I need a little help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amber0318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may be about to deliver another. Move them out from under her.
She's sleeping again. I think she's done having kits. She just wakes up and goes to meowing then lays on them. And she doesn't like it when the healthy kit nurses. She freaks out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten's fur will fill in over time. The kitten may be a little premature. The kitten will die if not fed! You cannot wait.

Please give the kitten a few drops of honey water, and get it to the vet, or at least immediately get it on formula.

What's the plan?

amber0318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten's fur will fill in over time. The kitten may be a little premature. The kitten will die if not fed! You cannot wait.

Please give the kitten a few drops of honey water, and get it to the vet, or at least immediately get it on formula.

What's the plan?
I'll give it honey water until we can get it to the vet. Is there any specific ratio of water to honey? I'm pretty sure I have a little bit of honey around.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just a teaspoon of honey to a quarter cup of water. How quickly can you get to the vet?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'll give it honey water until we can get it to the vet. Is there any specific ratio of water to honey? I'm pretty sure I have a little bit of honey around.
make it sweet-  1,5 soup spoon in a litre water, but you wont use that much...  so easy flowing but you shall feel it as sweet., alike sweet tea-taste.   :)

amber0318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a teaspoon of honey to a quarter cup of water. How quickly can you get to the vet?
It may be a few hours. I think they open at 9 and it's currently 7:33

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
amber0318 amber0318

You can also buy a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula at Walmart for $10. The kitten cannot live on honey water. That's just for quick energy.

Do you have a can of evaporated milk? An egg? Mayonnaise? You can make a homemade formula if so.

Most vets open earlier than 9. Please find out.

Last edited:

amber0318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave it some honey water and it's like it just woke up. I got it to latch onto a nip when I realized it was trying to suck on my finger. Idk how long it will be able to stay attached though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's great! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

How is the baby doing now? It would probably still benefit from supplementing with formula.

amber0318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It lost its grip but I managed to get it to latch on again. I plan on taking it to the vet ASAP. She'll know what to do for sure

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you'll be shown how to supplement. Please update after the vet visit.

amber0318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got home. Vet told us they were born 4 or 5 days early. Gave me a bottle and showed me how to feed it. Told me to keep it in a sock so it doesn't get cold in case Chloe rejects it. Also told me it is a HE. Went to Walmart and picked up goat milk. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If baby will not take the bottle, you'll need to use a syringe. Kittens are fed tummy down, head up, as they would feed from mom. Never on the back because they can aspirate formula into their lungs. This is usually fatal.

After each feeding you should put the kitten with mom to let her stimulate it to go potty and clean it. If mom won't do it you'll need to.

Did the vet tell you how much or how often to feed? How much does the kitten weigh?

amber0318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If baby will not take the bottle, you'll need to use a syringe. Kittens are fed tummy down, head up, as they would feed from mom. Never on the back because they can aspirate formula into their lungs. This is usually fatal.

After each feeding you should put the kitten with mom to let her stimulate it to go potty and clean it. If mom won't do it you'll need to.

Did the vet tell you how much or how often to feed? How much does the kitten weigh?
She said to feed him every hour and showed me how to stimulate him. She did that for both of them while we were there. She didn't weigh them though

amber0318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little dude has gotten stronger. He moves around more and he's making noise. He still falls over some but not as much. I think he's gonna be ok. It's just gonna take a while.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good he's getting stronger! Has he been eating well at the feedings?

Last edited:

amber0318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little one didn't make it. He just wasn't strong enough. I had named him Sock because we kept him in a sock to warm him up. I put him in his sock and we buried him beside his other two siblings. We still have one kitten left. He's stronger and nurses on his own so he should be ok. Just letting you guys know. I'm heartbroken over this. I may not respond to anything for a while.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, so sorry to hear this. RIP little one. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Glad the other little fellow is doing well!