I need advice on treating ringworm

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Last Thursday I got anew cat. She is a wonderful 2 year old girl by the name of Rosie. She is so great, the Walmart Greeter of cats. I took her to her first vet apt today and she has ringworm. Thankfully she has been in my 'cat room' and never wandered the house and has not met my other cats.I geuss she will be in there for another 6 to 8 weeks.

The vet gave me an oral medicine that she needs to take once a day for 7 days then, 7 days off, 7 days on etc. for three rounds. I have a topical Miconazol to put on her twice a day and I have to bathe her once a week for at least 6 weeks.

I just got to wondering, do I need to change my clothing every time I spend time with her?Yikes, that would be darn near impossible. Also, if any of you have gone through this do I need to wash bedding from her room every day? Wouldn't you know it, I put her in my guest room, a plush pillow top mattress , expensive bedding etc. I know I have to toss out the new cat tree but, can I safely leave it in there while she is being treated?

She is a great cat, I am glad I have her but this treatment sounds like it is a pain in the butt.I am so , so glad to own a carpet cleaning company at least that won't cost anything when this is done. Lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As I am reading about this I am very concerned that bathing her tec. and putting her back in that bedroom isn't ideal as even though I own a carpet cleaning company I certainly cannot remove all furniture and have the carpet cleaned every day. Yikes, now I am really freaking out I do not have a bathroom she can stay in for weeks.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would it be possible to cover the carpet with some old sheets? Try to tuck them in under the baseboards so they stay (like when painting and you want to protect the floor) maybe a couple layers would protect your carpet. I'm not speaking from experience with ringworm though, just a suggestion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a good suggestion but I am sure my husband is not going to take apart the moldings.I would still have to take up the sheets everyday and wash them. Ugh, I live in CA where because of the drought we have some heavy duty water restrictions.I am doing do much washing and will have to do so for at least 6 weeks, I fear the substantial penalities from the water district. Oh well, it is what it is. I found a lot of good info on TCS . Yesterday we cleaned the carpets, the mattress all bedding, the walls ,ceilings etc. She had to be in the bathroom while we did that so then I had to sterilize the bathroom.On the up side, she took the bath very well. She was cared but did not rip me up . I feel so bad that I had to throw away her new cat tree. I got another one for her this morning that is all wood with some cushions attached by Velcro that will be easy to take off and wash. I just hope this can be contained without reaching my other cats and the rest of the house. I noticed that I have one spot on my face so I will have to be very careful I appreciate your response.