I lost Bob in the house!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because we have been grieving so much for Daisy, DH took me to the shelter, and we adopted a five-month-old kitten. His name is Bob (we decided to keep the shelter name because he is a Manx, and the name suits him) and he came from a hoarding situation. He is extremely sweet, and purred very loud when I spoke to him, even though he hid in the room where you get to know a pet a little before you adopt. The worker told me he did not do well in the shelter, but always warmed up for belly rubs when they took him out of the cage. This is a totally different situation from Speck, who was younger and made himself right at home when he first arrived. It was suggested that we put Bob in a separate room where he wouldn't get lost. So, we put him in the cats' 750 square foot room and left him to get comfortable in his new surroundings. Now I can't find him! There are a lot of things to hide under, and I suspect that is exactly what he did. He couldn't have escaped the house; the room is as far from any exit doors as you can get. I am wondering if I should send Bree, our friendliest cat, in to find him. What am I to do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Look for him in all the places you can think of, and that means every nook and cranny possible. Set out food and water, and even treats - not to mention a litter box - and see if he comes out for any of those. Don't set them out in the middle of an open space, but close to an area that is less exposed. It might not be immediate, but if any of them are disturbed over time you know that he is in that room for sure. I'd also block that room off to the point that he can't get out of there to go other places. It doesn't mean he didn't already do that even though you don't think it is possible. A 750 sq ft room that hasn't been kitten-proofed is really too big of an area to use as his safe zone.

If you have a baby cam, you can focus it on the food/water area and then see where he comes out from to get to those things.

You will also need to spend time - lots of time - in that room, sitting on the floor reading a book out loud, but softly, and have treats to offer him if he should peek out of somewhere. Placing your hand on the floor, palm flat but upward, is the least intimidating way to try to give him treats. You may even have to start with setting some treats down a foot or more away from you.

I don't know about using one of your other cats as an enticer - that could go either way. If he is surprised by another cat, it could cause him to stay hidden longer. You will have to make a judgement call on that one.
Help! My Cat Is Lost! [Step By Step Guidance To Find Your Beloved Kitty] - TheCatSite
13 Practical Ways to Kitten-Proof Your Home - TheCatSite
When Can A Kitten Safely Explore The House? [Answered] - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally found him hiding next to a box on their hearth. Now he is under the dog hammock DH bought for them. He is extremely sweet to me, very receptive to petting. The strange thing is, he scratches DH. It won't be long until DH is his favorite, but for now I am enjoying the attention. :catrub:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad the little rascal turned up. They can hide anywhere, and some "wheres" we'd never think of. I just saw a video clip of someone looking for their new kitten. He turned up INSIDE the base of the toilet, which was solid on the front and sides, but open in the back, leaving a kitten-size cranny! The owners didn't even realize that the rear of the base was not enclosed!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally found him hiding next to a box on their hearth. Now he is under the dog hammock DH bought for them. He is extremely sweet to me, very receptive to petting. The strange thing is, he scratches DH. It won't be long until DH is his favorite, but for now I am enjoying the attention. :catrub:
Is DH your signifigant other? He could have had a bad experience with men in the past. Have your other feed him and water him. He will open up.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IndyJones IndyJones yes, he is my significant other. I do believe he had a bad experience with men in the past. I am not sure if he came from a backyard breeder. All I was told was that he was rescued from a hoarding situation.

Tragedy struck today when I got up and again, couldn't find him. I looked for a long time and then my blood ran cold when I found that one of the air vents had been lifted and was moved halfway out. Large enough for him to crawl into. He is in the duct work. I called the HVAC company and they suggested putting out food near the vent. I did that. They said it would be very expensive (DH was told 5K) if they had to come out. We can't afford it. The man feels he is probably stuck and will die. I actually went with DH into the crawl space to try to locate him in the labyrinth of duct work, but couldn't. He hasn't meowed once since I've met him, so that makes it more difficult.

This is all my fault. Another couple was interested in him, but he hadn't been neutered yet. That's a shelter rule. I almost didn't take him because they wanted him, perhaps looking for that specific breed. I just wanted another cat and felt a connection with him. I feel like if they had gotten him, he would be safe now. I am devastated.

DH and his friend are going under the house again tomorrow. I plan to call the HVAC company the maintenance man at work recommended in an unrelated conversation about who was both inexpensive and good. I am a terrible person who failed this poor cat and probably brought an early end to his life. He could have had a good home with those other people and look at what I've done.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IndyJones IndyJones yes, he is my significant other. I do believe he had a bad experience with men in the past. I am not sure if he came from a backyard breeder. All I was told was that he was rescued from a hoarding situation.

Tragedy struck today when I got up and again, couldn't find him. I looked for a long time and then my blood ran cold when I found that one of the air vents had been lifted and was moved halfway out. Large enough for him to crawl into. He is in the duct work. I called the HVAC company and they suggested putting out food near the vent. I did that. They said it would be very expensive (DH was told 5K) if they had to come out. We can't afford it. The man feels he is probably stuck and will die. I actually went with DH into the crawl space to try to locate him in the labyrinth of duct work, but couldn't. He hasn't meowed once since I've met him, so that makes it more difficult.

This is all my fault. Another couple was interested in him, but he hadn't been neutered yet. That's a shelter rule. I almost didn't take him because they wanted him, perhaps looking for that specific breed. I just wanted another cat and felt a connection with him. I feel like if they had gotten him, he would be safe now. I am devastated.

DH and his friend are going under the house again tomorrow. I plan to call the HVAC company the maintenance man at work recommended in an unrelated conversation about who was both inexpensive and good. I am a terrible person who failed this poor cat and probably brought an early end to his life. He could have had a good home with those other people and look at what I've done.
Don't do this to yourself. Things happen. No one is to blame. Try putting a speaker near the air vent and play mother cat sounds. there are videos on Youtube of mother cats calling for their kittens. He may go to the sound and you can grab him. When I can't find one of the girls I play kitten sounds and it works every time. Come on Bob! Go to your new family.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

First thing first you are not a horrible person. Thing's like this happen Kat0121 Kat0121 has made a excellent suggestion. Is there any way you could contact a firms that unblock drains because they have those cameras that check for blockages if you tell them you just want them to check the vents just to see if he's in there it may be cheaper. That way you'd know were he is and if he can get himself out. Could it be he hasn't gone in there. Or maybe contact some rescue groups to see if they could help even if it's just suggestions. Really hope you find him soon, my other thought is the fire department may have cameras that could check. Good luck.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bree has gone to the vent in the kitchen. She is the first to find anything - if I drop medication or even jewelry. I call to him softly but don't hear anything. I played the mother cat sounds next to the vent in the bathroom, which is open because I can shut the girls out. I am despondent and desperate.

How could I have brought him into this horrible living environment? I told him when he was afraid at the shelter that he would live the life of a king and he didn't know it yet. I wish I could take it all back. I didn't even know cats could lift a vent, especially a heavier one. We stopped using cat fountains because Bree kept unplugging them from the wall. I should have known that if she could pull out a secure plug, then he could lift a vent.

I am going to try lowering a knotted sheet into the vent. I am sick on my stomach.

Thank you for your kind words.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found someone willing to come out from an HVAC service that the maintenance man at work recommended in a general conversation. I am sending him back to the shelter if he is still alive and we can catch him. I will ask them to contact the other couple if they have their information. I am pretty good at trapping, as I have done it for TNR. The local shelter is no kill, so at least I don't have to worry he will be PTS.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am in shock. DH's friend and his daughter came over and went under the house. We took all the vents up and they cut into the duct work. I almost fell out when he ran through my living room. We quickly covered all the vents. The HVAC man said there were so many ways he could have died under the house, had he went a certain way, he would have been electrocuted. I am still sick and unsure of myself.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in shock. DH's friend and his daughter came over and went under the house. We took all the vents up and they cut into the duct work. I almost fell out when he ran through my living room. We quickly covered all the vents. The HVAC man said there were so many ways he could have died under the house, had he went a certain way, he would have been electrocuted. I am still sick and unsure of myself.
I'm so glad you found him. Brilliant news.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
nurseangel nurseangel , I know you, and I know you know cats. And I know that you know that cats can, and often do, confound everything we attempt to keep them safe. They are masters at this. You have helped so many in similar situations, with total support, and without a word of blame. PLEASE do for yourself what you have done for others. Forgive yourself, make sure the vent covers are secure, then LOVE THIS CAT WITH ALL OF YOUR GREAT, GIVING HEART!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This could happen to anyone. Please stop beating yourself up about it. Bob is OK and back where he belongs. With you. He didn't die. He found his way back to you and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Daisy was there to guide him. Take some time to relax, decompress and snuggle with your boy. Everything is going to be OK. You're a wonderful pet parent. :hugs:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I have been extremely sad lately, and so much has been going on. I am one of those people who loves her MIL, though she can be feisty at times, and her illness was so sudden I didn't see it coming. Plus, it tears me to pieces when a resident dies at the nursing home where I work. I try not to let it show, but it gets to me. I know you didn't come here to hear my whole life story, but I have been pulling away from my friends, and don't have many people in my life to talk to, except for here.

Bob came out and let me pet him yesterday evening. He is not interested in playing with toys, he only wants to be loved. He is still wary of DH, but he is receptive to some attention from him. Bob is gone again today, but I know he is somewhere in the living room. Probably sleeping under the sofa. My back is out, so I am home a lot, except when I am working. He literally leans on me for pets, and sometimes falls right out in the floor like Lil Gray. Yes, they will both let me touch the tummy. I still regret not letting the other couple have him, because they wanted him and maybe they knew the breed? I suspect he has been through a lot in his young life. He doesn't seem to have had much human contact. IDK, I guess you would have called my aunt "famous" in the Persian cat world, but her kittens were wild, too. I don't know if he is a true Manx, but that is what the shelter said he is. I read online that they are exceptionally intelligent. He is one crafty Little Man.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you didn't come here to hear my whole life story, but I have been pulling away from my friends, and don't have many people in my life to talk to, except for here.
Darlin, this is a safe space for SO many of us. If it helps you, and by helping you, we also help Bob, you vent all you need to.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bob is continually losing himself, which he did again this evening. He was under the curio in the living room, which has cat boxes stacked in front of it. (Our living room has basically been turned over to a cat playroom.) I honestly think he was trying to escape through that same vent (all the vents have been duct-taped down now) and meeting resistance, hid under the curio instead. He makes not a sound. We knew he was in the living room, but we thought he was under the sofa. DH started moving boxes and there he was.

Again, thank you all. It's been awful lately. I usually try to roll with the punches, it's just been a lot at once. :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I have been extremely sad lately, and so much has been going on. I am one of those people who loves her MIL, though she can be feisty at times, and her illness was so sudden I didn't see it coming. Plus, it tears me to pieces when a resident dies at the nursing home where I work. I try not to let it show, but it gets to me. I know you didn't come here to hear my whole life story, but I have been pulling away from my friends, and don't have many people in my life to talk to, except for here.

Bob came out and let me pet him yesterday evening. He is not interested in playing with toys, he only wants to be loved. He is still wary of DH, but he is receptive to some attention from him. Bob is gone again today, but I know he is somewhere in the living room. Probably sleeping under the sofa. My back is out, so I am home a lot, except when I am working. He literally leans on me for pets, and sometimes falls right out in the floor like Lil Gray. Yes, they will both let me touch the tummy. I still regret not letting the other couple have him, because they wanted him and maybe they knew the breed? I suspect he has been through a lot in his young life. He doesn't seem to have had much human contact. IDK, I guess you would have called my aunt "famous" in the Persian cat world, but her kittens were wild, too. I don't know if he is a true Manx, but that is what the shelter said he is. I read online that they are exceptionally intelligent. He is one crafty Little Man.
Bob is with the family that he should be with. He loves you already. No surprise there. He will warm up to your DH too. He can talk to Bob and let him know how much he is wanted and loved. They understand so much of what we say.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 is correct. This is a safe place for a lot of people. We understand each other. :hugs: