I need a new bed

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woo hoo!!! Isn't it cool watching it expand? Give it 2-3 days to reach "full perfection!"

ENJOY!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I strongly encourage you to go to overstock.com and choose a memory foam mattress. All of our beds have them and they are wonderful. Shipping is $2.95 or free, depending on specials, and it gets brought right to your door. You can use your existing box springs as well!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo comfy! I've had mine for 2 years and it's as good as new. When I was in the hospital, I actually FANTASIZED about my bed at home.
I bought my memory foam mattress from Overstock.com in 2008. I love it! I can't believe how well it's held up. There's no dents or depressions in it...it still looks and feels like new. I was miserable when I had to sleep in hotels over the last couple of years. I bought one for my parents for Christmas. They've had it for about 4 months (it came early) and they love it too. I just wish I had done it sooner...

FWIW, neither mine, nor the one I got for my parents, had any smell at all to them. Maybe we were just lucky.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read through all this, and memory foam sounds nice! BF has been wanting to get a new mattress for a while now, he isn't sleeping to well these days, or waking up with back issues... I guess it's about 9.5 years old, I don't know what brand or where he got it from though. But yeah, it's saggy. I will mention Overstock.com to BF to look for mattresses!!

zohdee- I hope you enjoy your new bed when it's fully poofed up!!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If these memory foam mattresses are as great as you all make them sound, I'm afraid I'd get one and then never want to leave the bed! Getting up is hard enough as it is.

Zohdee, congratulations on your purchase; I hope you love it!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so glad I decided to open this thread.

A cruise ship I was on a few years ago had memory foam on the beds. It was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I've been looking at the Tempurpedic beds since then, but they're horribly expensive and require a special base (also expensive). I wasn't aware that there were other memory foam mattresses out there. I'll have to check into the ones at overstock. It sounds like it could be the perfect solution.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some mattresses are designed to go with a specific box spring. Also, many bed manufactures will void the mattress warranty if it is not used in conjunction with the box spring that it was meant to accompany it. I know that is the case with my bed. If I didn't use the box spring that was designed for the mattress, I would not have a mattress warranty.

But I know what you mean by a saggy bed! I just bought my mattress and box spring in November 2009, and it's sagging in the middle already. It has a 4" pillow top and I was told that it would "indent", but I had no idea as to the degree of that indentation. When I'm in bed I feel like I'm sleeping in a gully. It's difficult to roll over because I'm rolling up a hill each time. It was my first conventional bed purchase, and I consider it an expensive learning experience. I will be buying a new bed later this year again, and I know what to look for and what to avoid now.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you find one you like and can afford. I would be sure it comes encased in plastic. I am bed bug paranoid.

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I are also in the market for a new bed. We were thinking about a memory foam mattress. We bought a memory foam topper and I woke up with back pain after the first night sleeping on it. I tried sleeping on it for a few more nights but my back pain just got worse. We removed it and my back started feeling better. After a week my back was 100% better, so we tried the topper again, and sure enough my back pain returned. My husband loved the topper, and I feel bad that it bothered my back so much.

So, now we aren't sure if a memory foam will work for me. Our current mattress is about 5 years old and sagging in the middle. It doesn't bother my back at all, but it is uncomfortable to my husband.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I slept very well last night, but getting up was another matter.

When I went to bed last night, my back sounded like popcorn popping. I have been sleeping on a saggy mattress for awhile now. I didn't have the stabbing pains I would get on my traditional mattress but getting out of bed was hard. It was more of a muscle pain. I attribute that to how my spine is adjusting to a more stable bed.

My cats love it too!!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Washu

My husband and I are also in the market for a new bed. We were thinking about a memory foam mattress. We bought a memory foam topper and I woke up with back pain after the first night sleeping on it. I tried sleeping on it for a few more nights but my back pain just got worse. We removed it and my back started feeling better. After a week my back was 100% better, so we tried the topper again, and sure enough my back pain returned. My husband loved the topper, and I feel bad that it bothered my back so much.

So, now we aren't sure if a memory foam will work for me. Our current mattress is about 5 years old and sagging in the middle. It doesn't bother my back at all, but it is uncomfortable to my husband.
I tried one of the foam toppers once and it was horrible. I hurt all over by the time I got up. It definitely wasn't like sleeping on the memory foam mattress I had on the cruise ship. I think the topper was too thin and too soft. Since it wasn't actually attached to the mattress the edges lifted up when I laid in the middle and kind of trapped me in a furrow. Fortunately, I was able to return it to the store and get my money back.

I don't know if going to a store where you can try the memory foam mattresses would help. I don't think they let you spend the whole night there.