I made a mistake. Will baby be ok?

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So... background:

I have a momma cat (sterilized after this litter) and kept 2 of her babies (13 weeks on friday / 3 months this saturday): a boy and a girl. Since momma is a "stray" she's used to being outside and she has obviously survived. Since there are many dogs and dangers in our neighborhood, we decided it was best to let her teach the babies the ropes of the road rather than if the babies get out, they are clueless and could get hurt worse so they are allowed outside, usually they limit themselves to the porch and garden. All are in the process of their deworming and vaccines.

My family and I live on a hillside so we live on 3 levels that are connected by outside and indoor stairs. My "room" is outside and down a flight of stairs from the main house.

Situation:

I stepped on my baby boy yesterday when I went to my room last night. It was dark and I didn't see him (he's a tuxedo baby) so when I took the first step down, I stepped right in his belly and he curled up my foot and was a little soft and squishy. Of course as soon as I felt him I jumped up and he ran a couple of feet to his momma.

I tried to find him in the garden but it was too dark. About 10 mins later I saw he was well as if nothing had happened. I took a little pouch of Whiskas Junior as a "Sorry" token and lured him inside. I gently picked him up and nothing seemed wrong with him. I put him on his back and rubbed him. He usually just goes a little limp after being picked up or rubbing, so when he was all calm and happy, I started to gently push his body and belly with my fingers to see if anything was broken or hurt him as I did it. I thought that if he was hiding him being hurt, at least with the gentle but firm pushing on his body, if anything was wrong he would jump up, squirm or speak out. He didn't so I think he is fine.

I have heard of cats being master pain hiders so I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet even though after my examination. He's always been very skittish and quiet so his attitude continues to be "normal" to me.

Thank you for reading and any insight into this. I'm really beating myself up mentally for this whole situation and I don't want anything to happen to my baby boy   

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Though it's nice that you are being cautious, in reality he is probably fine.  I think most cat owners have stepped on their cats at some point- I'll never forget my own horror when I stepped on my Bingley's tail for the first time. If he is acting normal at this point (playing, eating, sleeping, and using litterbox as usual) it is very very very likely that he is just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@tulosai  wow... thank you very much, this is reassuring. It's nice to know it's more common for this to happen than I thought. I almost cried after it happened, but after seeing him well, I calmed down.

He does seem fine, I'll check to see if he's going to the litter box well when I come home.

Thanks again.