I must be crazy

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is reacting to noise, she sounds fine. There are two kinds of white cats - dominant white and oriental white. Dominant white with blue eyes sometimes (I think 50% ish but I could be wrong) are deaf. It has to do with the development of the neural crest in the brain and melanin (the pigment that makes cats colored.) Oriental white with blue eyes is totally different. It's like a white siamese. I hope I didn't mess up that explanation, I've had 2 odd-eyed white cats, so I know some, but not lots, about blue eyed whites.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he isn't. But if he is, that might explain why he wandered away from his Momma...he couldn't hear her calling!

Don't worry too much until the vet checks him out for you. He is so cute, and so long as you keep him as an inside only cat, he will be able to stay safe whether or not he is deaf. Either way, he is an adorable little kitty, as is the new calico girl.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not that bad, she certainly wouldn't know any different.
There are a couple people here with deaf blue eyed whites.

If you find out she is deaf, just post a topic about it in Health and Nutrition and I'm sure they'll answer any concerns you may have and share experience.

newlyblondechic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just wanted to say how cute your kitties are! I have a new little kitten too that looks almost identical to Snowball only all gray with blue eyes. They are just darling!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, I just want to pinch Snowball's chubby wittle baby cheekies and smooch her nose, and give her waspberries on her tummy...I think she's precious!!!!!! I don't know about the whole deaf thing. If you use her name a lot, especially if you use her name at meal times, she may begin to respond to it if she has her hearing. Another test would be during playtime...scratch the floor with your finger while her back is turned to you...if she can hear it, it will entice her to pounce and get frisky!

If she's deaf, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Deaf cats rely on their site, taste, and smell for safety, and they do quite well with their remaining senses. She'll be fine either way...hey, at least she won't run when you turn the vacuum on like most cats!

Oh, and then there's Patches!!!! She's lovely too...beautiful calico markings. She looks very soft. I would absolutely 100% keep her away from Snowball until she has a clean bill of health from your vet...you never know if she has internal parasites (most young kittens do, actually), or something contagious that will make Snowball sick. Once you know she's okay (and she very well could be lapping up water when you're not watching her), I would put her with Snowball immediately, as at this young age, introductions are hardly necessary. The swatting is a form of play, so don't worry...just keep their front paws trimmed up. Young kittens tend to get along from the get go, and become playmates within minutes of meeting.

Isn't that neat how God dropped off another little furbaby to you? He saw how wonderful you were with Snowball, and decided to provide you with another gift!
Good luck at her first appointment!