I Live With A Cat

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I have no idea if I'm going to put it up or not. I actually think the underside of the carpet feels like sisal; that would probably be better for him to scratch. I don't even have a glue gun & never heard of low VOC so I'm quite a few steps away. All I have is the idea and a carpet remnant/sample I planned on cutting into 5" strips and gluing to the wall.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add to my previous comment. Hot glue gun, the glue won't hold up well to a cat at least not my cats, my heaviest is Rusty at 19 pounds. I would recommend a thick wallpaper on the wall and let it dry really well. Then the carpet glue I noted above on the wallpaper so it doesn't destroy the wall pulling wallpaper off down the road :) Carpet glue won't come off easy. Make sure you cover the entire surface with carpet glue you don't want areas they can pull away at.
So true! Those "PAWS-PURR-ous" types can really wreak havoc on delicate stuff. My ex, who was a finish carpenter for a long time, and I built cat houses, a cat waystation, a catio, etc., and redid some scratching posts. We always used a hot glue gun AND carpentry staples. Ya just don't wanna take chances with those precious feliners.;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I have no idea if I'm going to put it up or not. I actually think the underside of the carpet feels like sisal; that would probably be better for him to scratch. I don't even have a glue gun & never heard of low VOC so I'm quite a few steps away. All I have is the idea and a carpet remnant/sample I planned on cutting into 5" strips and gluing to the wall.
Carpet undersides are surefire cat-pleasers! You're so right -- those crossthreaded coarse surfaces just BEG for clawing!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to a hardware store and tell them what you are making and mention low VOC they will steer you in the right direction :) The glue from a hot glue gun on a wall won't hold up well. Your idea is awesome and no reason why you can't have the best of both worlds. And by you I mean your kitty that will be entertained and thus...

Last edited:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - I think you're simply delightful, but you're crazy - you do know that, right?

;)
That's like calling three people crazy at the same time. At least I have "Crazy Cat Gentleman" posted for all to see. You both just have "TCS Member" that isn't much of an advanced warning to others :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's like calling three people crazy at the same time. At least I have "Crazy Cat Gentleman" posted for all to see. You both just have "TCS Member" that isn't much of an advanced warning to others :)
Shane Kent Shane Kent - I can't speak for tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 , but I really don't need some status line or siggy to that effect. If someone doesn't know after reading two or three of my posts, they probably just can't read.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Shane Kent Shane Kent - I can't speak for tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 , but I really don't need some status line or siggy to that effect. If someone doesn't know after reading two or three of my posts, they probably just can't read.
They should get advanced warning, take my word for it, people like you are contageous :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
scraggles scraggles - Since I wanted to check through the whole thread after @golondrina posted about images not showing up, I thought I'd say that the thread was a wonderful idea - it's one of the most entertaining and absolutely hilarious threads on TCS!
Awh - thanks 1Cat! - I have to say I've been having a good laugh at these photos too! :spew:

I thought of another one - I think I've posted it elsewhere on this site but it fits in with this thread - it was taken during the summer when Scraggles was shedding his winter coat.

I most certainly live with a (long-haired) cat.

IMAG1779.jpg

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Not sure if you know already but be sure to use Low VOC carpet glue for cat stuff.

I used Solvent Free, Low VOCs glue when I built the following. My cat Taz is very sensitive to smells and he has no problem being on it. If it was giving off a chemical smell he wouldn't go on it.

you want to sell one Shane?! Wow great craftsmanship! And a nice WIDE top shelf! The ones in the stores are way too small for my Honeybee Monster. For now we have the 2 jungle gyms but I need a new one for the bedroom-this gives me some ideas...thanks for the mention of the glue issue.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I love that you are a crazy cat man-but I agree with Shane-nothing wrong with a witty signature..lol. I know you will come up with something snappy-just be sure not to laugh too loud lest you scare the poor cats again...

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
you want to sell one Shane?! Wow great craftsmanship! And a nice WIDE top shelf! The ones in the stores are way too small for my Honeybee Monster. For now we have the 2 jungle gyms but I need a new one for the bedroom-this gives me some ideas...thanks for the mention of the glue issue.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I love that you are a crazy cat man-but I agree with Shane-nothing wrong with a witty signature..lol. I know you will come up with something snappy-just be sure not to laugh too loud lest you scare the poor cats again...
I wish I had the time to make and sell them. I was hoping to get some of KittyPa's perches made this year, a carpet covered version of it. So much rain this summer it set me back on the deck I am building at the cottage. KittyPa perches will have to wait until next year :(

I am going to switch to KittyPa's design because I really like it a lot. I wouldn't make the carpet covered tubes again because the cats don't use them. I thought for sure they would lay in the tubes but instead they lay on top of them.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Shane Kent Shane Kent I hope you can finish the deck-I was hoping to get one built this year but I just don't have the funds saved up to pay for it-right now the one we have is in soso condition. Perfectly cat safe but I don't walk on it much. It's mostly pumpkin faces bed during the day as she sleeps outside all day long on the deck. And I don't want to take away a nice clean bed for her in the sunshine..winter coming we won't have much of warm days left...

I found my girls don't really use the lower levels=they always zoom up to the top or don't go on them at all. They scratch the carpet on them but that's it. I think Honeybee sleeps up on hers because I can't reach her and bug her..because I can't help bugging the Bee Kitty when she will slash me and give me dirty looks then later on come rub against me and jump in my lap.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awh - thanks 1Cat! - I have to say I've been having a good laugh at these photos too! :spew:

I thought of another one - I think I've posted it elsewhere on this site but it fits in with this thread - it was taken during the summer when Scraggles was shedding his winter coat.

I most certainly live with a (long-haired) cat.

View attachment 203379
Do I see a sweater in the making? A scarf? A cap? :lolup::cutecat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had the time to make and sell them. I was hoping to get some of KittyPa's perches made this year, a carpet covered version of it. So much rain this summer it set me back on the deck I am building at the cottage. KittyPa perches will have to wait until next year :(

I am going to switch to KittyPa's design because I really like it a lot. I wouldn't make the carpet covered tubes again because the cats don't use them. I thought for sure they would lay in the tubes but instead they lay on top of them.
My Elvis would definitely tunnel in them. He's the Tunnel King. Before I brought the tunnel in, he was just, you know, The King. :winkcat: