I lost my best friend today

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Jasmine suddenly started dragging her back leg late this morning. We took her to the vet at noon. She had a blood clot on her back, and was rapidly failing; there was nothing they could do for her, as she was over 12 years old. Jasmine is the 4th cat I've lost since January, 2009. The last was Smudge, last November. It doesn't get any easier, though. Not one bit.

I'd like to tell you about a dear, dear friend, Jasmine. Jasmine Marie was the most remarkable cat I've ever known, and I've known a lot of cats in my life. I first had the pleasure of meeting her when I met my husband-to-be; she was the love of his life. She was wary of "the other woman", of course, but we soon became friends. When DH was working late, Jazzy was my friend and confidante. She was darned near human! I've never met a smarter cat. She mothered the kittens we brought home, and disciplined the others (I called her the "Enforcer" and the "Iron Paw". She kept order in the house!) She also ensured that I accessorized properly every day. She'd stand by where I keep my jewelry, every morning, waiting for me, meowing if I forgot. I had no need for an alarm clock, either. If I yelped in pain, Jasmine ran over to check me out. She kept both the cats and us in line.

Jasmine was the first Maine Coon I ever met, and she began my love affair with the breed. She was a magnificent, beautiful cat, both in looks and personality. She adored humans.

DH and I were with her at the end, petting and kissing her. I hope I never see another big, tough, war-veteran Marine cry...

Farewell, Queen Jasmine; The Enforcer, The Iron Paw, the Jazzinator, Jazzy J., The Main Maine Coon, The Mother of All Maine Coons, The Maine Cooness, Her Majesty. This world will never be the same without you.

Thank you for listening. I appreciate it.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter also lost a kitty this way. I am so sorry. She was obviously not only loved, but revered.

I have a feeling Jazzy is aware of how you and your DH felt and is at the bridge now, being proud of the eloquent way that love was expressed here today.

God bless her and you and your hubby. It is so hard....we all know.
They really are our best friends, aren't they?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds like such a special girl, and my heart is breaking for you, and for your hubby. RIP, sweep Jasmine.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost your special girl!
All cats are wonderful, but she sounds like she was special.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful soul.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Our deepest condolences to you and DH.

She has been blessed to have you both in her life.

Rest in Peace dear Jasmine.

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Jasmine was obviously well loved. She was very lucky.

buttercup29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry for your loss of Jasmine. It is so tough to go through this and it sounds like she was a real sweety.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss of Jasmine. I hope your memories will comfort you.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear of your sad loss.

You obviously thought the world of her and loved her dearly.

Just once in a while we are gifted with a "special one" and it is so, so hard to say goodbye - I know, I recently lost my "special one".

(((Hugs))) to you and your husband.

RIP lovely Jasmine. Play at the Bridge special girl