I made a HUGE mistake

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
So..my cat just gave birth. She struggled for a good 45 minutes; short contractions, returning to the litter box to defecate, straining and distress. I called the emergency vet and they told me to bring her in but it's two hours away. So as soon as I got off the phone, her first kitten was born. I noticed the kitten was halfway out but she was continuing to push, so I thought 'maybe she needs help getting him out' and I assisted her by pulling the baby gently. Turns out, he was completely out and she had been working on chewing through the umbilical cord. So when I pulled him, the umbilical cord ripped the rest of the way. The kitten isn't bleeding from the cord but I'm afraid I've injured him. He didn't cry and he acts fine but I would like some advice.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, Lil Dude! Do you have neosporin on hand? That should provide that protective barrier. Is he nursing well? He will be getting valuable benefits from the maternal antibodies in the colostrum. Keeping the bedding fresh and clean will help as well.