I know enough to be dangerous so could use some imput with abandoned 3-4 week old feral kittens.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TNR has been done for years.  DEFINITELY get involved in this, it's wonderful your town is considering this.  The old thinking is just to kill them and that has gone on for years.  Neutering and releasing them again actually works BETTER to control the population, but it's hard to convince public officials of that, not to mention the avid bird lovers who blame feral cats for every bird loss that occurs, despite the overwhelming evidence that it is us, humans, taking away the birds' habitat that is their biggest threat.  [I could use that little gif of a soapbox here if I knew where to find it!]  The TNR movement needs all the support it can get, and you belong in it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my neighbor and I first started to take cats in and neuter them I looked into TNR programs locally - our Human society had one. I was told you had to get the colony certified as a feral colony. Given that my other neighbor wanted the cats and the bulk of them were on his property we didn't exactly qualify. I am hoping that with a city wide program the standards may be relaxed a little and we can get 'community' cats in ...... or at least our neighborhood somehow. I will let you know when I get more information.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe you can get the neighbor involved, since you are not TAKING the cats, merely getting them vetted and returning to his property.  Who would turn down free neuters and vaccinations?  Nobody who cares about the cats, that's for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This neighbor has requested we stop. He believes it is mutilation. We (my other neighbor & I) have continued anyway, but we have tried to be discreet about it.

In fact she is concerned about having the ears notched. I figure we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Trying to keep harmony in the neighborhood.

I was told we would have TNR about 15 cats before we get to that tipping point. We have done 8 but every year more show up.