I made my classmates cry...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you!
Now for a slight hijack

Puppy and kitten mills are at the forefront and get the most attention, but those bunnies, ferrets, birds and rodents at most chain petstores are also from mills.
Petsmart is a big offender, teaming up with Kaytee preferred birds which is a huge brokerage that works with bird mills across the country.

These animals all can also be found at reputable breeders all over the US.

So please, don't forget our smaller furry and feathered friends suffering the same conditions.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petsmart and Petco (and many other petstores) have other problems aside from where they get their animals, their care for them generally awful!
No one cares if a bunch of baby geckos are crammed into a small, poorly heated, dirty display aquarium. Or if a bird has overgrown claws and beak. There's been many times I've seen rodents in dirty cages and no water, or even dead cagemates in with them. Sadly these animals are seen as disposible pets.

How can they advocate adoption and caring about animals when they do this?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happens to those poor puppies that aren't adopted? Are they returned to the "mill" and abused or killed?

Puppy mill or not, those poor puppies didn't ask to be born into a cold cruel world and homeless. They still deserve to find a home regardless of where they come from.

IMHO it would be more beneficial to turn the puppy mill into the Humane Society so that they can be shut down instead of depriving a poor helpless pup of a loving home.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

What happens to those poor puppies that aren't adopted? Are they returned to the "mill" and abused or killed?

Puppy mill or not, those poor puppies didn't ask to be born into a cold cruel world and homeless. They still deserve to find a home regardless of where they come from.

IMHO it would be more beneficial to turn the puppy mill into the Humane Society so that they can be shut down instead of depriving a poor helpless pup of a loving home.
While I agree in spirit, the sad truth is they are nothing but store inventory, as long as people buy these animals, there will be a market, and there will always be another to fill the spot, which means more dogs suffer.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good Job!
The more people that are educated in what goes on hopefully the less it will happen.
I have become a anti-declaw advocate.