I lost my job....very depressed and angry.

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are going through this. Are there ant Petcos or Petsmarts, they hire demonstrators for $10 an hour, I am sure you probabally made more at the factory...but if interested go to the Nutro site and click on demonstrators. I know how you feel, I worked for 20 years at a Kmart and it closed down, anyway I am at another Kmart now, but was out of work for awhile. Good luck to you.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I spent the day at a Consultant office with the rest of my ex-coworkers. I was shocked when the lady told us that the average life span of a job now is 3 years. YIKES! I didn't think I was asking too much to settle in somewhere and stay awhile but I guess I was!

Debby, are you feeling any better yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not feeling much better...but trying really hard to be optimistic. (sp?) It helps coming here...even though I don't have much time to...just to take my mind off of things for awhile. Can't sleep well...but then on the weekends I'm so tired all I want to do is sleep during the day...which is hard with a baby.

Still no word on the NAFTA thing...if it has been approved or not, so not sure if I have the college option or not. I could maybe get financial aid, but then I wouldn't have any income coming in...I get unemployment while I go to school with the NAFTA program. We can't make it on just Brent's income alone. We probably could if he didn't have so much child support to pay, but that is life. His kids need to be taken care of too.

The job market is so scary these days. I fear more and more factories and companies leaving America for the cheaper wages. One man told us that my company is also looking into buying a factory in China, because they pay their workers 5 cents an hour and the people live in tiny one room shacks attached to the factories, which the company provides, and they provide all their meals too, which I'm sure isn't much, and if they don't make their quotas at the end of their shifts, they have to go back in the evenings on their own time and complete them. Man! I feel very sorry for these people!!!

We are having to train the Mexicans now who are taking our jobs. I don't blame them..it isn't their fault...they have to make a living too, but it is so hard to train the very people who are taking your job away from you! One of them asked one of my co-workers why she seemed so down, and she said..."well, it isn't easy to be jobless after all these years, not sure what I'm going to do now." He just walked away and didn't say a word. What could he say?

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dougbug, don't be so admiring of Perot. His company, EDS, had the Chrysler contract, before my company did. The two call centers, for EDS, are in Nova Scotia and India. He just didn't want the jobs going to MEXICO.

Debby, hang in there. If you get a shot at schooling, by all means take it.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Cindy! And I didn't know that about Perot's company!
He sounds a bit hypocritical to me!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Debby, I don't know what to say other than I'm so, so sorry. It sucks, plain and simple. I'm so glad you're trying to be optimistic - it really does help! But I know how hard it can be.

Whenever you need them, there are lots of hugs for you here.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Debby
We are having to train the Mexicans now who are taking our jobs. I don't blame them..it isn't their fault...they have to make a living too, but it is so hard to train the very people who are taking your job away from you! One of them asked one of my co-workers why she seemed so down, and she said..."well, it isn't easy to be jobless after all these years, not sure what I'm going to do now." He just walked away and didn't say a word. What could he say?
Debby I can't believe this! You have to train the very people who are taking your jobs? And I can't believe their reaction when confronted with the hardships of the people being laid off. He could at least say, "I'm sorry." I just don't know what this world is coming to. It's rather upsetting.

Hang in there! I'm having a low day myself today. The job market is very scarey and overwhelming. <sigh>

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of our biggest customers found out we are closing and their business is being transfered to mexico...they freaked out...ordered 6 months worth of their parts all at once. We were told today that they (our "bosses") could not refuse any orders...so we have till the end of October...what is that about 4 weeks? to get 6 months worth of products built!!!! So now they are hiring new people like crazy on a temporary basis to help build these parts so we can be out the door by the end of Oct. and they are pushing us rather heavily to work overtime to do it. And we are supposed to care if these parts get out or not???????????????????? Sorry...but it is REAL hard to care anymore, when OUR butts are getting kicked out the door as well!!!!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Debby,

I sure wouldn't bust my butt to give these people productivity. Not after what they're doing to you all. I know you have to do your job, until the place closes down, in order to get your unemployment, but I sure wouldn't give them 150%, they don't deserve it.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by HopeHacker
Hi Debby,

I sure wouldn't bust my butt to give these people productivity. Not after what they're doing to you all. I know you have to do your job, until the place closes down, in order to get your unemployment, but I sure wouldn't give them 150%, they don't deserve it.
Wow! Somebody actually understands how I feel! Scary! Thanks Hope!!!!!!!!!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Debby, I wouldn't be knocking myself out, for these people. All that you owe these people is a fair days work, for a fair days wage - nothing more, nothing less.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Debby - why should you work extra harder when you are leaving? I gotta agree, screw them!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Debby, this is making me more and more angry. No way would I bust my butt to meet that goal when I know at the end I don't have a job. I'm not saying I'd be a total slacker. But like everyone else says... all you owe them is a reasonable day's work.

When I left I had to sign an agreement (in order to get the severance benefits) saying I was available to them for 1 year to answer any questions regarding the work I did. It is hard to enforce that, even in a court, so I'm not worried about it. Besides... I have selective memory recall when I selectively want to!

I also had to agree to not talk about my severance benefits in detail and not to take another job that is competitive. Those are not enforceable either but it's the idea they try to get you to sell your soul for a few bucks. It's like they say, "we're eliminating your job but you still have to be accountable to us." BULLSH*&

When I left a couple of weeks ago, I totally cleaned out my files and hard drive. I destroyed all the SOP's I wrote for conducting scientific procedures I was responsible for. If they want to keep the one incompetent girl just because she's been there 3 weeks longer then me, then they can have her. But she's on her own. She was really smug about it when I and my other coworker were the ones that got laid off. I've been told by a few friends still working there, that this girl is running around like a chicken with its head cut off in a panic because she doesn't know how to do anything they expect her to do. It's a long story but she's a real butt kisser and made my life hell early on. She has no education and all she has ever done is make yeast medium. There's nothing wrong with that. But if that's what they want to keep then let them try to train her. They're already finding out how much I really did and appreciating the fact I didn't have to be led around on a leash and have things spelled out for me.

Ironic that the new name I came up with for the company, was put into use this past Monday. Sometimes I wonder if they think about where it came from. It feels kind of like a kick in the teeth. I also got the news this week that 3 key people quit this week. One of them was the director of Protein Science and he quit because he was upset they let me and one other coworker go. So things are not all happy and shiney there. It's a shame but they're reaping what they've sowed!

Am I ranting here? Yeah... I guess I am. But I guess I'm going through the anger stage right now. Debby, you're not alone! It's not exactly the same situation but many of the same feelings.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Kiwideus
Debby - why should you work extra harder when you are leaving? I gotta agree, screw them!
Yeah, Debby. What are they going to do - fire you?

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by mzjazz2u
Debby, this is making me more and more angry. No way would I bust my butt to meet that goal when I know at the end I don't have a job. I'm not saying I'd be a total slacker. But like everyone else says... all you owe them is a reasonable day's work.

When I left I had to sign an agreement (in order to get the severance benefits) saying I was available to them for 1 year to answer any questions regarding the work I did. It is hard to enforce that, even in a court, so I'm not worried about it. Besides... I have selective memory recall when I selectively want to!

I also had to agree to not talk about my severance benefits in detail and not to take another job that is competitive. Those are not enforceable either but it's the idea they try to get you to sell your soul for a few bucks. It's like they say, "we're eliminating your job but you still have to be accountable to us." BULLSH*&

When I left a couple of weeks ago, I totally cleaned out my files and hard drive. I destroyed all the SOP's I wrote for conducting scientific procedures I was responsible for. If they want to keep the one incompetent girl just because she's been there 3 weeks longer then me, then they can have her. But she's on her own. She was really smug about it when I and my other coworker were the ones that got laid off. I've been told by a few friends still working there, that this girl is running around like a chicken with its head cut off in a panic because she doesn't know how to do anything they expect her to do. It's a long story but she's a real butt kisser and made my life hell early on. She has no education and all she has ever done is make yeast medium. There's nothing wrong with that. But if that's what they want to keep then let them try to train her. They're already finding out how much I really did and appreciating the fact I didn't have to be led around on a leash and have things spelled out for me.

Ironic that the new name I came up with for the company, was put into use this past Monday. Sometimes I wonder if they think about where it came from. It feels kind of like a kick in the teeth. I also got the news this week that 3 key people quit this week. One of them was the director of Protein Science and he quit because he was upset they let me and one other coworker go. So things are not all happy and shiney there. It's a shame but they're reaping what they've sowed!

Am I ranting here? Yeah... I guess I am. But I guess I'm going through the anger stage right now. Debby, you're not alone! It's not exactly the same situation but many of the same feelings.
Did you get the e-mail I sent you a few days ago? And don't feel bad for ranting...we need to! I feel your pain as well and you are being treated very very unfairly!!!!!!! I only have a few minutes online but wanted to check this thread. Thanks everyone!!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I got your email! Thanks! Do you check your email more often? AND did you see my new thread on new kitties?

luv those paws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry I am chiming in so late on this, but Debby, I am sorry to hear about your job. Being out of work can really suck, especially right now when everything is so tentative. I will send get a job vibes your way.

Also, I hope everything is ok with that lump.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Debby - I am keeping you in my prayers as I know that you are going thru a tough time right now!

Be angry but channel that anger into finding another job or finding training. Don't let them win. You are so much better then they are and you deserve all of the best!

tracywalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how things work there but here if you need to be retrained to compete in today's job market then they will let you draw EI bennies while you are studying. They may even help with your expenses. The first order of business is to get in to the Unemployment office and get yourself a counsellor. He/she will tell you if you qualify. Also you mentioned Computer training. Call all the IT companies in your area and ask them to tell you if they hire people with the qualificatoins you seek and if there are any certifications you need. Do some market research and then go for the courses depending on the available job market.
It is a fact that only about 10 percent of jobs are advertised. So you must get an updated resume and do some networking. Call some companies and ask them for an Information session. Its not a job interview. You are interviewing them to see if that is where you want to work. Aske them what qualifications they require and what their work environment is like. See if that would be a good fit for you. Ask them to critique your resume and interview skills. Then when the time comes to apply for these jobs, they may remember you.

Definately a career counsellor would be your first step. Good luck.