I lost my cat

pattykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a cat yesterday, he's a pretty big cat. I went to sleep last night and he explored the house while he had some alone time, now that I'm awake he is literally nowhere to be found. I checked in his hiding spots he's had since he's been here and more. I know for a fact that he's inside the house I'm just worried about him :/

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's totally normal for a new cat to hide
If you're 100% positive that the cat is inside the house and didn't get outside, then don't worry. Start searching room by room. Cats like dark places so get on your hands and knees and look under beds, sofas, etc. Don't make too much noise. Once you find your cat, don't pull him out from the hiding spot. You'll just scare your cat. Put a bow of food and water into the room and the litter box and close the door (if possible). It's best to confine a new cat to one room of the house for at least a few days so the cat can acclimate to his / her new surroundings. Many cats get overwhelmed and scared in a new home. An extra bedroom or bathroom or other room are usually good places to keep a new cat for a few days. Just be sure to cat-proof the room as much as possible.

Here are tips on how to help your new cat adjust and settle in:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/bringing-home-a-new-cat

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try checking in creative places. Cats can get themselves into surprisingly tights spaces. Up inside box spring mattresses, inside drawers, squashed between furniture and the wall, etc. Then definitely confine him to one room for now, with places you don't want him to reach securely blocked off, and then provide some nice hiding places you can access, like a cardboard box. He will feel less overwhelmed in a smaller space. Give him lots of yummy treats to help him understand that he's in good hands!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pattykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news he's been found! I'm not sure how in the world he got in there but he was under my bathroom sink. I put his food and litterbox in there and just letting him hang out some more until he wants to come explore some more :)

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad you found him!

For future reference (and for anyone else with the same problem), when I'm really stumped, I turn off all the lights and use a flashlight. In many cases the cat will come out on their own (they seem to be more comfortable in the dark especially when they are nervous) or they are easier to find in odd places because their eyes will reflect the light from the flashlight.