i need help...

abnaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a little problem..i have been around cats all my life and this kinda thing i have never seen..i have a 4yr old female cat that use to be a momma now that she is fixed she cant have the babies anymore..i also have a cat that is about to have kittens with in the next few weeks..the thing is the older cat will only chase the new momma cat around the house for no reason at all..and i have 7 cats all together and the older cat (cheif) is only chasing angel (the other cat who is preg) around...now i am not sure if that is showing who is boss or what..i really dont want to split them up...any ideas how i can solve this???

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
abnaj, You might want to try the behavior forum and if you don't find anything someone will be sure to try and help... I don't think I can offer any kind of answer even though I have 8 cats myself they pretty much get along... So keep checking theres lots of Great people here with loads of information... Hope you enjoy TCS

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is jealous of the coming kittens (she knows it's happening - the other cat may smell a bit different now, being pregnant) - she doesn't want to be one herself, but may be jealous of the other cat having some - it happens a lot with animals (look at chimpanzees, who are very obvious about it).

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

She is jealous of the coming kittens (she knows it's happening - the other cat may smell a bit different now, being pregnant) - she doesn't want to be one herself, but may be jealous of the other cat having some - it happens a lot with animals (look at chimpanzees, who are very obvious about it).
I think we need a little more details before this conclusion. It also could be one is hormonal, goes in heat, irritates the other by over affectionate.......details are the key here, are there strays involved, who are the dads, indoor/outdoor, how long has the aggressor been spayed....?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know a whole lot about this stituation but we have done some horse breeding and my older mare just loves babies of any kind. At one point she tried to steal a baby lamb for her own, a mini horse, and now when our other mares have babies we have to keep the baby stealer away.

I'm guessing cats can be the same way. If that is so you will need to seperate her from the real mom, at least for the first week or so. That way the babies and mommy have time to bond and the real mom will fight for her babies and will make sure her babies don't get stollen. Animals are just like people, they can develope milk if they start carring for a baby that isn't theirs. It's weird, but that's life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
there is no dad..angel snuck out one afternoon and came back the next day...cheif is fixed..she been fixed for years...angel doesnt belong to cheif..i know cheif wont hurt the kittens once they are born cuz we have found a stray litter a few months ago and cheif took care of the new born babies like they were hers...we no longer have them...i just dont want to have to split them up cuz it isnt fair to the one that is being alone while the other is able to roam...i know the chasing can cause stress for angel..she is a first time mom..all of my cats are indoor..they never get out unless they find a way to sneak out of the house..to many dangers around the home to let them outside

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it's a question of being "fair". The new mom needs to be kept quiet with her babies in a place where she will feel safe. If she doesn't feel safe she will be moving her babies and trying to find safe hiding places for them often. I personally would keep her and the babies in a room that the other cat will not be allowed to go into. The new mom doesn't need the added stress of dealing with this other cat. That IMO is the fairest thing to do (and the safest).

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it could be a few things, I would think the biggest issue being tom cats around outside. Stray cats prowling around outside your home often causes distress with the indoor cats, especially if they aren't spayed, it's like a beacon "calling all tom cats.......calling all tom cats......."
I'm not sure how it works, but Feliway is highly praised, someone here could tell you more about it. Does she actually search her out to chase her? How far along is Angel? Maybe you can set her up a cubby hole, birthing place where she can relax and Chief won't or can't get to........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am not sure how far along angel is...i think she is about a month n half...angel snuck outside one day we didnt know until the next day she was gone...cheif mostly will chase angel off the bed or when she gets to close...i will yell at cheif telling her to stop and she does..angel hides under the bed most of the time and doesnt really like boxes...i may have to buy one of those huge dog cages so that way she can be safe and still have room to move around..like i said before cheif wont hurt the kittens..she loves baby kittens it brings the momma side out in her..angel is real picky about who she wants to pet her or love on her..she will not go to my wife only to me..she has a hard time trusting anyone other then me thats why i dont want to put her in a room by herself cuz i dont want to lose her trust..if i lose it then i cant help her if she is having problems when she is giving birth to the babies...i dont have any male cats in my house..all of them are females