I need help with my animals being happy together

gunnarthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im having trouble with 2 of my 3 dogs accepting our new kitten. Our biggest dog, diesel(lab/shepard mix), loves him. He licks him, lays around with him and sometime our kitten, gunnar, even sleeps on his head. But our other 2 are still not very happy with him. Molly, our husky/lab mix, is very affectionate but very spoiled. She wants no part of gunnar. If he comes near her or lays down beside her she gets up and moves. Turbo(a mix if Molly and diesel because my husband was told he had a month to get them fixed and 2 days later he found them tied.lol) is scared to death of him, mind you he is 70 lbs., and if gunnar comes near him he tucks his tail, lowers his head and quickly creeps away. Is there anything we can do? Will it always be like this? And will it get worse as gunnar grows? Help please :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
WE have an article on introducing cats to dogs here but I don't know that it really applies to your situation as the dogs either love, ignore or are scared of the cat, so they are unlikely to hurt him at all.. they just need to get to know what a cat is!

It actually doesn't sound too bad to me.  They are likely to sort themselves out in time.  But someone with more experience should be able to help you more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gunnarthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Our pets are part of the family and we just want everyone to be happy. Sounds like its just going to take time.

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi your dogs seem really good i agree just wait it out they will slowly get use to the cats.  They are just scared.