I made it through Vet School!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey , thanks everyone!! I am so touched by your support - and have been thru the last sometimes difficult year of school!

tamgirl99, it is NEVER too late and even if you do not have all the prereqs - but with a BSc, you prob do - you can always make up courses. Experience these days is often looked at as important as are grades! I know people from Harvard whop told me they would never have made it to grad school if they had not so much life experience. Universities want people with experience and not merely good grades. So I say go for it! Ten yrs from now, you will be asking yourself, why didn't I?

Natalie, I would have more support in Boston - and I do think as a new vet ( I still feel like I am playing a role in some ways, still look the other way when someone says Dr, lol, like who, me?) - my mentors are there and if I run into a problem they are5 there to help. The fact that it is a CAT Clinic is a big plus.

The cost of living is obviously more here (Boston) than Vt but I managed to get through school on scholarships and a bit of help from my grandparents so I owe very little- tho I do worry about what I do owe. That'll also be a banner day - when they are paid off!

However, living outside the city makes it easier - it is more expensive to work right in the city than it is in the burbs and there are more cat owners (acc to a survey done here @ Tufts) in the burbs so that helps. I worry I may not like the way they operate the place tho it does look good. (I wish one could try out a place for while, lol) I have a pt job at the clinic here if I want it and you know for the first little while, I will keep that just because ER work is like critical care for animals and you have to really be on your toes and it is excellent experience! (Clearly, I won't have a social life for awhile but oh well ..I'll get to see lots of cute kitties and other animals so that'll make up for it.)

It would be great to go home but most of my friends are long gone- they are scattered across the country and even in other countries by now. My family is there but even my sister - who I am admittedly not as close as some sisters are - lives in Kentucky now.

I am leaning toward the cat clinic and your comments have helped me. Thanks again for all your support!!!!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Well done and congratulations. I think the cat clinic in the city would be a good place to build your confidence and am glad you are leaning that way.

vermontcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Siobhan!

That's great that you have a couple of job offers.
It sounds like you will be taking the job down in Boston, it sounds like that would be best since you are just starting out and will have your mentors nearby.
You could always come back to Vermont after you get a couple of years experience in Boston.

(I got an e-mail saying you tried to PM me, I have cleaned out my PM box now if you want to try again.)