your fur baby lots of positive vibes!

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes only the left and right dew claw..and I will keep you guys updated on Saturday thanks 😊

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually no I have not, pretty cool concept .I'm not sure if it'll stay put in their claws tho..because my 2 cats are so energetic and always wrestle around 🤣

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually no I have not, pretty cool concept .I'm not sure if it'll stay put in their claws tho..because my 2 cats are so energetic and always wrestle around 🤣
It's something to try. They're cheap and you can probably find them at a local store like Petco/Petsmart, and of course, Chewy. If she's letting you clip her claws weekly, this sounds like something that might work for her even if you are replacing them weekly.

mingmugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will definitely keep this as an option. Thanks you so much!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are capping all their claws, they might come off faster through play and they may even try to bite them off. But if you cap only the dew claws, she will probably leave it alone. Then again. Cats will be cats. I would certainly talk with the vet and perhaps give this a try before more permanent solutions.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get those in different colors. Maybe she just has terrible near sight like I’m developing as I get older. Perhaps with a different color on that claw, she may actually see it coming and think, “I don’t want that pink or purple thing in my eye.”