I Need Advice Asap

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I came home from the grocery store and my two cats who have lived together for 5 years, two females both hissing and attacking eachother. There was pee covering the kitchen floor. I have zero idea what sparked this but one won't stop attacking the other. The other one hisses in defence and seems fine since I separated them. The one that keeps attacking wont stop howling and trying to attack the other. I dont know what to do or how to get this to stop. I cleaned the floor up and it helped but I think because the other smells like pee still thats whats making her keep attacking? I dont know. Please help

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you put a door between them until morning or for a day? Give them both a chance to calm down and relax. Also get an enzyme cleaner to make sure the pee is well cleaned. Even though you can't smell it, doesn't mean your cats can't.

Hopefully, it was a one off occurrence. Something scared one of them and she lashed out at the other. After a few hours have passed let them near each other again and see how it goes. If you have any windows they can see out of, maybe something scared them?

If it happen again, I'd probably do a vet visit and ask the vet to check for hyperthyroidism as well just a general physical. They are young for it but it can cause personality changes and aggressiveness. The other option would be setting up a camera outside to see if something is happening that they can see and triggering the event.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I came home with a ton of groceries in my hands and Kitty (who is being attacked) hates the sounds of bags so I think it scared her, even though she has never reacted like this before. Bowser, the one who keeps attacking doesnt like closed doors and will keep trying to rip up the carpet so im trying to figure out a way to separate them overnight. A similar thing happened a while back when kitty had to go to the vet and was there overnight. she came home not smelling like herself and bowser reacted like how she is now but this is worse. Im shaking because I've never seen them fight like this.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yikes. Can you put kitty in a carrier? Get out of Bowser's range but not really a closed door?

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they have enzyme cleaners at petstores? I cleaned the kitchen with a bleach bathroom spray and it seemed to make Bowser be okay with being in the kitchen.

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes. Can you put kitty in a carrier? Get out of Bowser's range but not really a closed door?
I'm afraid Bowser will just keep attacking the carrier with kitty in it. Bowser is just sitting on the bathroom floor by the door sniffing and smelling for Kitty. Im really shaken up by seeing them fight like that so I don't want to risk more attacking. It was hard to pull Bowser off of her ☹

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, set each of them in their own room with a litter box, water, and some super yummy food/treats. Spend some time with each, staying calm and relaxed. They will pick up on your vibes, so try to just sit with them quietly. It might take some time and patience, but they'll settle back down eventually.

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty is not being aggressive at all. Shes just being definsive because Bowser is in attack mode.

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can, set each of them in their own room with a litter box, water, and some super yummy food/treats. Spend some time with each, staying calm and relaxed. They will pick up on your vibes, so try to just sit with them quietly. It might take some time and patience, but they'll settle back down eventually.
That's what I'm trying to do right now. Im trying to calm down, that sent me into a panic attack and I sound like a total baby but that really freaked me out and I keep crying. Im trying to calm down so they dont pick up on me being panicked. Bowser is literally like my anxiety savior and always licks and kisses me when I cry and shes doing that, she knows I'm upset.

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, Bowser, the current attacker isnt fixed. Could that be a reason why shes being so aggressive? Kitty is fixed and never freaks out and is super chill

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so whatever you need to do to get into a calmer headspace - fix some hot chocolate, hum a slow song, slow deep breathing exercises - whatever it is, do that for yourself first. Then you will be better able to project that calm to your furbabies.
Right now they are in a circular feedback and you need to break it by reassuring the one that there is no reason to be on the attack, and the other that there is no reason to be defensive (because you luvs them both).

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If Bowser is going into heat, it's possible that she may be more edgy due to hormones, but knowing that doesn't necessarily resolve the current situation. Hormones will run wild regardless, nothing to do about that (except get to the vet).

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so whatever you need to do to get into a calmer headspace - fix some hot chocolate, hum a slow song, slow deep breathing exercises - whatever it is, do that for yourself first. Then you will be better able to project that calm to your furbabies.
Right now they are in a circular feedback and you need to break it by reassuring the one that there is no reason to be on the attack, and the other that there is no reason to be defensive (because you luvs them both).
Good idea. I just took a hot shower to calm myself down get try to meditate some of my bad/anxious energy down the drain. My fiance is extremely calm and has been hanging out with kitty who is on defense since they have a strong bond while my strong bond is with miss aggresive. They seem to be doing okay now that they are separated but Bowser still growls at the door even though kitty is in a different room with her door shut also

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please tell us how it goes? Maybe you can keep one in the bathroom half the day, put the bathroom cat in a crate, take bathroom cat out, put the non-bathroom cat in the bathroom (with food litter bed toys.) Then when second cat is secure release the original bathroom cat from the crate. That way each cat is sharing the space, just not together. (Sight swapping but explained in detail so there are no misunderstandings :) )

If they were mine I would do that ^ and feed them yummy wet food as close to both sides of the door you can get them to approach the door & calmly eat. You can slowly move the plate closer with time. (An inch closer every day or three is still progress:dancingblackcat: )

After you have spayed her (and given her a week or so to heal) I would try a supervised visits if you are doing the above ^^^

Can you use cloth bags to help eliminate her freaking out in the future? Any idea why she is afraid of that? I would also give her a cat cave near the door if you can so she has a hiding spot when those scary bags enter the home. Over time (after successful re-introductions and a spay) I would try entering the home with a bag or two every day, putting the bags down, giving her a treat. In time she can learn to hopefully be less afraid. Also more cat trees/shelves should help give them more space/territory. I know living in an apartment with 2 cats can seem like no one has space of their own.

Please tell us how it goes?

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please tell us how it goes? Maybe you can keep one in the bathroom half the day, put the bathroom cat in a crate, take bathroom cat out, put the non-bathroom cat in the bathroom (with food litter bed toys.) Then when second cat is secure release the original bathroom cat from the crate. That way each cat is sharing the space, just not together. (Sight swapping but explained in detail so there are no misunderstandings :) )

If they were mine I would do that ^ and feed them yummy wet food as close to both sides of the door you can get them to approach the door & calmly eat. You can slowly move the plate closer with time. (An inch closer every day or three is still progress:dancingblackcat: )

After you have spayed her (and given her a week or so to heal) I would try a supervised visits if you are doing the above ^^^

Can you use cloth bags to help eliminate her freaking out in the future? Any idea why she is afraid of that? I would also give her a cat cave near the door if you can so she has a hiding spot when those scary bags enter the home. Over time (after successful re-introductions and a spay) I would try entering the home with a bag or two every day, putting the bags down, giving her a treat. In time she can learn to hopefully be less afraid. Also more cat trees/shelves should help give them more space/territory. I know living in an apartment with 2 cats can seem like no one has space of their own.

Please tell us how it goes?
She LOVES climbing in plastic bags, she just doesnt like the noise if its not from her making it. I think what happened was that she didnt see ME bringing the bags in, its raining so I was doing it quickly and she must have just gotten spooked because im normally not in a hurry when im doing it. I'll try what you said above though. I have a whole set up in the spare bedroom for Kitty to relax in because thats her favorite place to be. i have little surprise treats set up for her all around the room to get her up and moving because i dont think she understands why bowser is doing this after kitty was just so scared. I can tell she is just very uncomfortable right now.

Should I get Bowser spayed right away then? Im sure the clinic wont have anything open super soon... So I'm not sure if I should wait until they get used to eachother again because kitty is the chill one and probably wont even care that bowser smells different when she comes home, its bowser thats the one thats a little crazy (clearly) lol

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright, little update on my little nuggets. They have been separated since that happened and we have been "sight swapping" like suggested and it seems to be working out. I also got a multicat house pheromone diffuser that was suggested to me by a vet that I called as well as a pheromone spray to put on their bedding and lounging spots. Kitty still seems a little nervous when she hears Bowser meow from the other room so I think we will wait a bit longer before we try to reintroduce them. But Bowser does keep going to the other side of the closed door between them and just lays there though. She roams around the house looking for Kitty, not in a 'where is she im going to attack' way like before, but it seems like she misses her. Im just nervous to scare Kitty more if we try to reintroduce them and it goes bad.
I do plan on calling the clinic tomorrow to see if I can get Bowser spayed soon, I'm just unsure if we should wait until after we reintroduce them or if we should try to do it before we reintroduce them. Im not sure what would be the best option to stress them both out less.

KSV

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only thing I could add is play with the aggressor with a feather wand to get the aggression out and not directed at the other cat. Once he is tired, he might just not even think of hunting anybody else.

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only thing I could add is play with the aggressor with a feather wand to get the aggression out and not directed at the other cat. Once he is tired, he might just not even think of hunting anybody else.
Well i just got the aggressor spayed today so shes currently in a cone trying to make me feel bad so i take it off, so no playing with her for a little. Anyone have advice on how long to keep her in a cone for? She immediately started licking when we got home, that's why shes wearing it. I just don't have an emergency vet close by if she messes with the dissolvable stitches and they come open or something.

KSV

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well i just got the aggressor spayed today so shes currently in a cone trying to make me feel bad so i take it off, so no playing with her for a little. Anyone have advice on how long to keep her in a cone for? She immediately started licking when we got home, that's why shes wearing it. I just don't have an emergency vet close by if she messes with the dissolvable stitches and they come open or something.
It’s really hard to follow up on medical things like this as you feel bad having the cone on. But it’s like with kids, you got to be strict for their own good. We also tend to project our own feelings on animals. I would imagine she has pain medications and will feel so much better soon not having all this hormones. Post a picture of your baby for us please!

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Bowser seems to be feeling pretty normal even after having surgery yesterday. We decided to see what she does without the cone on and she stopped being aggressive and didnt lick her stitches once so we are going without the cone unless she starts licking the stitches.

Now, as for the problems between the two cats. they were fine on the car ride home together but we made sure they never really saw eachother. Kitty was in the front seat and I was in the back with Bowser. I knoe they can smell eachother so I feel like that's some sort of progress. I noticed today after doing some sight swapping that Bowser seems to miss kitty even though she was aggressive towards her that night. Bowser would not leave the room where we keep Kitty, she slept in the spot kitty has always slept in, smelled around her litter box and never growled or howled once. She did however, hear kitty on the other side of the closed door after we swapped them and she immediately growled at the door and got worked up. So she is fine with kittys smell but as soon as she hears her its over... Any suggestions on what to do from this point? A reintroduction will be needed but only after bowser is healed up, I'm thinking maybe have them both in carriers again so prevent a fight?