I murdered my hair...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you fix it? It looks much better... BTW no offense to anyone, stay away from pantene pro-v (if you can)... It is a highly waxed based formulation and actually clogs hair follicles (not just pantene, many styling aids of all manufactures do this)... Most on the market and some professional shampoos dont actually cleanse the scalp... Rather it mushes up the buildup on our scalps and it re-hardens (I wont get too technical but I have seen the effects of my own scalp through a microscope at a Nioxin class I was trained in and I have studied this)... Pantene may seem that is doing wonders... Making your hair soft and shiny... that is because it is coating the hair shaft with its wax base (definitely avoid using such products before a color service, so hair will take evenly to the color... Really conditioner should not be used before a color service regardless)... Just a few tips for my fellow friends. Shampoo is not always our friend (some are high on the ph scale and some wax based, etc)....

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

The last time I fried my hair I had to shave it.

A girl who is a natural dark brown should never try to go white blond. It just doesn't work out.
I never claimed that it was advice most people would want to hear!

Good advice, nonetheless. Like that second mirror in "the neverendingstory".

I think it was the second mirror, anyway.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Oh right...
Here is a picture of it fixed!

The color way mellowed out. A little lighter than I would have wanted but hey!
See? Adorable.

(E)TA:
Even with a freakin' broken gorram wrist, I still and twenty six seconds too fast.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Oh right...
Here is a picture of it fixed!

The color way mellowed out. A little lighter than I would have wanted but hey!
It looks good, Julie, not the least bit "unnatural"!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't yet read all the responses so hope I'm not repeating anything.

Dang, you are beautiful! Don't think any hair color can detract from that.

I rarely dye my hair because I know it would fry. My sis just tried to go back to her natural red (impossible with dye) from years of having it dyed black. It looks a whole lot like your's but a bit lighter.

Just give it time. Zissou loves you no matter what color your hair is

edit: just saw the improved look - very nice!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was under the impression that if dark hair is bleached, it turns orange before turning blonde? So if it is orange it just needs a little more blonding done to it to get rid of the orange tones? Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I was always told....

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you keep bleaching hair, such as a double process like you suggested... Your hair is going to break off and be very damaged.... Bleaching hair over twice in any short time frame is NOT recommended. Bleach has to cut through every underlying pigment beneath the present color. Considering red was one of her underlying pigments, hence how we got orange. Double bleaching hair is going to throw hair's porosity out of wack, meaning when she goes to dye her hair a natural state, the color will grab darker in the areas where the hair is more porous. There will not be an even result. In cases such as this protein treatments, keratin treatments, and deep conditioning treatments are highly required for a period of time before attempting bleaching a second time around... Double processing with bleach immediatley after one service is like playing with fire!!!!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't even tell you how many times my hair has been day glo orange!!!

I used to dye my hair jet black and then get bored really fast and want to go back to another color..........it was torture on my hair.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I meant to say is that it takes longer for dark hair to go blonde when bleaching, and it often goes through an orange stage before it gets to a more light color...and if you bleach it and it's still orange, you need to use a blonde toner product (I forgot what it was called before, it's called toner not blonding.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really interesting about the Pantene, Trixie. I've used it for years now. I have wanted to switch for awhile now anyway, maybe it'll be time next time I need shampoo.

Thank you all for sympathizing and telling me I look okay regardless of my ridiculous hair. Now I look exactly like the Lady Of Shallot painting above my couch.

And I'm having such a bad day. My ex has a new girlfriend and I can't stop thinking that someone should warn her about him.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the new hair - it looks beautiful!

Please stay away from the ex's new girl.....that is just asking for trouble even if all you want to do is warn her. Unfortunately people have to learn a few things for themselves!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if you warn her Im sure she wouldnt listen, she would probably take your offering as a sum of jealousy or possesiveness (you not wanting your ex to be with anyone else... of course this isnt true, but usually ends up being the impression newbies take)... I did this once, and I just ended up coming off as the crazy person, when I was really just trying to give her a heads up (lol I was a little psycho and passionate about it... and now I am back with the guy... Hmmm? Guess it more or less summed up to me not wanting him with anyone else, which I am sure is not the case with you) Back to hair....

When hair is at such an extreme orange state you can use a toner, but it is going to have to be something a little darker than the outcome itself. Im sorry if I misunderstood but you did say that if the bleach doesnt lift enough than more blonding is required, and since color cannot remove color that would require lifting with bleach again, or using a highlift color (that is just about as strong as bleach)... Instead of toning I would use a filler (to avoid a greenish cast and to help with porosity variance) and then go as many shades darker as desired. If you want to go lighter than the orange state, a toner will not give you that result... it will only control the brassiness (toners can be a tricky situation as well). When in doubt see a professional!!!

I've been looking for the ingredients on Pantene products and funny enough I am having issues finding a list of ingredients (hmmmm?) If I find it I will post a link!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pantene info sorry for the hijack in advanced.

I came across this interesting site of scientists saying that all hairstylists are misleading our clients by saying Pantene is wax based and junky... They claimed on this site that it is the best out there, bashing stylists for not having a concept for science... Its just too bad that these scientists are unaware that to get your license you have to take bacteriology, physiology and anatomy, chemistry, biology, etc... There is actually alot of science courses required to qualify for your license.

Ok stating the above ...there is nothing that states it is wax based in the ingredients (that I have found comparing two differet formulations) but.... there is silcone in one of the top ingredients and it is also produced with ammonium laureth sulfate (which is higher on the pH and stripping... many shampoos are this way... since ammonium laureth sulfate as well as sodium laureth sulfate are usually the second ingredient after water and it is a cleansing agent)... This tends to tear away at the vibrancy of our hair color. There is however a new shampoo that is laureyl sulfate free... but costs big money.

Here is the MSDS links : (Only chose a few there are so many)

http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/en_UK...ry_Damaged.pdf
http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/en_UK...ry_Damaged.pdf
http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/en_UK...ek_Shampoo.pdf
http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/en_UK...onditioner.pdf

Some Ingredients that cause buildup aka waxy feel: But are used widely through all of the cosmetic industry (not that all cosmetics are great for us as is...). There are alot of emollient ingredients in Pantene Pro-V... Emollient can cause buildup since it is not a cleansing agent but a moisture agent... This isnt only an issue with Pantene Pro-V of course, it is an issue with many shampoo lines (even professional)... It is a never ending battle.

Here are two links for the emollients, that are commonly used with Pro-V (and in many other manufacture lines). I will add more if I continue to research (which will take forever since there are so many different formulations in that line, with different ingredients...) It wont kill you, I just think there are better options out there

http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/en_UK...hicone_en.html
http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/en_UK...thenol_en.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, we broke up after he punched me in the ear... among other things. I don't just mean warn her about whatever bad stuff he did, I mean warn her that she is dating a controlling, violent, abusive freak show who hides it very well at first... But I'm not going to, for the reason you said. It is just hard to know what's coming and that I can't do a damn thing for her.

Thanks for all the info about shampoo and hair! Part of me just wants to never use anything on my hair again
but that would start to smell!

The color is pretty okay now, I think I am just gonna live with it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard (and its probably true) that you should change shampoos/conditioners every so often as your hair can change at times.

I'm happy with the red color I picked out - its perfect for me. I've even had a stranger come up and ask me "where are your freckles?" - he thought I was a natural redhead. DH and my son were cracking up and I told him "thank you for the compliment and I covered up my freckles".....

When a child, my mom said I had strawberry blonde - there was reddish color in the right sunlight