I made my cat's scab worse?

Thales

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I found a small scab a week ago behind his ear, and I though that he probably scratched himself a bit too much (he had ringworm a few months ago so I also checked with my UV light, he was clear). He scratched at it a few days later so the hair loss was a little more noticeable, again I just let it be until today when I decided to try and clean the scab. But it looks like I made it worse... There was some hair stuck in dried blood that came off, and he definitely hurt himself again because I noticed a new blood spot, and now his hair loss is bigger... (Since I'm paranoid about ringworm I checked with the light again but I saw nothing.)
Should I let it be or try to clean again? Looks like it's ichy for him. First picture is today before the new blood spot, second pic is a few minutes ago (don't pay attention to the nail polish, lol).

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! If this scab looks anything like the one(s) he had when he had ringworm, you can't rule that out. And, not all ringworm shows up with a UV lamp either.

You can try seeing if it is just a wound, and not ringworm with chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with cotton balls or a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thales

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think his ringworm had more crust, and if it was it would probably be the same stain (he's indoor) it would be weird if it somehow didn't glow when he previously did on my UV lamp 🤔 Still I will monitor it just in case, for now I only found this spot. Also the hair/scab looked ok until I tried to clean it, so it may have been my fault. He scratch at it again between my first post and now 🙁

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, I agree - if it showed up under a UV lamp before, it would again because it would likely be the same strain. I only suggested the chamomile tea because of what it can do to help heal and alleviate itchiness. If it is itchy, he is probably going to scratch at it more - but, hopefully not!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ring worm would defenatly be affecting you as well by now escpecialy touching the scab with your bare hands. Do you have scabs on your hands or arms? If not it likely is just a plain old scab.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what do you use to clean it ? Also if it’s healing and itching yeah he’s gonna itch it . I would just keep an eye on it and try the tea bag method . And just watch and if you want maybe put a cone on him . To protect it and let it heal . But if it gets worse I would take him to a vet . Cause they should be able to tell you right then and there what it is ? But I’m just assuming . Hope the little guy gets better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thales

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used a Douxo product, it has a foamy texture and I guess it just irritated him more. I've put diluted Betadine last night since I don't have chamomile tea and it looks better today 🙂 I'll just let it be for now and see how it goes, if it looks worse I'll take him to the vet.

And about ringworm, I failed to mention that I used to foster kittens (that's how my cats got it in the first place, I wasn't happy). The last 2 kittens I took care of had ringworm a couple months ago and were treated with the usual stuff (baths and probably Itrafungol). Vet checked them and they were in the clear. But I guess I can't ruled it out if they somehow were not fully cured. I hope not I really don't want a round 2 of RW 😅 I will monitor my cats if I see any lesions.